white balance questions

Forex Valdes

May 15, 2016, 3:12:45 PM5/15/16
Hi all
I am trying to understand how white balance works for stitching. I know hugin can deal with that automaticaly but I am more interested in the theory behind it. I have some questions and hope can get some help:

1. in hugin what is done first, white balance or exposure compensation? I wrote some software code and tried both and it is difficult to tell what comes first

2. in hugin if I use the grey picker in one image, hugin applies white balance to all the images. does it mean that is uses that image as an ancore and applies the same white balance to the other pictures without taking into account the information in the overlap among images?

3. if i do not use the grey picker hugin does the white balance uisng what is described in this paper http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/icvs2007_final.pdf ? (it is too complex for me to understand the paper)

4. if I use a 6 camera rig with gopros to capture 360 and set the same setting for white balance for all cameras, do I need to do a white balance correction?
Thanks a lot

Caro Valdes

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

May 17, 2016, 7:22:29 AM5/17/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

4. if I use a 6 camera rig with gopros to capture 360 and set the same setting for white balance for all cameras, do I need to do a white balance correction?

I would say you don't need. I usually shoot manually and don't do nor exposure nor white balance correction.

T. Modes

May 17, 2016, 1:13:20 PM5/17/16

Am Sonntag, 15. Mai 2016 21:12:45 UTC+2 schrieb Forex Valdes:
1. in hugin what is done first, white balance or exposure compensation? I wrote some software code and tried both and it is difficult to tell what comes first
Both are done at the same time.

2. in hugin if I use the grey picker in one image, hugin applies white balance to all the images. does it mean that is uses that image as an ancore and applies the same white balance to the other pictures without taking into account the information in the overlap among images?
It takes all images at the click position into account and calculates an average correct factor for the whole pano.

3. if i do not use the grey picker hugin does the white balance uisng what is described in this paper http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/icvs2007_final.pdf ? (it is too complex for me to understand the paper)
yes.

4. if I use a 6 camera rig with gopros to capture 360 and set the same setting for white balance for all cameras, do I need to do a white balance correction?
no, except you are using auto WB on the cameras. (or there are more differences between the different cams.)