Hyperaudio Converter

Mark Boas

Dec 16, 2013, 12:51:21 PM12/16/13
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
I've been working away on the various tools that make up the Hyperaudio ecosystem. Thanks to a loosely coupled architecture, many of these tools can be used standalone, which means you can try them out before they are integrated.

The Hyperaudio Converter is a tool to convert from SRT (a popular subtitle format) to Hypertranscript - (the format we use). It will be used on both client and server, and its basest level it allows people to paste in an SRT file and convert it, but we also want the same code to function on the server so that we can pull stuff in and convert automatically. Luckily we are using JavaScript on the server side too! :)

I noticed the other day that a useful thing to do was break transcripts up into paragraphs for readability, I didn't want to do anything too complex here, so seeing as we had estimate timings, I'm allowing the user to choose what length pause would constitute an appropriate paragraph break. However while I was experimenting I noticed that people often pause in the middle of a sentence, which makes for a less than ideal paragraph break, so I included an option to not break unless the block of text finished with a question mark, full-stop or exclamation mark.

I also included a rendered view of the transcript so you can see what the finished transcript will look like. Next we *could* hook a video up to it and make the transcript interactive, this would give people a feeling of what settings worked, before moving on to the Hyperaudio Cleaner or perhaps deciding it was 'good enough'.

So here it is : http://hyperaud.io/lab/ha-converter/

Try heading over to amara.org and snagging some subtitles from there (or wherever) and pasting them in.

Happy as ever to get feedback from you guys (the good and the bad).

Cheers

Mark

Mark Boas

Dec 16, 2013, 1:16:40 PM12/16/13
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
I should clarify that SRT is a common format for subtitles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.srt#SubRip_text_file_format

Andrew Kuklewicz

Dec 16, 2013, 1:18:54 PM12/16/13
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
Looks very cool.  Where is the hypertranscript format spec available?

Cheers,
-Andrew

Andrew Kuklewicz

Mark Boas

Jan 3, 2014, 12:35:24 PM1/3/14
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in replying, holidays and code are my only excuse.

There is no spec as such but maybe we should create one. Think I'll explain the format in another post, so people can find it easily.

Best

Mark

Andrew Kuklewicz

Jan 3, 2014, 2:50:05 PM1/3/14
to hyper...@googlegroups.com, hyper...@googlegroups.com
No worries, still away to Oregon for the holidays myself.

I'm thinking about integration for popuparchive.com, and a shared data format could be a start.

- Andrew