Automating from pto to a layered tiff_m on the Mac OSX command line?

Ed Halley

Nov 7, 2015, 4:59:17 AM11/7/15

I'm on the Mac (Mavericks) so I think the 2014 build of Hugin is all I can run at this time.

I'm interested in producing panoramas using the layered TIFF_m format, because I like doing most of the blending manually to deal with pedestrians or other conflicts.  As an alternative, I would want at least individual layers with appropriate empty alpha area so that they will align if loaded into an image editor.

With some other automation or pre-calibration, I can already generate the .PTO file that I want, with all my image orientation and distortion parameters already entered.

I'd like to understand how to send the .PTO file to the PTBatcher queue, or otherwise automate all the layer rendering steps from the command line.

--
[ h a r i . e d o @ g m a i l . c o m ]

Bruno Postle

Nov 10, 2015, 6:01:22 PM11/10/15
On Fri 06-Nov-2015 at 23:21 -0800, Ed Halley wrote:

>I'm on the Mac (Mavericks) so I think the 2014 build of Hugin is all I can
>run at this time.
>
>I'm interested in producing panoramas using the layered TIFF_m format,
>because I like doing most of the blending manually to deal with pedestrians
>or other conflicts. As an alternative, I would want at least individual
>layers with appropriate empty alpha area so that they will align if loaded
>into an image editor.

Sorry I missed this, just catching up on mail. Do you realise you
can create a multilayer TIFF file using tiffcp (a tool that ships
with libtiff)?

Basically, use Hugin to render the intermediate files, don't blend
them together, but join them with tiffcp. tiffcp copes with the
offsets stored in the 'cropped TIFF' output generated by nona and
correctly creates a multilayer TIFF where layers are not necessarily
the same dimensions as the canvas.

--
Bruno

Terry Duell

Nov 10, 2015, 8:52:49 PM11/10/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:01:16 +1100, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:

> On Fri 06-Nov-2015 at 23:21 -0800, Ed Halley wrote:
>>
>> I'm on the Mac (Mavericks) so I think the 2014 build of Hugin is all I
>> can run at this time.
>>
>> I'm interested in producing panoramas using the layered TIFF_m format,
>> because I like doing most of the blending manually to deal with
>> pedestrians or other conflicts.
>
> Sorry I missed this, just catching up on mail. Do you realise you can
> create a multilayer TIFF file using tiffcp (a tool that ships with
> libtiff)?
>
> Basically, use Hugin to render the intermediate files, don't blend them
> together, but join them with tiffcp. tiffcp copes with the offsets
> stored in the 'cropped TIFF' output generated by nona and correctly
> creates a multilayer TIFF where layers are not necessarily the same
> dimensions as the canvas.

Is this the same functionality as using the enblend switch
"--layer-selection=ALGORITHM", available in the enblend-4.2 source?

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Bruno Postle

Nov 11, 2015, 3:40:49 AM11/11/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 11 November 2015 01:52:44 GMT+00:00, Terry Duell wrote:

>Is this the same functionality as using the enblend switch
>"--layer-selection=ALGORITHM", available in the enblend-4.2 source?

I think this is for telling enblend which layers you want to use, for ignoring thumbnail preview images and such like. Though maybe it can be used for blending a multilayer TIFF into a single output image - this would be useful, this functionality existed in enblend early on, but was removed.

--
Bruno

Ed Halley

Dec 1, 2015, 8:48:17 AM12/1/15

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 8:01:22 AM UTC+9, Bruno Postle wrote:
Sorry I missed this, just catching up on mail.  Do you realise you
can create a multilayer TIFF file using tiffcp (a tool that ships
with libtiff)?

Basically, use Hugin to render the intermediate files, don't blend
them together, but join them with tiffcp.  tiffcp copes with the
offsets stored in the 'cropped TIFF' output generated by nona and
correctly creates a multilayer TIFF where layers are not necessarily
the same dimensions as the canvas.

Thanks, Bruno.  I did start digging into all the tiff tools once I realized that GIMP broke tiff_m offset handling (again).  I can also just turn off the "save cropped tiff" if I have the disk space.  I am interested in playing with this area some more.

What I'm really after, from the Mac users out there, is how to do the equivalent of the "hugin_executor" or the "PT Batch Processor" from the command line, with just the hugin-2014 package.  I want command-line PTO->TIFF processing, because I want to create a few thousand PTOs programmatically and create an animation.

Bruno Postle

Dec 2, 2015, 4:18:49 AM12/2/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 1 December 2015 13:48:16 GMT+00:00, Ed Halley wrote:

>What I'm really after, from the Mac users out there, is how to do the
>equivalent of the "hugin_executor" or the "PT Batch Processor" from the
>command line, with just the hugin-2014 package. I want command-line
>PTO->TIFF processing, because I want to create a few thousand PTOs
>programmatically and create an animation.

The command line tools are still there, particularly nona which does the rendering. The Makefile system is gone, but you can submit jobs to the queue using the command line, it is just that now you need a GUI to run the queue processor.

--
Bruno

Ed Halley

Dec 27, 2015, 6:25:29 AM12/27/15
Okay, got a chance to come back to this, but maybe I'm dense.  What's the command line to submit the PTO to the queue?  I'm guessing I have to launch the PTO Batch Processor first like a service, then a different command submits each job?

Bruno Postle

Dec 28, 2015, 2:29:05 PM12/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 27 Dec 2015 12:25, "Ed Halley" <hari...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, got a chance to come back to this, but maybe I'm dense.  What's the command line to submit the PTO to the queue?  I'm guessing I have to launch the PTO Batch Processor first like a service, then a different command submits each job?

You are looking for hugin_executor:

http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_executor

--
Bruno

Ed Halley

Dec 28, 2015, 5:50:26 PM12/28/15

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 4:29:05 AM UTC+9, Bruno Postle wrote:

You are looking for hugin_executor:

http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_executor

The latest build for OSX is Hugin 2014, which does not yet include the Hugin executor.

Terry Duell

Dec 28, 2015, 10:40:37 PM12/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
If you don't have hugin_executor then you should have pto2mk, which allows
you to generate a makefile from your pto, which you can then pass
make...or have I misunderstood your problem?