public beta is finally ready!

Mark Boas

Dec 21, 2014, 7:31:14 AM12/21/14
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

An update:

Hyperaud.io has been fortunate enough to be sponsored by the Knight Foundation and Mozilla, however funding came to an end in the Summer and since then we've been working on Hyperaudio in our spare time in an attempt to get into a reasonable state to be considered public beta worthy. I should say a very big thanks to Laurian Gridinoc (@gridinoc) and Mark Panaghiston (@thepag) for working on it without compensation.

Hyperaudio is currently a labour of love, actually it's a lot of fun to work on and we're looking for other contributors - if there are any budding coders or designers out there our repo is here https://github.com/hyperaudio/ Feel free to issue pull requests etc if you can see where things can be improved - I'm sure there are many places!!!

All our code is MIT licensed and our open source nature is part of the reason why we weren't given non profit status in the US (as I understood it). Instead we're going to pursue teh route of becoming a Public Benefit Corp, the next best thing. The downside of not being a non-profit is that we have to pay the full amount for the third-party alignment software we use - at $500 USD a month there is a limited time for which we can do this without further sponsorship, but we have it until the end of the year at least!

Recently we used parts of the Hyperaudio clientside library in a piece for Al Jazeera - palestineremix.com and in doing so identified ways of making things better, mostly more performant and working more smoothly on mobile which we feel is an important area for Hyperaudio.

We've pushed the latest version the other day and now anyone can sign up and take part. It's going to be a little chaotic but maybe that's a good thing and releasing during what are holidays for many will encourage people to be playful.

What we really want to know is what can be improved, you can be as blunt as you want - we've got thick skins and know that there is a lot of room for improvement so don't beat about the bush. If you have ideas of what Hyperaudio should become, throw them out there too! We'd really like this to be a community driven project.

Very excited to see how people use Hyperaudio, I'll be adding screen cams and tips to http://hyperaud.io/beta-getting-started/

Here's a list of some of the new features:

- alignment support for English, Spanish, French and German (submit text and audiovisual content in these languages and we'll take care of aligning them).
- support for YouTube, Internet Archive and audio and video from fixed URLs *anywhere* on the web.
- embedding capability of transcripts and mixes, useful for blogs etc
- improvements to the cleaner
- converter now converts Speechmatics.com JSON into Hyperaudio transcript format
- ability to view media from the media pages

Also contact us if you want to set up a perosnalised site such as http://chattanooga.hyperaud.io/

I'll be contacting the 500 or so people on our mailing list tomorrow but I wanted to share with people on the list first!

http://hyperaud.io/signup/

Cheers

Mark

Jeremy Bullard

Jan 18, 2015, 12:54:02 AM1/18/15
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
Surprisingly, Hyperaudio also works amazingly well with other languages, even Arabic. Because Arabic is a Right-to-left languages, someone needs to switch the text rendering and the direction of the cursor but the cursor does follow the text correctly within microseconds of the audio. I would be thrilled to see these adjustments made for use in Arabic and other Right-to-left languages. http://hyperaud.io/pad/viewer/?t=UI7OXwK9TSauAoaKEr7x-w

Mark

Jan 18, 2015, 5:28:18 AM1/18/15
to hyper...@googlegroups.com
Yup check out palestineremix.com for more Hyperaudio in Arabic! We've made these adjustments but not fed them back into Hyperaudio core code yet. I need to blog about this :)