Align image stack, warp only one image

J Harvey

Nov 16, 2017, 1:35:11 AM11/16/17
I'd like to use align image stack (either command line or in Hugin), but only warp the second of two images.  All the implementation I've tried yields me two mutually warped images. I'd like the base image to remain unchanged, and warp the second to the first.  I have a couple of expensive windows science programs that can do it, but I'd like something for a Linux box.  Any ideas?

bugbear

Nov 16, 2017, 4:24:27 AM11/16/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
J Harvey wrote:
> I'd like to use align image stack (either command line or in Hugin), but only warp the second of two images. All the implementation I've tried yields me two mutually warped images. I'd like the base image to remain unchanged, and warp the second to the first. I have a couple of expensive windows science programs that can do it, but I'd like something for a Linux box. Any ideas?
Hugin can do this, at least in the GUI. It's pretty much the norm to leave the anchor image alone, although it's technically optional.

BugBear

Bruno Postle

Nov 16, 2017, 4:37:04 AM11/16/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
This is how it is supposed to work, the first output image should be the same as the first input image. What parameters are you using? This should just work:

align_image_stack -a output 1.jpg 2.jpg

--
Bruno

J Harvey

Dec 15, 2017, 9:46:49 PM12/15/17
I'm sorry not to get back to you.

I've been using the gui because the two images don't have machine identifiable correlative points.  (think images of the same scene, but acquired non contemporaneously).  I've been using the same gui settings as the command line, with customized control points, and I get two warped images as output.

Bruno Postle

Dec 16, 2017, 3:45:23 AM12/16/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
My first thought is that the output projection needs to be the same as the input projection. Hugin defaults to equirectangular output, this will appear distorted if your input images are rectilinear.

Secondly, check that both your images have been assigned as a different 'lens'. This should happen automatically, but Hugin will assume they are from the same lens/camera if the image dimensions are the same and there is no other metadata found inside the file.

--
Bruno

J Harvey

Dec 16, 2017, 4:42:51 AM12/16/17
This could be a source of the problem.  The two images were themselves panoramas created using Hugin, and thus don't have 'normal' lens parameters.  I'm approaching my problem from another direction now, so I haven't been following up on this much.