Materials/documentation on good practices, experience on children's engagement/participation especially the "youth"

Raissa Azzalini

Oct 3, 2015, 10:15:13 AM10/3/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am going to facilitate some PHP sessions in our WaSH workshop in Lebanon. I am looking at any training materials, documented good practices and examples on different children's engagement and participation and especially with youth and if possible in Informal Settlements.

Thanks a lot,

Best,

Raissa Azzalini
Public Health Promotion Adviser

OXFAM - GB

Office phone + 44 (0) 1865472451
Mobile + 44 (0) 7833496373
skype: azzalina

Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering

Oxfam GB is a member of Oxfam International and a company limited by guarantee registered in England No. 612172.
Registered office: Oxfam House, John Smith Drive, Cowley, Oxford, OX4 2JY.
A registered charity in England and Wales (no 202918) and Scotland (SC 039042)

Paul OSullivan

Oct 4, 2015, 7:32:45 AM10/4/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raissa,

I've just completed a participation/CM toolkit focusing upon Syrian emergency response with a strong focus upon working with children, for UNICEF MENA and developed in consultation with diverse regional stakeholders.

Get in touch with Pierre Fourcassie and see how it's developing and if it's available for use in the field.

There's tons of participatory tools that can be adapted to all sorts of contexts and themes, equally aimed at both adults and children/youth.

Equally Suzanne F and Anne Lloyd did some really interesting work on workig with children in emergencies that may be useful.

Good luck, it'll be interesting to hear how it developes.

Oct 4, 2015, 6:33:57 PM10/4/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com
Hello Paul,

Thanks for the information and I did get in touch with Suzanne and Annie! as well as with Pierre, but now I know what I should ask!
I will let you know if we making any progress.

Mark Buttle

Oct 5, 2015, 9:59:31 AM10/5/15
to hygienepro...@googlegroups.com

Hi Raissa,

The piece of work completed by Annie and Suzanne was a scoping study for Save the Children UK looking at what gaps there are when we consider how to adapt Emergency WASH work to meet the needs of children specifically. Research was HIF funded and is available to download:

http://www.elrha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2014-10-11-Emergency-WASH-for-Children-Final.pdf

Glad to see others are also pushing to try to take into account children’s needs specifically. One of the main mistakes actors make is to lump children into a single bracket, whereas (of course) there are completely different responses appropriate for the under 2s, the under 5s (in Child Friendly Spaces or ECCD), for 6-12 (primary schools) and above. In the Syrian conflict I’m aware of many minors in the 13-18 age group who are difficult to deal with and often ignored. In Domiz camp, for example, there were many 14-17 year old boys who lived in the “mens section” of the camp, who were vulnerable to being recruited by various fighting groups. In Greece, at the moment, unaccompanied minors are being asked to “find a guardian” who can accompany them further on their travels, which leaves them very vulnerable.  Those who are unable to find a guardian are actually held in adult prisons.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Buttle

Senior Humanitarian WASH Advisor, Save the Children UK

Direct Line: +44 20 3763 0153           Cell: +44 7771 938735

Email: m.bu...@savethechildren.org.uk    Skype:   washadvisor

Save the Children works in more than 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential.

This email was sent from Save the Children, registered charity England and Wales (213890), Scotland (SC039570) and registered company England and Wales (178159) or from Save the Children (Sales) Ltd, registered company in London (875945). For legal information go to http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/privacy-cookie-policy

Save the Children, 1 St. John's Lane, London, EC1M 4AR
Telephone +44 (0)20 7012 6400 Fax +44 (0)20 7012 6963
www.savethechildren.org.uk