Household Assets and Hygiene Item Expenditures during Emergencies

Monica Ramos

May 9, 2016, 5:42:20 AM5/9/16
to hygienepromotionforum
Dear all,

Wondering if any of you have come across any literature that indicates the % of household assets that are spent on hygiene items during an emergency. I have been trying to find any research conducted or published literature on the subject but have not managed to find anything with specific details on hygiene items, as most speak more broadly of NFIs.

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Monica

William Fellows

May 10, 2016, 5:26:13 AM5/10/16
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com, Tatyana Lisitsa

Dear Monica;

It is not in the literature but here in Ukraine WFP is using a vouchering system with a company that in addition to providing food also stocks hygiene materials. Verbally they report to me that approximately 25% of the food vouchers are being spent on hygiene materials.

If it is useful I can try to get some additional information from them.

Cheers;

Bill

Monica Ramos

May 10, 2016, 5:33:23 AM5/10/16
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com, Tatyana Lisitsa, monica...@echofield.eu
Dear Bill,

Thanks for reaching out and yes, very useful information, as helps to provide evidence that supports how expenditure baskets for multi-purpose cash are calculated. Also helps to understand needs and the importance placed on accessing hygiene materials, along with affordability.

Currently, in the MENA region, we are looking at how this all relates and how it can also influence the WASH sector (and as a result, what and how ECHO should be funding).

I will do some internet research to see if I can find any reports and can also contact my colleagues in Ukraine to see if they have any additional information - if you were to come across anything and could share that would be great.

Appreciate the help!

Cheers,
Monica

From: wfel...@unicef.org
To: hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
CC: tlis...@unicef.org
Subject: RE: Household Assets and Hygiene Item Expenditures during Emergencies
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 09:26:08 +0000
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hygienepromotionforum" group.