Urban Hygiene Promotion in Emergencies

Toby Gould

Aug 27, 2015, 3:48:57 AM8/27/15
to hygienepromotionforum
I am running a course in Jordan in September on urban WASH in emergencies and wondered if people have tips/good practice or even case studies on hygiene promotion in urban emergencies.  Key areas to look at what be finding and establishing what communities are and who might be targeted; key messages to use and also effective media.

Any thoughts or pointers would be gratefully received

Thank you
Toby Gould

Sarah

Aug 27, 2015, 6:43:24 AM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

Hi Toby,

Hope you are well.

There is some info in the UNICEF cholera toolkit on cholera related HP in Haiti I am pretty sure. There are links to examples of materials. I presume they are available on line if you go through the links in the toolkit. If not and you see a link you'd like to access you can email me and I can try and locate it from the USB I have here.

http://www.unicef.org/cholera/

Hope it goes well.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Brian Reed

Aug 27, 2015, 7:08:12 AM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

Hi Toby

These may be of use

https://wedc-knowledge.lboro.ac.uk/details.html?id=21749

https://wedc-knowledge.lboro.ac.uk/details.html?id=21728

http://wedc.lboro.ac.uk/resources/who_notes/WHO_TNE_10_Hygiene_promotion_in_emergencies.pdf

regards

Brian

Brian Reed BSc (Hons)(Dunelm), PGDip (Lond), MSc (N’cle), CEng, CEnv, C.WEM, MICE, MCIWEM, FHEA

Lecturer

Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC)

School of Civil and Building Engineering

The John Pickford Building

Loughborough University

Leicestershire  LE11 3TU  UK

Developing knowledge and capacity

in water and sanitation

+ 44 (0) 1509 228307

http://wedc.lboro.ac.uk

https://twitter.com/wedcuk

https://www.facebook.com/wedc.lboro

Download free resources from the WEDC Knowledge Base:

http://wedc.lboro.ac.uk/knowledge/know.html

Save the date:

39th WEDC International Conference

To be held at Kumasi, Ghana

11 - 15 July 2016

Aug 27, 2015, 7:26:05 AM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian,

I am training people with pretty good hygiene promotion background who want to work more specifically in urban emergencies, they are useful background documents but a stronger emphasis on urban challenges would be good.

Thanks
Toby

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hygienepromotionforum" group.

Brian Reed

Aug 27, 2015, 9:13:38 AM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

You’ve reminded me of this paper at this year’s WEDC conference – very well presented and stimulating. The papers should be online soon. This paper was a good example of “community engagement” where the NGO had to empower/ devolve responsibility to small groups of households due to the very scattered nature of settlement, in and around existing communities that resulted in sporadic visits from the NGO, so spatial distribution was having a big impact on WASH activities.

In the session previous to this paper there were a few HP papers – but mainly rural/ programming or ebola rather than urban

There was a discussion in the conference about urban emergencies – mainly about the technological differences but somebody did mention the different expectations of people in the current Syria context, relating to standards of sanitation (e.g. used to water borne sewerage) and the challenges of meeting “demand” / managing expectations.

There may be some other case studies in previous conference papers – but humanitarian work seldom gets written up a paper as people move on to the next emergency… (hint to everybody – next WEDC conference is next July in Ghana – write papers now!)

Regards

Arab-2198.pdf

Toby Gould

Aug 27, 2015, 9:31:03 AM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Thank you very much for this, there is quite a lot here that is useful and certainly very appropriate, I will read through in more detail.

If anyone has anything similar – whether written as a paper or just a paragraph or two on what worked or didn’t, on how to engage fragmented communities, on media used – ideas like in Sierra Leone, face to face promotion about ebola become the most effective because of trust issues of other media and the complexity of messages meant this was an expensive and consuming but also most effective method.

Thank you very much

Toby Gould

Aug 27, 2015, 10:18:08 AM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sarah,

I am still exploring all the links but yes there are some useful HP materials from Haiti here
Toby

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hygienepromotionforum" group.

Brian Reed

Aug 27, 2015, 12:13:28 PM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

Sarah’s mention of Haiti reminded me of another paper by Mazeau. It’s on sanitation marketing rather than hygiene promotion but it has parallels with the challenge of providing water in some of these urban areas, as in the paper by Boot. They are good illustrations of the differences between urban and rural approaches

Regards

Brian

Brian Reed BSc (Hons)(Dunelm), PGDip (Lond), MSc (N’cle), CEng, CEnv, C.WEM, MICE, MCIWEM, FHEA

Lecturer

Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC)

School of Civil and Building Engineering

The John Pickford Building

Loughborough University

Leicestershire  LE11 3TU  UK

Developing knowledge and capacity

in water and sanitation

+ 44 (0) 1509 228307

http://wedc.lboro.ac.uk

https://twitter.com/wedcuk

https://www.facebook.com/wedc.lboro

Download free resources from the WEDC Knowledge Base:

http://wedc.lboro.ac.uk/knowledge/know.html

Save the date:

39th WEDC International Conference

To be held at Kumasi, Ghana

11 - 15 July 2016

Mazeau-2263.pdf
Boot-2304.pdf

Paul OSullivan

Aug 27, 2015, 2:15:56 PM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toby,

I did some work in Kadutu, S. Kivu, DRC looking at urban WaSH in slum/transient settlements. I've included (I hope!) the process, training sessions, tool kit and exec summery, which might be useful as an example of research and findings.

Oxfam GB have the complete reports and these are only draft copies.

Good luck

Aug 27, 2015, 2:18:26 PM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Kadutu DRC, Urban WaSH Research Methods.

Aug 27, 2015, 2:20:17 PM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Kadutu S Kivu Urban WaSH Research. Executive Summary. Draft.

Aug 27, 2015, 2:33:27 PM8/27/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toby!

As if by magic, the latest paper from ALNAP's urban COP - engaging communities in urban environments: http://www.alnap.org/resource/12276.aspx

I haven't read it just yet but sharing just in case!

From Sierra Leone/Syria some lessons learnt/observations:

- Undertaking a thorough mapping of stakeholders, influencers, decision makers, existing groups etc needs to be done as a first step. Mapping power dynamics has also been very useful in Sierra Leone. Mapping these all out onto paper (it ends up looking a bit like an EMMA with how information moves between people rather than how resources and money moves) was really useful here.
- Taking a 'sandwich' approach - working with people who are very powerful at the top, and also engaging those most marginalised at the 'bottom' to get results somewhere in the middle (also worked well in Sierra Leone)
- Utilising different media types, particularly radio and social media as means to disseminate information - Social media was particularly effective in Syria
- I think the other big lesson learnt is not to forget the basics of involving communities (alongside the bigger players like municipal water/sewerage organisations) at each stage in the project cycle just because the environment is more complicated. Working with communities to nominate an representative to come to higher level meetings can be an effective way of ensuring community feedback is integrated as long as the agency supports that representative to canvass widely within their community.

I'm currently working on a case study about HP around PeePoo bags in urban slums in Sierra Leone, so when it's ready, I will share it with you in case it is useful.

Many thanks and hope you're well!

Michelle

Michelle Farrington
UK Mobile No: +44 (0) 787 011 0936
Skype: michelle_redr

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 00:48:57 -0700
From: toby....@redr.org.uk
To: hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

Toby Gould

Aug 28, 2015, 4:56:57 AM8/28/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Good to hear from you. Thank you for this, I will read through them and pick out useful parts.

Toby

From: <hygienepro...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of 'Paul OSullivan' via hygienepromotionforum <hygienepro...@googlegroups.com>
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hygienepromotionforum" group.

Toby Gould

Aug 28, 2015, 5:03:22 AM8/28/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much for these – yes I should have checked more regularly the urban portal so thank you for the reminder.  Also your lessons learnt are useful – interesting thoughts about supporting community members in larger meetings and your peepoo bags case study would be great.

Good to hear from you.

Toby

Date: Thursday, 27 August 2015 19:33
To: "hygienepro...@googlegroups.com" <hygienepro...@googlegroups.com>
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hygienepromotionforum" group.

Eva Niederberger

Aug 29, 2015, 11:32:59 AM8/29/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com, tobyg...@gmail.com
Hi Toby,

here attached a case study about Oxfam's social mobilisation project in urban host communities, Jordan.

The project was implemented in 2013, integrated in a wider WaSH, EFSVL and protection programme, and aimed to provide a platform of social interaction between the Jordanian host population and Syrian refugees. In this regard we looked at increasing the capacity of the crisis affected population to adjust to the new situation (reduced service provision and purchasing power) and identify solutions how to maintain key hygiene practices.

It has been evident that working in a middle income urban context requires to go beyond hygiene promotion and consider access to information (public service provision, access to humanitarian assistance, governmental policies), social dynamics as well as level of pre-crisis practices and knowledge linked with copying strategies. Water has been identified as major compromising factor in terms of hygienic behavior linked with depleting financial resources. As part of it, we aimed to link the community with the local water authorities improving accountability mechanisms related to water supply. In addition, we have been working partly through a market based approach to enable people to access water and hygiene items (using a voucher system).

Cheers,

Eva

Evi Niederberger
Case Study Oxfam Jordan 2014_Social mobilisation in Middle Income Countries.EN.doc