Hugin 2015.0 beta 1

T. Modes

Apr 26, 2015, 4:48:41 AM4/26/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

a new release cycle has started.
I uploaded the source tarballs to sourceforge and launchpad.
They can be downloaded at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/hugin-2015.0/hugin-2015.0.0_beta1.tar.bz2/download
https://launchpad.net/hugin/2015.0/2015.0beta1/+download/hugin-2015.0.0_beta1.tar.bz2

Checksums
SHA1 379c08bfd6816a46556e421884a8830848880bd6 hugin-2015.0.0_beta1.tar.bz2
MD5 8e27299918f3ad560244b0cac2288c85 hugin-2015.0.0_beta1.tar.bz2

EXECUTABLES
Users communities produce executables for their respective platforms. They will be announced in this thread.

CHANGES SINCE 2014.0.0
Hugin 2015.0 has a number of new features. Most of the changes are under the hood to improve stability, allow easier maintenance and easier addition of new features.

The makefile based stitching engine has been replaced with direct calls to the underlying programs. This should reduce the overhead of calling the same program too often and so speed up the whole process.  Hopefully this also allows the usage of more unusual characters in the filename. Instead of pto2mk and make we now have hugin_executor which can also be used for running the assistant from the command line.

Hugin now has it's own blender, verdandi, based on a watershed algorithm, which has been included in 'nona'.  verdandi can be chosen as the blender by choosing "builtin" in the stitcher tab, and can also be set in  the Preferences. verdandi can also be called as a command line tool.

The lensfun library has been removed as it did not fulfill our expectations. It has been replaced with our own camera and lens database which uses a data mining approach and operates automatically without user intervention. Geometric distortion and vignetting data have to be loaded manually.

The fast preview window has a new tool to add or remove control points to selected areas in the output projection.

Automatic exposure stack detection is now applied when loading images, and an option has been added to unlink image position when adding stacks.

The fine-tune and auto-estimate functions in the control point tab have been made projection aware. It should now work also with images with different fov or different projections. The fine-tune feature has had a significant speed up when Hugin is compiled with the libfftw3 library (optional).

PTBatcherGUI has more choice for the end of the process: depending on the operating system the PTBatcherGUI can be closed, the computer can be shut down or send to the hibernate mode.

PTBatcherGUI now shows the thumbnails when searching for images in directories.

Many of the underlying tools in hugin are now able to use available cpu cores.

New tools added:

    verdandi: tool for image blending
    hugin_executor: stitching and run assistant from command line
    lensdb: tools for lens database maintenance

Other Improvements
* Many more improvements and bug fixes.

UPGRADING
Upgrading from previous versions of Hugin should be seamless. If you do have
problems with old settings, these can be reset in the Preferences by clicking
'Load defaults'.

It is strongly recommended to set the default control point detector to
Hugin's CPFind.  It is the only control point generator endorsed by Hugin.
Third-party generators may be compatible with the plug-in architecture.

COMPILING
There are some changes to Hugin 2014.0 which affects the compiling:
* An OpenMP capable C++ compiler is strongly recommended. Without an OpenMP capable compiler Hugin and all tools will only be single threaded.
* Hugin started using C++11 features. If your compiler does not support them it will using the boost library instead (see README for more detail).

Changes to dependencies
* lensfun library and all dependencies of this lib are no longer needed.
* sqlite3 is now needed for camera and lens database
* libfftw3 is optional, but recommended. With libfftw3 the finetune feature and align_image_stack show a significant speed up.
* libvigra >=1.9 is now required (the internal old vigra library has been removed from Hugins source code). Check that libvigra is compiled with TIF, JPEG, PNG and *OpenEXR* support (at least the OpenEXR support is by default optional and needs to be activated explicitly during compiling of libvigra)

Next steps
* Please test the release and report bugs and quirks.
* This release adds some new strings. So translators please update your translation files.

T. Modes

Apr 26, 2015, 4:54:22 AM4/26/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Forgot one info:
The beta 1 is identical to changeset ac376ebfbc5bd23bc6a817b60711c09a6188d1e0 in our repository. It is also tagged as 2015.0beta1.

smib

Apr 26, 2015, 8:50:58 PM4/26/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Just tried running cmake (Win8.1 and MSVC 2013) and get the following error:

Found VIGRA: optimized;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra-1.10.0/src/impex/Release/vigraimpex.lib;debug;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra-1.10.0/src/impex/Debug/vigraimpex.lib

CMake Error at CMakeModules/FindVIGRA.cmake:59 (IF):
if given arguments:

"VERSION_EQUAL" "VIGRA_FIND_VERSION" "OR" "VERSION_GREATER" "VIGRA_FIND_VERSION"

Unknown arguments specified
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:230 (FIND_PACKAGE)

configVersion.hxx is present in the include directory (I have also tried with Vigra 1.9.0)

Any suggestions?

Brian

T. Modes

Apr 27, 2015, 11:12:24 AM4/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Am Montag, 27. April 2015 02:50:58 UTC+2 schrieb smib:

Found VIGRA: optimized;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra-1.10.0/src/impex/Release/vigraimpex.lib;debug;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra-1.10.0/src/impex/Debug/vigraimpex.lib

CMake Error at CMakeModules/FindVIGRA.cmake:59 (IF):
if given arguments:

"VERSION_EQUAL" "VIGRA_FIND_VERSION" "OR" "VERSION_GREATER" "VIGRA_FIND_VERSION"

Unknown arguments specified
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:230 (FIND_PACKAGE)

configVersion.hxx is present in the include directory (I have also tried with Vigra 1.9.0)

Any suggestions?

It works here on windows (with CMake 3.2):
..
Found VIGRA: optimized;C:/xxx/vigraimpex.lib;debug;C:/xxx/vigraimpexd.lib

VIGRA version: 1.10.0

Found EXIV2: C:/xxx

Which CMake version did you use? It works here with 2.8 and 3.2 on Linux or Windows.

Check your configVersion.hxx. It should contain a line like
 #define VIGRA_VERSION "1.10.0"
If not your vigra installation is corrupt.

For diagnostic you could add the following line to CMakeModules/FindVIGRA.cmake
MESSAGE(STATUS "VIGRA version: #${VIGRA_VERSION}#")

at line 59 (before IF(${VIGRA_VERSION} VERSION_EQUAL …) and report the output of CMake.

Thomas

smib

Apr 28, 2015, 12:25:50 AM4/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

I used cmake 3.0.0 but have now updated to 3.2.2.
 configVersion.hxx includes the correct define (ie ver 1.10.0).

Adding the extra line to findVIGRA.cmake as requested gives the following output (note I also simplified some of the directory names and renamed the debug library name) :

Found OPENEXR:

Found VIGRA: optimized;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra/vigraimpex.lib;debug;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra/lib/vigraimpexd.lib

CMake Error at CMakeModules/FindVIGRA.cmake:57 (FILE):
file STRINGS given unknown argument "("

Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:230 (FIND_PACKAGE)

VIGRA version: ##

CMake Error at CMakeModules/FindVIGRA.cmake:62 (IF):

if given arguments:

"VERSION_EQUAL" "VIGRA_FIND_VERSION" "OR" "VERSION_GREATER" "VIGRA_FIND_VERSION"

Unknown arguments specified
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:230 (FIND_PACKAGE)

It seems that cmake is not picking up the version number but I notice that adding the additional line has now given an error in line 57. Remove the added line and the error goes as well!

I am now away until the weekend and do not have time to rebuild Vigra to see if the problem is there - I assume that Vigra requires static builds of the libraries.

Cheers
Brian

Kornel Benko

Apr 28, 2015, 8:00:22 AM4/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am Montag, 27. April 2015 um 21:25:50, schrieb smib <bria...@netspace.net.au>
> > at line 59 (before IF(${VIGRA_VERSION} VERSION_EQUAL …) and report the
> > output of CMake.
> >
> > Thomas
> >

> Hi Thomas
>
> I used cmake 3.0.0 but have now updated to 3.2.2.
> configVersion.hxx includes the correct define (ie ver 1.10.0).
>
> Adding the extra line to findVIGRA.cmake as requested gives the following
> output (note I also simplified some of the directory names and renamed the
> debug library name) :
>
> Found OPENEXR:
>
> Found VIGRA:
> optimized;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra/vigraimpex.lib;debug;E:/Photographic/Huginbase/vigra/lib/vigraimpexd.lib
>
> CMake Error at CMakeModules/FindVIGRA.cmake:57 (FILE):
> file STRINGS given unknown argument "("
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
> CMakeLists.txt:230 (FIND_PACKAGE)
>
> VIGRA version: ##

I think, you must have removed line 58.
The lines should be:
STRING(REGEX REPLACE ".*#define +VIGRA_VERSION +\"([.0-9]+).*" "\\1" VIGRA_VERSION "${VIGRA_VERSION_HXX}")
MESSAGE(STATUS "VIGRA version: #${VIGRA_VERSION}#")
IF(${VIGRA_VERSION} VERSION_EQUAL VIGRA_FIND_VERSION OR ${VIGRA_VERSION} VERSION_GREATER VIGRA_FIND_VERSION)

Kornel
signature.asc

Stefan Peter

Apr 28, 2015, 8:03:14 AM4/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Please find packages for Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty), 14.10 (Utopic) and 15.04
(Vivid) in the Hugin PPA Packagers *next Hugin Build" ppa at
https://launchpad.net/~hugin/+archive/ubuntu/next/+packages

The binaries have two additional patches from the 2015 branch of the
hugin hg repository applied (hg6903_Fixes_a_further_assert_message and
hg6904_Fixes_crash_in_cp_editor. Additionally, the python scripts have
been modified in order to be accepted again by 2015.0.

Please send bug reports to this list.

Cheers

Stefan Peter