Is anyone else seeing this in Hugin?

dabi...@aisv.lt

Jun 7, 2016, 11:37:48 AM6/7/16
Hello all!
I have recently found Hugin and have started using it to create large panoramic shots and mostly 360x180 images, however I seem to be unable to get the alignment to work on one of my recent 360x180 project of 32 images. I set up control points to ensure all the images are connected, then run alignment but receive this message in the reports:

Skipping automatic leveling because of existing vertical control points.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

After this the alignment box closes and nothing is aligned. Has anyone else seen this error before and have a way to go around it or to fix it?
Thanks,
David

T. Modes

Jun 7, 2016, 12:12:58 PM6/7/16
Hello,

one time is enough, don't need to do it twice.

Am Dienstag, 7. Juni 2016 17:37:48 UTC+2 schrieb dabi...@aisv.lt:
I set up control points to ensure all the images are connected, then run alignment but receive this message in the reports:

Skipping automatic leveling because of existing vertical control points.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

After this the alignment box closes and nothing is aligned. Has anyone else seen this error before and have a way to go around it or to fix it?

The skipping message has probably nothing to do with the error. Could you post the pto file (after generating cpontrol points, the pto file is sufficient) and the full log?

Stefan Peter

Jun 7, 2016, 12:28:13 PM6/7/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Dear David,

On 07.06.2016 17:35, dabi...@aisv.lt wrote:
> I set up control points to ensure all the images are connected,
> then run alignment but receive this message in the reports:
>
> Skipping automatic leveling because of existing vertical control points.
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.

Would you please let us know

o What Operating System you use
o What Hugin version you use
o Where did you get it from

With kind regards

Stefan Peter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

dabi...@aisv.lt

Jun 7, 2016, 1:44:42 PM6/7/16
to hugin and other free panoramic software, s_p...@swissonline.ch
Hello,
Thank you for your response T. Modes and Stefan, 2016.0.0.3b4e2790cb90 is my current version, I got it from the Hugin website. Currently I am on windows 10 and I've attached the log and pto file. Let me know if anything is unusual.
Regards,
David
log.txt
PTo file.pto

T. Modes

Jun 7, 2016, 2:15:11 PM6/7/16
to hugin and other free panoramic software, s_p...@swissonline.ch
Hi David,

Am Dienstag, 7. Juni 2016 19:44:42 UTC+2 schrieb dabi...@aisv.lt:
Hello,
Thank you for your response T. Modes and Stefan, 2016.0.0.3b4e2790cb90 is my current version, I got it from the Hugin website. Currently I am on windows 10 and I've attached the log and pto file. Let me know if anything is unusual.

Update to 2016.2 (we are currently at beta1). There I can't reproduce the crash.
Did you really shot with a cylindrical lens, or was it a rectilinear lens? This is at least very unusual.

dabi...@aisv.lt

Jun 7, 2016, 3:25:57 PM6/7/16
to hugin and other free panoramic software, s_p...@swissonline.ch
Hello!
I updated and it appears the error disappeared. I believe it was an installation error with the version I had on my computer. Thank you for prompting me to reinstall, I suppose if anyone else has a similar issue in the future either re-installing or updating does the trick!
Thank you,
David
P.S. Within the Hugin program a cylindrical lens provides me with a rectangular preview resembling the original save file while the rectilinear lens gives a preview with rounded edges? Is this normal, what is the reason the edges are rounded in the rectilinear option?

Carl von Einem

Jun 8, 2016, 4:24:05 AM6/8/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi David!

dabi...@aisv.lt wrote on 07.06.16 21:25:

> P.S. Within the Hugin program a cylindrical lens provides me with a
> rectangular preview resembling the original save file while the
> rectilinear lens gives a preview with rounded edges? Is this normal,
> what is the reason the edges are rounded in the rectilinear option?

What you see in the preview window is just a reprojected version of your
image. The standard output projection for Hugin projects is
equirectangular (aimed at e.g. full spherical panoramas to be viewed in
a special viewer).

A usual camera with a standard (wide angle) lens (e.g. also the built-in
lens from a smartphone) produces input images with rectilinear
projection. Some special lenses widely used for panoramic photography
use fisheye projection.
Here is a nice comparison: <http://wiki.panotools.org/Projections>

Now when you define your input image as using a cylindrical projection
just to have a familiar looking preview there are two misconceptions:

- a camera that provides you with photos (I tend to describe photos as
"input images" for Hugin) with a cylindrical projection exists but is
somehow unusual.
See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_%28camera%29>

- if you need to output a rectilinear image (and see that in the preview
window), just set output projection to rectilinear. Be aware that this
would lead to absurd looking results if you stitch images that together
span over a lot more than 90 degrees since that projection
mathematically can only cope with a relatively small field of view. See
the panotools wiki -> Projections link.

So what do you want to achieve: just correct one image for e.g. barrel
distortion? Stitch a small number of photos to get a partial panorama
from e.g. a lookout point in the mountains? Stitch a full spherical
panorama? Or something completely different?

I count 32 images in your pto file, what kind of camera and lens do you use?

Cheers,
Carl

dabi...@aisv.lt

Jun 11, 2016, 6:17:11 AM6/11/16
to hugin and other free panoramic software, ca...@einem.net
Hi Zarl!
Thank you for the very informative response.
The task that I am trying to accomplish is to stitch a 360 degree panorama. The camera I was using is the Nikon  D3200 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-105 mm on a tripod. I was thinking that perhaps 32 images is too few, as I am not using a fish eye lens, but also before I start any larger projects I want to ensure I have everything working fine, as the Nikon D3200 produces images that aren't too large and 32 images are relatively easy to process in a program like this.
Let me know what you think!
Regards,
David

Carl von Einem

Jun 12, 2016, 12:23:25 PM6/12/16
to dabi...@aisv.lt, hugin and other free panoramic software
I see, with that camera / lens combination 32 images is a relistic
number to start with. Once you are comfortable with this shooting
technique you could try a different shooting pattern.

The D3200 has a 1.5x crop factor, so with your zoom lens set to 18 mm
and a panoramic head on a tripod you should also be able to shoot a full
sphere with about 24 images (10x pitch=30, 10x p=-30, 2x nadir, 2x
zenith). So with this pattern you actually don't shoot a horizontal row
with pitch=0. That works fine for e.g. rooms without people in it.

Depending on your panoramic head and rotator you could also try if you
have enough overlap with 9 images per row (every 40°) instead of 10
images. I'd try that setup starting with the lower row and adjust that
so that you just don't see your panoramic head in the frames. The upper
row should be set to get enough (enough? whatever that is...) overlap so
Hugin is able to detect control points.

Carl