Supplicia Canum - 3 August

David Amicus

Aug 3, 2017, 8:37:53 PM8/3/17

Ed Cryer

Aug 4, 2017, 8:13:10 AM8/4/17
David Amicus wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplicia_canum

Very Roman!
I wonder if the dogs were frightened by the geese back in 390BC.
Or maybe the dogs were barking, but couldn't be heard for the geese' cackle.

Ed

David Amicus

Aug 4, 2017, 4:41:30 PM8/4/17
I wonder what breed the dogs were?

Ed Cryer

Aug 4, 2017, 5:10:59 PM8/4/17
Not from Britain, apparently;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_of_Roman_Britain

Ed

David Amicus

Aug 4, 2017, 6:30:17 PM8/4/17
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 2:10:59 PM UTC-7, Ed Cryer wrote:
> David Amicus wrote:
> >>>

> >> Very Roman!
> >> I wonder if the dogs were frightened by the geese back in 390BC.
> >> Or maybe the dogs were barking, but couldn't be heard for the geese' cackle.
> >>
> >> Ed
> >
> > I wonder what breed the dogs were?
> >

> Not from Britain, apparently;
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_of_Roman_Britain
>
> Ed

They'd be centuries after the Attack.

Ed Cryer

Aug 6, 2017, 2:05:32 PM8/6/17
The more I think about this the more moronic it seems.
It is moronic. Even by Roman norms and standards this is moronic.

It's just ripe for satire and scorn.
Dog1: There they go again; same as last year and the one before. They
dragged Rex out of his kennel, nailed him to a piece of wood and now
they parade him through the streets. And just look at all those
strutting geese, glittering with gold.
Dog2: What the hell is going on here? Rex once told me his master said
that a dog was a man's best friend. I'm getting out of this city; back
to the fields; back to the wolves. These Romans worship wolves.

Ed

Ed Cryer

Aug 7, 2017, 2:45:17 PM8/7/17
In 71 BC Crassus crucified 6,000 slaves on both sides of the road from
Rome to Capua; the Appian Way. They were the remnants of Spartacus' army.

Now, that you can call "brutal"; but it is understandable. Rome was a
slave-society; it depended on slaves very heavily. And Spartacus had
been marching up and down Italy with his army for months, pulling in
more and more runaways and defeating full consular armies. Crassus had
to lead in 7 legions, and Pompey came back from the east with his
legions too.

Something spectacular as punishment was called for as a deterrent.
Brutal? Yes, very by our standards, but that was the way Rome kept its
hegemony.

OTH, to just crucify some dogs every year as not much more than homage
to an event in ancient history is stupid; yobbish and mindless.

Ed

David Amicus

Aug 7, 2017, 4:52:19 PM8/7/17
When I watch the movie "Spartacus" I root for the Romans. In my version of "The Divine Comedy" I place Spartacus in the Inferno.

I remember once reading that Karl Marx said that Spartacus was one of his two heroes. I can never remember who the other was.

Italo

Aug 7, 2017, 5:11:50 PM8/7/17

David Amicus <davida...@gmail.com> schreef:
The other was a certain Cheesis H. Kreist

--

b o y c o t t a m e r i c a n p r o d u c t s

David Amicus

Aug 7, 2017, 5:24:00 PM8/7/17
I looked it up. The other was Kepler.

David Amicus

Aug 7, 2017, 5:24:44 PM8/7/17
I wonder if Augustus imagined the dog to be Anubis?

Ed Cryer

Aug 8, 2017, 8:45:09 AM8/8/17
Kirk Douglas played Spartacus as a humanist hero. The film must have
seemed very communistic at the height of the Cold War.
All the way through it you find power trampling on human goodness. The
standard Christian-generated view of the Roman world.

I can't say I root for Rome in that film. No way. All my sympathies go
for Spartacus and his colleagues.

Ed