HyperDex 1.0.rc1 Release Announcement

Robert Escriva

Jan 16, 2013, 8:49:26 AM1/16/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
We are proud to announce HyperDex 1.0.rc1, a novel NoSQL store that
provides ground-breaking high performance, strong consistency and fault
tolerance guarantees not found in other open source NoSQL stores. The
highlights of this new release are:

- A new storage backend, based on LevelDB, to improve disk utilization
and performance.

- A new fault-tolerant coordinator that is easy to set up and manage.

- Improvements to the replication protocol to make failover faster and
seamless.

- A new auto-scaling feature that will optimize the internal
concurrency used by the data servers to take advantage of the number
of cores available.

- Packages for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS make it easier to deploy the system.

- An expanded API that provides:
- efficient retrieval of object by secondary attributes (i.e. SEARCH)
- rich data types including lists, sets, and maps
- atomic arithmetic operations (inc, del, mul, div, and, or, xor, mod)
- atomic string operations (string prepend, string append)
- atomic list/set/map operations (add, remove, intersect, union, etc)
- range searches for strings, integers and floats
- efficient group operations (group delete and count)
- a new put_if_not_exist operation for using HyperDex as a lock manager

- Updated documentation to demonstrate the new features.

Binary packages for Debian 6, Ubuntu 12.04, and Fedora 17 are available
on our Download page [1], as well as source tarballs for other Linux
platforms.

Thanks,
The HyperDex Team

1. http://hyperdex.org/download/

Maxi

Jan 16, 2013, 10:03:31 AM1/16/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Will you publish new docs?

Robert Escriva

Jan 16, 2013, 10:04:58 AM1/16/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Done. They are also available as a PDF in the tarball.

-Robert

Emin Gün Sirer

Jan 16, 2013, 10:05:59 AM1/16/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the tutorial, quick start guide, and the detailed API
documentation have all been updated and are on the website.

Göran Krampe

Jan 17, 2013, 7:32:33 AM1/17/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

Congratulations on the release (I just discovered HyperDex) and also on a seemingly very good piece of software.

Two small things:

- The link on the download page at the text "More download formats are available here" doesn't work - I nginx is a bit tightlipped there.

- I went through compiling HyperDex from source on Ubuntu 12.10 and ended up at a recipe that is a bit more complete (and hopefully correct) than the one described, you might want to copy parts:

regards, Göran

Robert Escriva

Jan 17, 2013, 8:53:17 AM1/17/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for pointing out the broken link. It was a permissions issue
that I've fixed.

I looked at your blog entry and it looks good. I'd strongly recommend
changing the list of tools to include "bison" instead of "byacc" and
"libgoogle-glog-dev" (Google's log library) instead of "glogg" (QT4
library). The first change is just a matter of my preference, while the
second is necessary to get HyperDex to build.

I've borrowed a bit from your blog to update our /downloads/ page.

Thanks,
Robert

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 07:32:33AM -0500, Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hey!
> Congratulations on the release (I just discovered HyperDex) and also on a
> seemingly very good piece of software.
> Two small things:
> - The link on the download page at the text "More download formats [1]are
> available here" doesn't work - I nginx is a bit tightlipped there.
> - I went through compiling HyperDex from source on Ubuntu 12.10 and ended
> up at a recipe that is a bit more complete (and hopefully correct) than
> the one described, you might want to copy parts:
>       [2]http://goran.krampe.se/2013/01/16/hyperdex/
> regards, G�ran
>
> --
>

> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. http://hyperdex.org/src/
> 2. http://goran.krampe.se/2013/01/16/hyperdex/
> WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/rescrv/.cache/keyring-RXAWoQ/pkcs11: No such file or directory

Emin Gün Sirer

Jan 17, 2013, 11:12:06 AM1/17/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com, hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! This is a very nice write-up Göran. I scheduled to tweet it around this afternoon.

Best,
- egs

Göran Krampe

Jan 17, 2013, 1:23:29 PM1/17/13

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:53:17 PM UTC+1, Robert Escriva wrote:
Thank you for pointing out the broken link.  It was a permissions issue
that I've fixed.

Also, while I am in the "picking mode" - there are links in the docs to "/downloads" instead of "/download". :)

I looked at your blog entry and it looks good.  I'd strongly recommend
changing the list of tools to include "bison" instead of "byacc" and
"libgoogle-glog-dev" (Google's log library) instead of "glogg" (QT4
library).  The first change is just a matter of my preference, while the
second is necessary to get HyperDex to build.

Ok, funny that I managed to build with the wrong "glog"... Anyway, fixed the article.

regards, Göran

PS. Me and Nicolas Petton are considering making a binding for Pharo Smalltalk and test HyperDex as a backend for Oak instead of Riak. Oak is a ... OODBish thing for Pharo.

Emin Gün Sirer

Jan 17, 2013, 3:34:20 PM1/17/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Also, while I am in the "picking mode" - there are links in the docs to "/downloads" instead of "/download". :)

Thanks, we'll fix!

PS. Me and Nicolas Petton are considering making a binding for Pharo Smalltalk and test HyperDex as a backend for Oak instead of Riak. Oak is a ... OODBish thing for Pharo.

Fantastic! We're about to go through our bindings, bring them up to date with the 1.0 API, and integrate them into the main software distro. We'd love to include Pharo/Oak.

Best,
- egs

Robert Escriva

Jan 18, 2013, 7:23:01 AM1/18/13
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
I've fixed up the link. I think you may have managed to build with the
wrong glog if the other was already installed from elsewhere.

-Robert