Penus envy

Art Neuendorffer

Jun 21, 2007, 11:43:59 AM6/21/07
May 26 is the 146th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar
(147th in leap years), with 219 days remaining.
.
1886. On May 26, was born at St. Petersburg, Russia, Asa Yoelson, the
Mason, actor and singer who became internationally known as Al Jolson.
.
Jack Robin: Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothing yet.
Wait a minute, I've said, you ain't heard nothing yet.
Wanna hear 'Toot, Toot, Tootsie?'
--------------------------­--------------------------­--
. The SUSAN Constant: (Henry) May 26
.
May 26, 1232 Spanish Inquisition starts
May 26, 1543 Vesalius' _Fabrica_ published
May 26, 1583 SUSANna Shakespeare Hall born
____________ (after a 26 week gestation!)
May 26, 1587 SUSAN Vere Herbert born
Festival of the goddess Diana, Roman Empire (May 26 - 31, 17 BCE)
Preceding the Ludi Saeculares, or Centennial Games held in 17 BCE
.
<<The last days before the kalends of June in the year 17 BCE were a
marvellous festival to the goddess Diana leading up to the centennial
games, the Ludi Saeculares. These games take their name from saeculum,
a word which originally meant a period stretching roughly a century
but by a proclamation of Roman emperor Augustus became a period of 110
years. Horace's hymn the Carmen Saeculare was commissioned by Augustus.
.
This festival, which must have been held in great excitement because
it was once in a blue moon, was one of purification before the games.
As this part of the event, the days dedicated to Diana, came around,
heralds were sent about to invite the people to a spectacle the like of
which no one had ever beheld, and which no one would ever behold again.
.
On the first few nights there were ceremonies dedicated to the Parcae,
or Fates (known to the Greeks as the Moerae or Moirae, identified in
various cultures with 'the three wise crones' , cf the witches of
Macbeth) who controlled the fate of every mortal & immortal from birth
to death (and beyond). Then, after a proclamation was made according to
a sacred formula, on the Capitoline Hill & the Palatine Hill of Rome,
the quindecemviri distributed among the Roman citizens, torches,
sulphur, & bitumen, by which they were to purify themselves. There,
and on the Aventine Hill in the temple of the goddess, the people were
given wheat, barley, & beans, which were to be offered at night-time
to the Parcae, and perhaps as pay to the actors in the dramatic
representations that were took place during these days.
.
According to Perowne, (Roman Mythology, p 108), writing on the games
held by Augustus in 17 BCE: 'On the 26th May and the two following
days material for purification, torches, sulphur & bitumen, were
distributed by the priests to all free inhabitants of Rome, whether
citizens or not. Even bachelors, who had recently been banned from
public entertainments, were to be admitted. During the next 3 days,
the people came before the College of Fifteen, the Quindecimviri, and
offered first fruits, as is done today at harvest festivals. It was just
at this time that the Ambarvalia used to go round the ripening crops,
and that the *penus of Vesta* was cleaned to receive the new grain.'
. Penus envy
Wikipedia tells us [the following is verbatim] that Diana is the
equivalent in Roman Mythology of the Greek Artemis (see Roman/Greek
equivalency in mythology for more details). She is the daughter of
Jupiter and Latona, and the twin sister of Apollo.
.
Diana is the mother of wild animals & forests, and a moon goddess.
Oak groves are especially sacred to her. She is praised for her
strength, athletic grace, beauty & her hunting skills. With two
other Roman deities she made up a trinity: Egeria the water nymph,
her servant & assistant midwife; and *VIRBIUS* , the woodland god.
.
Diana was worshipped in a temple on the Aventine Hill where mainly
*lower-class citizens & slaves* worshipped her. Slaves could receive
asylum in her temples. She was worshipped at a festival on August 13 &
is worshipped today by women practicing religion known as Dianic Wicca.
.
Her legend has reached recent history, as she is usually considered
(specially by Freemasonry) as a symbol of
*imagination, sensibility, creativity & insanity* ,
that is, *of poets & artists* .
.
She represents the matriarchy that is supposed to have preceded
patriarchy in human history. She also represents Dyonisiacs against
Apollineans. Diana and her values were enslaved in our world along
with women, and the sun gods' values were imposed:
that of reason and absolute order.>>
--------------------------­--------------------------­--
. The SUSAN Constant: (Henry) May 26
.
May 26, 1599 HENRY PORTER disappears
May 26, 1607 Jamestown Indian attack
May 26, 1667 HUGUENOT Abraham de Moivre born
May 26, 1703 Samuel Pepys ( *PEEPS* ) dies
bookburn wrote:
.
> Bacon's formal layout was very much admired and by Charles II's
> reign the Walks had become a highly fashionable place to be seen.
> The diarist Samuel *PEPYS* was a frequent visitor,
> relishing the opportunity *to eye the ladies* ...
. King Henry V Act 4, Scene 2
.
GRANDPRE: And faintly through a *RUSTY BEAVER PEEPS*
<<Samuel Pepys (pronounced *PEEPS* , as his lineal descendants
still do, was born in London February 23, 1633, the son of
a *TAILOR* . He was educated at *Magdalene* College, Cambridge.
.
On January 1, 1660 [83 x 20] he started his diary. The same
year he became Clerk of the Acts to the Navy Board. In May
1669 his diary was brought to a sudden conclusion, owing to
the weak state *of Pepys' eyes* . His wife died the same year.
.
When Pepys died on *MAY 26* , 1703 his diaries were bequeathed
to Magdalene College. The six volumes were written IN A CIPHER
based on shorthand. The books were first deciphered by a
Mr. John SMITH from 1819 to 1822. A shortened (& expurgated)
publication appeared in 1825; the complete diary
. of more than 3800 pages appeared in 1893.>>
. - (From Wikipedia, http://www.pepysdiary.com/ )
--------------------------­--------------------------­--
. The SUSAN Constant: (Henry) May 26
.
May 26, 1759 Mary WollSTONECRAFT Godwin born
May 26, 1799 Freemason Alexander Pushkin born
May 26, 1819 Prince Albert born
May 26, 1827 Poe enlists in Army as *PERRY*
*PERRY* is a name that signifies or is derived from: *A TRAVELER*
------------------------------­-----------------------------
<<Whenever a town was founded a round hole would first be dug.
In the bottom of it a stone, lapis manalis, which represented a gate
to the Underworld, would then be embedded. On the 23rd of August,
this stone would be removed to permit the Manes to pass through.>>
.
August 23, 1600: "Shakespeare" 1st appears in Stationer's Register
when Andrew Wyse enters "II Henry IV" & "Much Ado About Nothing".
.
. II Henry IV Act 4, Scene 1
.
ARCHBISHOP OF YORK: To Scotland: and concludes in hearty prayers
. That your attempts may OVERLIVE the *HAZARD*
.
___ *VAARA* : danger, *HAZARD*, peril (Finnish)
------------------------------­------------------------------
*OliVER HAZARD PERRY* was given the command of the 14-gun vessel
*REVEnge* & cruised the Atlantic waters of the Eastern United States.
.
. King Henry VI, Part i Act 4, Scene 6
.
TALBOT: Fly, to *REVEnge* my death when I am dead:
. The help of one stands me in little stead.
. O, too much folly is it, well I wot,
. To *HAZARD* ALL OUR LIVES in one small boat!
-----------------------­------------------------------­-------
. Julius Caesar Act 5, Scene 1
.
CASSIUS: Why, now, blow wind, swell billow and swim bark!
. THE STORM IS UP, and ALL IS ON the *HAZARD*.
-------------------------­------------------------------­------------
*OliVER HAZARD PERRY* married Elizabeth Champlin MASON on May 5, 1811
. in the drawing room of Dr. MASON (father).
.
<<Wife Elizabeth MASON Perry had dreamt the death of her husband
"If I were superstitious it would worry me, but I am not, and
. I shall think no more about it." The next that was heard -
.
*OliVER HAZARD PERRY* was dead! Buried at Port of Spain, Trinidad,
. with full military honors, in 1826, his remains were moved
. from Trinidad to Newport, [R]hode [I]sland. On May 24, 1836,
. the purchase was completed on his present day resting spot,
at the Island Cemetery. In his memory, a tall granite obelisk
. was erected by the State of Rhode Island.
. His portrait, attributed to Sanford Mason, is on display.>>
. [I]gne [N]atura [R]enovatur [I]ntegra
. "Through FIRE, NATURE is reborn whole"­
---------------------­------------------------------­------
*OliVER HAZARD PERRY*
.
b. South Kingstown, [RI], ______ August 23, 1785
d. o[RI]noco [RI]VER, Venezuela, August 23, 1819
.
http://www.brigniagara.org/perry.htm
http://www.redwoodlibrary.org/notables/oh_perry.htm
.
<< *OliVER HAZARD PERRY* was born on August 23, 1785,
. at the Old Perry Homestead in South Kingston,
. Rhode Island, of "Fighting QUAKER parents."
His father was in the United States Navy & young Perry soon followed.
.
At the age of 13, Perry entered the Navy as a midshipman,
where his first assignment was in the Caribbean under the command
of his father aboard the sloop-of-war, GENERAL GREENE.
.
Perry's subsequent voyages took him to Europe and Africa during the
Barbary Wars. In 1805, at the age of 20, Perry became a lieutenant
and was given the command of a small schooner. Next, he was called to
oversee the construction of a number of gunboats ordered by President
Thomas Jefferson. When this job was successfully completed, Perry
was given the command of the 14-gun vessel REVEnge and cruised the
northern- and mid-Atlantic waters of the Eastern United States.>>
------------------------------­------------------------------­---
May 26, 604 1st Archbishop of Canterbury AUGUSTINE died
1604 Oxford was buried at the Church of St. AUGUSTINE, Hackney in
.
May 26, 1583 Witty Susanna Shak. was 'born' on St. AUGUSTINE's day
1583 [O]XFORD's [M]en play Stratford-upon-Avon
1583 WHITgift made Archbishop of Canterbury
.
May 26, 1587 ________ Susan Vere born on St. AUGUSTINE's day
May 26, 1667 HUGUENOT Abraham de Moivre born St. AUGUSTINE's day
_The Northumberland Manuscript_ by Sir George Greenwood
. http://home.att.net/~tleary/northclb.htm
http://www.sirbacon.org/ResearchMaterial/Evidence-ByHowardBridgewater...
.
<<And lower down in the left-hand column we have,
.
" *REVEaling day through EVERY CRANY PEEPES* and see Shak "
.
which seems to be an imperfect reminiscence of the line
in Lucrece, " *REVEaling day through EVERY CRANY SPIES* ,"
. Epicoene - Ben Jonson
.
B: O, hold me up a little, I shall go away in the iest else. He has
got on his whole nest of NIGHT-CAPs, and lock'd himselfe up, in the
top of the house, as high, as EUER he can climbe from the noise.
.
. *I PEEP'D in at a crany* ,
.
and saw him sitting OUER a cross-BEAME of the roofe, like him on
the sadlers horse in Fleetstreet, vp-right: and he will sleepe there.
Which of the following quotes is due to Shakespeare
and which is due to Cervantes (*SHELTON* "translation" ):
. the naked truth the naked truth
. Murder will out Murder will speak
. Know thyself. Know thyself.
.
through narrow chinkes & Cranyes through *EVERY CRANY SPIES*
. The weakest go to the walls. The weakest goes to the *WALL*
Thomas Shelton'S The History of the Valorous &
Witty Knight-Errant Don Quixote of the Mancha
.
The Second Part : The Author's Prologue to the Reader
.
There was a madman in Seville which hit upon one of the prettiest absurd
tricks that EVER madman in this world lighted on, which was: he made him
a cane sharp at one end, and then catching a dog in the street, or
elsewhere, he held fast one of the dog's legs under his foot, and the
other he held up with his hand. Then, fitting his cane as well as he
could behind, he fell a-blowing till he made the dog as round as a ball;
and then, holding him still in the same manner, he gave him two claps
with his hand on the belly, and so let him go, saying to those which
stood by (which always were many), 'How think you, my masters, is it a
small matter to blow up a dog like a bladder?' And how think you, is it
a small matter to make a book? If, this tale should not fit him, then,
good reader, tell him this other, for this also is of a madman and a
dog. In Cordova was another madman, which was wont to carry on his head
a huge piece of marble, not of the lightest, who, meeting a masterless
dog, would stalk up close to him, and on a sudden down with his burden
upon him; the dog would presently yearn, and barking and yelling run
away; three streets could not hold him. It fell out afterwards, among
other dogs upon whom he let fall his load, there was a capper's dog,
which his master made great account of, upon whom he let down his
great stone and took him full on the head: the poor battered cur cries
pitifully; his master spies it, and, affected with it, gets a meteyard,
assaults the madman, and leaves him not a whole bone in his skin; and
at EVERy blow that he gave him he cries out, 'Thou dog, thou thief!
my spaniel! Saw'st thou not, thou cruel villain, that my dog was a
spaniel?' And EVER and anon repeating still 'his spaniel,' he sent away
the madman all black and blue. The madman was terribly scared herewith,
but got away, and for more than a month after nEVER came abroad: at
last out he comes with his invention again, and a bigger load than
before; and coming where the dog stood, viewing him over and over again
very heedily, he had no mind, he durst not let go the stone, but only
said, 'Take heed, this is a spaniel.' In fine, whatsoEVER dogs he met,
though they were mastiffs or fisting-hounds, he still said they were
spaniels. So that after that he nEVER durst throw his great stone
any more. And who knows but the same may befal this our historian,
that he will no more let fall the weight of his wit in books?
for in being naught, they are harder than rocks.
.
Tell him too, that for his menacing that with his book he will take away
all my gain, I care not a straw for him; but, betaking myself to the
famous interlude of Perendenga, I answer him, 'Let the old man my master
live, and Christ be with us all.' Long live the great Conde de Lemos,
whose Christianity and well-known liberality against all the blows of
my short fortune keeps me on foot; and long live that eminent charity
of the Cardinal of Toledo, Don Bernardo de Sandoval y Rojus! Were there
no printing in the world, or were there as many books printed against me
as there are letters in the rhymes of Mingo Revulgo, those two princes,
without any solicitation of flattery or any other kind of applause, of
their sole bounty have taken upon them to do me good, and to favour me;
wherein I account myself more happy and rich than if Fortune, by some
other ordinary way, had raised me to her highest honour. A poor man
may have it, but a vicious man cannot. Poverty may cast a mist upon
nobleness, but cannot altogether obscure it; but, as the glimmering
of any light of itself, though but *through narrow chinks and crannies*
comes to be esteemed by high and noble spirits, and consequently
favoured. Say no more to him, nor will I say any more to thee; but
only advertise that thou consider that this Second Part of Don Quixote,
which I offer thee, is framed by the same art and cut out of the
same cloth that the first was. In it I present thee with Don Quixote
enlarged, and at last dead and buried, that so no man presume to
raise any further reports of him; those that are past are enow;
and let it suffice that an honest man may have given notice of
these discreet follies, with purpose not to enter into them any more.
For plenty of anything, though nEVER so good, makes it less esteemed;
and scarcity, though of evil things, makes them somewhat accounted
of. I forgot to tell thee that thou mayst expect Persiles, which
I am now about to finish; as also the Second Part of Galatea.>>
QUINCE .. Then, there is
. another thing: we must have a WALL in the great
. chamber; for Pyramus and Thisby says the story,
. did talk through the chink of a WALL.
.
SNOUT You can nEVER bring in a WALL. What say you, Bottom?
.
BOTTOM Some man or other MUST present WALL: and let him
have some PLASTER, or some loam, or some rough-cast about him,
. to signify WALL; and LET him hold his fingers thus,
.
. *and through that CRANNY shall Pyramus and Thisby whisper*
Feast day of St Augustine of Canterbury (Anglican)
(Rhododendron, Rhododendrum ponticum is today's plant,
dedicated to this saint) (Catholic Church celebrates on May 27)
.
<<First Archbishop of Canterbury, Augustine (also known as Austin)
was sent from Rome by Pope Gregory the Great (c. 540 ? 604) in 597,
with 40 monks to Ethelbert of Kent (Bretwalda of England) to convert
the heathens. (Pictured is the pope sending the missionary.)
.
The pope mandated Augustine to consecrate heathen temples & rituals
to Christian service and the latter, so far as possible, to be
transformed into dedication ceremonies or feasts of martyrs, since
'he who would climb to a lofty height must go up by steps, not leaps'
(letter of Gregory to Mellitus, in Bede, i, 30). (Hence we still call
the days of the week by Saxon names.) Thus began centuries of the
Christian conversion of ancient pagan holidays, rites & sacred sites.
Most of the history of how this was achieved has been lost, both to
time and the inevitability that *history is written by the victors*
.
The old monkish chroniclers liked to say that
the day Augustine landed at Ebbe's Fleet, in the island of Thanet,
*was the same day that Mohammed was born* ,
according to some Muslim traditions.
Muhammad was born into an affluent family that had settled in the
northern Arabian town of Mecca. Tradition places Muhammad's birth in
the Year of the Elephant, commonly identified with 570. Muhammad's
birthday is considered by Sunni Muslims to have been the 12th day of
the month of Rabi'-ul-Awwal, the third month of the Muslim calendar.
Shi'a Muslims believe it to have been the dawn of 17th of the month
of Rabi'-ul-Awwal.
Ethelbert was baptised on Whitsunday, June 2, 597. (St. Elmo's day)
.
The first heathen temple Augustine dedicated as a church was dedicated
to St Pancras, patron saint of children, appropriate to the story of
the three Saxon boys whom Gregory had seen in the slave market in Rome,
which led to Augustine's missionary expedition. Gregory, then a Roman
abbot, had never seen anything like the blonde-haired boys before.
.
'Whence come these children, and what name do they bear?'
asked the bishop of a man near him. 'From a savage island far over
the sea,' he answered, 'and men call them Angles.' Gregory replied,
'They should be called not Angles, but angels.'
.
The incident is said by tradition to have persuaded Gregory to
send a missionary to convert the British, & Augustine was the man.
Augustine is said to have visited the Welsh and journeyed into
Yorkshire, but not much is known about his life in Britain.
He once went to Strode in Kent, England, where the 'wicked people'
threw fishes' tails at him. He cursed them, and their children
grew tails like fish, until their parents repented.>>
Feast day of St Alphaeus (father of James the lesser)
Feast day of St Becan
Feast day of St Berencardus
Feast day of St Damian
Feast day of St Dyfan
Feast day of St Eleutherius, pope, martyr
Feast day of St Eva of Liege
Feast day of St Felicissimus
Feast day of St Fugatius
Feast day of St Guinizo
Feast day of St Heraclius
Feast day of St John Hoan
Feast day of St Mary Ann de Paredes
Feast day of St Matthew Phuong
Feast day of St Oduvald, abbot of Melrose
.
Feast day of St Philip Neri
Born at Florence, Italy in 1515; he would levitate while praying.
During Easter, 1544, while praying in the catecomb of San Sebastiano,
he had a vision of *a GLOBE of FIRE* that entered his chest, and he
experienced an ecstasy that enlarged his heart. He could tell hidden
sins by the smell of a person. He founded the religious order of
the Oratory, members of which whipped themselves during the recital
of Psalm 50, (the Miserere) and Psalm 129. He is known as
'the apostle of Rome who became the patron saint of Rome'.
.
Feast day of St Quadratus
Feast day of St Ursula Ledochowska
Feast day of St Zachary
Late May: Mayoring Day, Rye, Sussex, England
Carries on the old custom of the hot-penny scramble
in which the new mayor tosses hot pennies to children.
A ritual that might go back to when Rye minted its
own coins which were distributed hot from the moulds.
. Born on May 26
1566 Mehmed III, Ottoman Emperor (d. 1603)
.
1650 John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough (d. 1722).
.
1667 Abraham de Moivre, mathematician (d. 1754)
1689 Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (d. August 21, 1762),
English author, traveller and medical pioneer.
.
From Turkey, Lady Mary (who herself bore the scars of smallpox, and
had lost her brother to it) brought back to England the practice of
inoculation against the disease. She had her own children inoculated
(the first, inoculated on March 18, 1789, suffered no ill effects), and
encountered a vast amount of prejudice in bringing the matter forward.
Before starting for the East she had met Alexander Pope, and during her
absence he wrote her a series of extravagant letters, which appear to
have been chiefly exercises in the art of writing gallant epistles.
.
"It was well known that one only got smallpox once. In the Islamic world
in Turkey it became the habit to 'engraft' people with the dried pustule
from smallpox and that this provided protection. Upon learning of the
Turkish practice, Lady Mary immediately had her son inoculated. After
returning home to England, she introduced the custom to the nobility by
having her daughter inoculated, too ...
.
"Edward Jenner (1749-1823) would eventually be given credit for the
smallpox vaccine, but it was really Lady Mary who pioneered the approach
in western Europe and made it acceptable to the influential, the rich
and the powerful. Eventually, the practice of inoculation would filter
down to the middle and working classes and would be extended to
inoculation against a variety of infectious diseases ...
.
"She was also a prolific writer of diaries, essays and poems and
translated plays from French and Latin. She had a variety of lovers and
boyfriends during her travels. But when famed poet and essayist,
Alexander Pope, professed his love in a flowery series of letters, Lady
Mary did not conceal her derision. Thus was born a public feud that
eventually led to financial scandal and Mary leaving England to live in
Italy and France until 1761 when her daughter (now wife to the Prime
Minister) finally persuaded her to return to London where she died
August 21, 1762."
1700 Nicolaus Zinzendorf (German religious & social reformer)
.
1799 Aleksandr Pushkin, Freemason author (d. 1837)
.
1867 Mary of Teck, queen consort of King George V (d. 1953)
.
1893 Norma Talmadge (d. December 24, 1957), American actress who,
on May 18, 1927, became the first celebrity to leave her mark
in the famous concrete outside Grauman's Chinese Theater. A silent
film star her first talkie, New York Nights (1929), showed that she
could speak and act acceptably. Norma then tried a big, important
film, _DuBarry, Woman of Passion_ (1930). In spite of the elaborate
sets by William Cameron Menzies, between incompetent direction and
Talmadge's inexperience at a role requiring very demanding vocal
acting, the film was a dismal failure. Norma?s failure inspired
the character of Lina Lamont in Singin' in the Rain (1952).
One of Norma's husbands was comedian George Jessel (1898 - 1981).
Like her actress sisters Natalie Talmadge (who married Buster
Keaton in 1921) and Constance Talmadge, her grave marker gives
a false date of birth (1897).
.
1904 George Formby, who endeared himself to his audiences with his
cheeky Lancashire humour & folksy Northern England persona. In film
and on stage, he generally adopted the character of an honest,
good-hearted but accident-prone innocent. What made him stand out,
however, was his unique and often mimicked musical style. He sang
comic songs, full of double entendre, to his own accompaniment on
the banjolele, for which he developed a catchy syncopated style which
became his trademark. His best-known songs were written by Noel Gay.
.
1907 John Wayne (born Marion Michael Morrison; d. 1979),
.
1908 Robert Morley, British actor (d. 1992)
.
1912 Jay Silverheels (d. 1980), native Canadian actor
. famed for his role as Tonto in The Lone Ranger
.
1913 Peter Cushing (d. 1994), Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars.
(Curiously, Vincent Price & Christopher Lee were born on the
same day (May 27) & Peter Cushing was born on the 26th.)
.
1920 Peggy Lee (d. 2002), singer, songwriter & actress
.
1923 James Arness, (Gunsmoke, the Thing)
.
1926 Miles Davis (d. September 28, 1991)
.
1928 Dr Jack Kevorkian ('Doctor Death')
1948 Stevie Nicks, lead singer of Fleetwood Mac
.
*She is like a cat in the dark*
And then she is the darkness
She rules her life like a fine skylark
When the sky is starless
.
All your life you've never seen a woman
Taken by the wind
Would you stay if she promised you heaven
Will you ever win
Will you ever win
1949 Hank Williams Jr, American singer
1951 Sally Ride, astronaut
1962 Bobcat Goldthwait, actor, comedian
_____ May 26 events
.
604 (traditional) or 605 (Thorn) Death of St Augustine,
. first Archbishop of Canterbury
.
946 Death of King Edmund I of England.
.
1232 Pope Gregory IX sends first Inquisition team to Aragon, Spain.
.
1328 William of Ockham, Franciscan Minister-General Michael of
Cesena, and two other Franciscan leaders secretly left Avignon,
fearing a sentence of death from Pope John XXII.
.
1538 Geneva expelled John Calvin and his followers from the city.
Calvin lived in exile in Strasbourg for the next three years.
.
1562 *SHANE* O' Neill leads a 2nd Irish rebellion
.
1608 King Phillip III of Spain decreed non-Roman Catholic
(American) Indians could legally be enslaved.
.
1637 Pequot War: English Puritan Captains John Mason & John Underhill
and Mohegan allies attacked and burned Pequot forts at Mystic,
Connecticut, massacring 600 Indians and starting the Pequot War.
.
1647 A new law banned Catholic priests from the colony of
Massachusetts, the penalty being banishment, death for a 2nd offence.
On the same day at Meeting House Square in Hartford, Connecticut,
America's first witch execution occurred. Alse Young (also known as
Alice, or Achsah), of Windsor, became first known person in America to
be executed as a witch, her execution anticipating the 1692 Salem witch
trials (which took place not in Salem, Massachusetts but in nearby
Salem Village, modern-day Danvers) by some 45 years. There is no further
record of the trial or the details of the charge or charges. John
Winthrop, the Governor of Massachusetts wrote in his diary that "One
of Windsor was hanged", and the Second Town Clerk of Windsor, Matthew
Grant, wrote the May 26, 1647 diary entry, "Alse Young was hanged". Not
much ado about very much. From 1715, the crime of witchcraft was struck
from the list of capital crimes in Connecticut, and was not prosecuted.
.
1648 Death of Vincent Voiture, poet.
.
1660 King Charles II lands at Dover after nine years in exile.
.
1670 In Dover, Charles II of England & Louis XIV of France
secretly sign a treaty ending hostilities between their kingdoms.
.
1703 Death of Samuel Pepys (b. 1633),
English civil servant, famous for his diary.
.
1736 Battle of Ackia: British & Chickasaw defeat French troops.
.
1784 The first Handel Musical Festival was held.
.
1791 King Louis XVI was forced by the revolutionary
French Assembly to relinquish his crown and state assets.
.
1805 In Milan cathedral, Napoleon I was crowned King of Italy.
.
1824 Death of Capel Lofft, English writer. Byron ridiculed Lofft
as "the *Maecenas of shoemakers* and preface-writer general to
distressed versemen; a kind of gratis accoucheur to those who wish
to be delivered of rhyme, but do not know how to bring forth."
1828 Kaspar Hauser : The wild boy of Nuremburg appears.
On this day, at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, a youth of about 16
years of age showed up in a pathetic condition in the marketplace in
Nuremburg, Germany. The boy was dressed in peasant clothes with a
letter addressed to the cavalry captain of the city. He was led to
the captain and interrogated, and it was found he could scarcely speak.
To every question he replied 'Von Regensburg' (from Regensburg) or
'Ich woais nit' (I don't know). Except for dry bread and water, he
showed a violent dislike to all forms of food and drink. He seemed
ignorant of commonplace objects. He carried a handkerchief marked
'KH' and a few written Catholic prayers. In the letter that he carried,
it was stated that the writer was a poor day-labourer who had ten
children of his own. The man had found the boy deposited on his
doorstep by his mother, and had secretly brought the boy up as his
own, keeping him confined to the house, somewhere in Bavaria.
The boy, said the letter, had expressed an interest in becoming a
horse soldier. Accompanying this letter was also a note purportedly
from the boy's mother, saying that she, a poor girl, had had the
baby, named Kaspar Hauser, on Walpurgisnacht, 1812, and that his
father, an officer in Nuremburg's 6th regiment, was dead.
A burgomaster named Binder took a kindly interest in Kaspar.
In the course of many conversations with him, it was discovered
that the boy had been kept underground all his life, in a space
so small he could not stretch to full length. He had been fed
only on bread and water by a man who never showed himself.
1830 The Indian Removal Act was passed by the United States Congress.
.
1853 Australia: The last convict arrived in Hobart,
Tasmania after fifty years of transportation.
.
1864 Montana was organised as a United States territory.
.
1865 American Civil War: Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith,
commander of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi division, was the
last general of the Confederate Army to surrender, at Galveston.
.
1868 The impeachment trial of US President Andrew Johnson
. ends with Johnson being found not guilty by one vote.
.
1868 The practice of public executions ended in Britain.
.
1871 France: Paris Commune (Bloody Week).
.
1879 Russia and the United Kingdom signed the
. Treaty of Gandamak, establishing an Afghan state.
.
1896 Nicholas II became Tsar of Russia.
.
1896 Charles Dow published the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
.
1897 The novel Dracula, by Irish novelist Bram Stoker,
. went on sale in London.
.
1906 Vauxhall Bridge opened in London.
.
1908 At Masjid-al-Salaman in southwest Persia (Iran), the first
major commercial oil strike in the Middle East was made. The rights
to the resource were quickly acquired by the United Kingdom.
.
1918 The Democratic Republic of Georgia was established.
.
1938 The House Un-American Activities Committee began first session.
.
1940 World War II: Battle of Dunkirk ? In France, Allied forces began
a massive evacuation from Dunkirk. Seven hundred boats from Britain
helped evacuate 380,000 Allied troops trapped at Dunkirk when
surrounded by German troops. Everything from ferries and
destroyers to pleasure craft were used in the evacuation.
.
1942 Winston Churchill, Britain's prime minister, signed
a pact with Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, who promised him
'close collaboration after the war.'
.
1954 The funeral ship of the Egyptian pharaoh Cheops (Khufu)
was unearthed in the Great Pyramid.
.
1958 Jerry Lee Lewis played the third and last of what
should have been a 37-date tour of England. That night,
Lewis was booed from the stage. The next day, he was gone.
.
1963 The Organization of African Unity formed.
.
1966 British Guiana gained independence, as Guyana.
.
1966 Bob Dylan and the Hawks rocked the Royal Albert Hall
in London. Attendees included the Stones, some Beatles, etc.
.
1969 Apollo program: Apollo 10 returned to earth after
a successful eight-day test of all the components needed
for the upcoming first manned moon landing.
.
1969 John Lennon & Yoko Ono began their bed peace in Montreal,
Canada. 'All kinds of people came to pay their respects, from
comedian-singer Tommy Smothers to L'il Abner cartoonist Al Capp,
who kind of betrayed the price of entry by getting into
a shouting match with the Peaceful Pair.'
.
1970 The Soviet Tupolev Tu-144 became
. the first commercial transport to exceed Mach 2.
.
1972 The United States and the Soviet Union
. signed the SALT Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
.
1972 George W Bush transferred to the Alabama Air National Guard unit
in order to campaign for Senator William Blount. According to his
commanding officer, Bush did not show up for duty while in Alabama,
nor has anyone confirmed that he ever served in the Guard again.
.
1975 Evel Knievel, American daredevil, sustained severe spinal
damage when he attempted to leap thirteen buses in his car.
.
1978 In Atlantic City, New Jersey, Resorts International,
the first legal casino in the eastern United States, opened.
.
1986 The European Community adopted the European flag.
.
1991 A Lauda Air Boeing 767-300 exploded over rural Thailand.
Art Neuendorffer