Invitation to contribute to learning on menstrual hygiene, dignity and safety related to WASH in emergencies

sjhouse.majisafi

Apr 10, 2014, 1:48:14 PM4/10/14
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

We (Sarah House, Suzanne Ferron, Dr Marni Sommer and Sue Cavill) are about to start a new voluntary venture to try and encourage people working on WASH in emergencies to document their learning on menstrual hygiene management (MHM), dignity and safety related to WASH in emergencies.

We have observed that globally very little has been documented in these areas, although we are sure that a lot of learning is on-going in the field. We think that people may either feel that they do not have time to document the learning, may not feel confident in documenting, or they may not see the value of documenting small items of learning. This means that opportunities to document and learn are being missed. This exercise is aiming to encourage those who may not have documented their learning before, as well as those who are more confident in doing so, to document and share their learning. The intention is that if we receive enough examples of learning, that we will try and pull them together into some form of global learning note that can be shared back with practitioners.

Please see the attached document for more information on why we are doing it, what type of things we are hoping to get documented and what we intend to do with the learning.

There is no time limit on this exercise. We will probably reflect after 6 months to see if we have enough to start synthesising what has come in so far, but as noted in the attached document we will probably continue this exercise for the next couple of years, depending on what kind of response we get to it.

Please forward this on to any colleagues who you feel may also be interested in this exercise.

Please don't hesitate if you have any questions.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Sarah House and Suzanne Ferron

also on behalf of Dr Marni Sommer and Sue Cavill

Learning on menstrual hygiene, dignity and safety - 29_3_14.docx