New to hugin - panoramic image seems to not have blended properly

Maeve Power

Mar 12, 2017, 2:56:02 PM3/12/17
Hi, I am completely new to hugin and after following steps gathered from multiple tutorials i have created a panorama but there are sections of it that are blurry. I don't understand why, as it doesn't seem to happen at every image overlap.

Again I am completely new to this so sorry if I don't sound very knowledgable but if anyone can explain why this is that would be great. And if more information is needed please let me know.

Thanks!

Maeve
IMG_0214 - IMG_0225_fused.jpg

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Mar 12, 2017, 6:55:31 PM3/12/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 9:29:33 -0700, Maeve Power wrote:
> Hi, I am completely new to hugin and after following steps gathered from
> multiple tutorials i have created a panorama but there are sections of it
> that are blurry. I don't understand why, as it doesn't seem to happen at
> every image overlap.

Hmm, interesting. I've seen this kind of effect before, but I forget
why. Could it be that you have used different exposures for each
image? It could be that enblend is having difficulties adjusting the
exposure.

The other thing you could try would be a few more overlaps.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger groo...@gmail.com for PGP public key.

dgjohnston

Mar 12, 2017, 7:22:38 PM3/12/17
to Hugin Pano
Is it one particular overlap? Possibly you have bad control points?

Try the edit-fine-tune all control points. Then use f3 to list all control points and click on the distance tab to sort. Are some distances way below .80?

Don Johnston
Sent from my 029 Keypunch.
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Mar 12, 2017, 8:33:42 PM3/12/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 17:22:32 -0600, dgjohnston wrote:

No, look at the image. The control points are OK.

Now that I doubt. But it would be nice if you would send your
messages in plain text.
signature.asc

Donald Johnston

Mar 13, 2017, 1:24:12 PM3/13/17
to Hugin Pano

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <groo...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [hugin-ptx] New to hugin - panoramic image seems to not have blended properly
Date: March 12, 2017 at 6:33:39 PM CST

On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 17:22:32 -0600, dgjohnston wrote:

No, look at the image.  The control points are OK.

I see no image in the email I receive. Wouldn’t minor mis-alignments create what looked like an out of focus image?

Now that I doubt.  But it would be nice if you would send your
messages in plain text.

You know what an 029 is then?  And I have no idea why the email had all that fancy text. It was from my Samsung cell phone. This email is from my Mac.

Don

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger groo...@gmail.com for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft mail program

A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Mar 13, 2017, 10:42:02 PM3/13/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 13 March 2017 at 11:24:08 -0600, Donald Johnston wrote:
> On March 12, 2017 at 6:33:39 PM CST, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" wrote:
>> On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 17:22:32 -0600, dgjohnston wrote:

>> No, look at the image. The control points are OK.
>
> I see no image in the email I receive.

It was there. In case of doubt, look at it online at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hugin-ptx/p3vwK4EHV6A

> Wouldn???t minor
> mis-alignments create what looked like an out of focus image?

Take a look and I think you'll agree that this isn't the case here.

>> Now that I doubt. But it would be nice if you would send your
>> messages in plain text.
>
> You know what an 029 is then?

Better than I care to remember.

> And I have no idea why the email had all that fancy text. It was
> from my Samsung cell phone.

That sounds like the answer.
signature.asc

T. Modes

Mar 14, 2017, 12:40:45 PM3/14/17

Am Sonntag, 12. März 2017 19:56:02 UTC+1 schrieb Maeve Power:
i have created a panorama but there are sections of it that are blurry. I don't understand why,

this can be caused
a) by an incorrect crop (check if the crop circle covers only exposed areas and there are no parts of the pano heads in the cropped area)
b) a bug in the blender ( try another blender - on the stitcher tab - or run enblend with another seam generator e.g. --primary-seam-generator=nft)

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Mar 14, 2017, 1:35:40 PM3/14/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
As Greg I also think I have seen this before. Did you use any mask? Did you change the blender or any of its parameter?

Maybe you can also try to change the blender, like using multiblend.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Carl von Einem

Mar 16, 2017, 5:15:32 AM3/16/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maeve,
from the information you give I suspect that you suffer from a typical
problem that beginners have: a large number of tutorials of which a
certain number is completely outdated (our fault); and the urge to take
all steps at once. Take your time and start with easier panoramas than
one full spherical from a room.

Enblend was mentioned a few times in this thread. From having a look at
your image I suspect you changed the blender to "internal" (verdandi),
likely with the new "soft" option. Right?

Yes, we need more information from you:

About your camera / lens setup; do you use a pano head and tripod; have
you understood and followed the steps to find the no parallax point
(NPP) of your lens

What was your workflow:
- You seem to use JPGs, do you know about (is your camera capable of)
shooting and working with RAW images? Your images btw suffer from color
fringes which can be corrected during the whole process.
- Your file name ends with fused which tells me that you just clicked on
some output option in the stitcher tab. Please describe your steps in
Hugin, your computer platform, which version of Hugin do you use.
- Which user mode do you use (standard, advanced, expert)?

Did you already have a look at the tutorials section of the panotools
wiki at <http://wiki.panotools.org/>? It has some nice articles about
first steps and basic concepts. You can also use it as a glossary for
all the special terms used for this technique.

I always recommend not to start with a full spherical panorama taken in
a room with lots of close features and complicated patterns at the floor
and at the ceiling. Better go outside and look for a spot with some
buildings around you. Take one complete horizontal row of images, all
overlapping about 30% and covering the complete 360 degrees from left to
right. This set of photos can be used to calibrate your lens (have a
look at the wiki or use Hugins integrated help: search for "lens
correction model" -> scroll down to "Determine lens correction"), check
the quality of your panohead setup regarding the correct NPP, make
yourself familiar with the concept of (look up ->) "vertical control
points" (to align your panorama no matter if the tripod is set up in an
exactly vertical position).

And please scale down panoramas you send to the list as some list
members may use slow internet connections or check their mails on a
mobile device. Better upload your image(s) to some online service and
just send us the link.

You could send us your project file though (the one ending with .pto).

Cheers,
Carl