automate hundreds of panoramas

Mayeul Kauffmann

Feb 1, 2015, 2:49:25 PM2/1/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have folders with about 40000 pictures (taken over 15 years). About 30% of them are meant to be combined in a few hundreds of panorama. In each folders, there are pictures for 1 to 10 panoramas. I'd like to group them based on their timestamps, moving them to individual folders whose name would be based on the timestamp of the first picture.
A bash script would be ideal (python or other FLOSS are OK). I'd like to tell the script what is the maximum allowed time (in seconds) between two pictures which are supposed to belong to the same panorama.
Ideally, after running this, another script could automatically search for common points in the image, possibly doingg some checks to eliminate false positive, then assemble them. Still my main concern is the grouping by time, so far.
I am aware of the possibility to automatically group pictures with Hugin Batch Processor. However, Hugin crashes on my Kubuntu (14.04) and the Batch Processor does not work for me with wine. In any case, a bash script might be better for hundreds of panoramas than a GUI.

Thanks for any pointer!
Mayeul

Terry Duell

Feb 1, 2015, 4:54:39 PM2/1/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mayeul,
Have you made a bug report about hugin crashing?
If not you can do so here <https://bugs.launchpad.net/hugin>.
Which release or version of hugin are you using?
Do you have Bruno Postle's perl Panotools-Script?
It is available here <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Panotools-Script/>
That provides tools which may help how you tackle this.
Have a look at "panostart", it may give you some clues.
I guess there are many different ways you could tackle this. My thoughts
would be to do as you suggest to initially get them into groups, then you
could use "pto_gen".
Have a look at the the shell scripts provided in the "stitching flat
scanned images" tutorial
<http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml>, if you haven't
already, they may also help get you started.
Just my "two bob's worth", others may have better advice.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Mayeul Kauffmann

Feb 1, 2015, 6:25:49 PM2/1/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Terry, I'll have a look

Marius Loots

Feb 2, 2015, 1:53:37 AM2/2/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Mayeul,

Mayeul> based on their timestamps, moving them to individual folders whose name
Mayeul> would be based on the timestamp of the first picture.

I have had great success with AmoK Exif Sorter to do an initial sort
of images according to time
(http://www.amok.am/en/freeware/amok_exif_sorter/).

I have used it successfully after shooting photos over a few days, and
needed to identify panoramas between single shots. I am sure it will
scale to your need. This could be a first step to reduce the load on
Hugin Batch Processor.

Groetnis
Marius
mailto:mlo...@medic.up.ac.za
--
add some chaos to your life and put the world in order
http://www.mapungubwe.co.za/

Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/
beskikbaar.

T. Modes

Feb 2, 2015, 12:56:56 PM2/2/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Am Sonntag, 1. Februar 2015 20:49:25 UTC+1 schrieb Mayeul Kauffmann:
A bash script would be ideal (python or other FLOSS are OK). I'd like to tell the script what is the maximum allowed time (in seconds) between two pictures which are supposed to belong to the same panorama.
Ideally, after running this, another script could automatically search for common points in the image, possibly doingg some checks to eliminate false positive, then assemble them. Still my main concern is the grouping by time, so far.

 This is an description of the function "File>Search directory for...>Images" in PTBatcherGUI. Because it works on a folder base it should also work with bigger numbers.
You can also select the maximal time difference in seconds. At the end you can send all projects to the queue and run assistant on all.

FabKzo

Feb 15, 2015, 2:09:42 PM2/15/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mayeul,

Have you found a pythonic solution to sort, move and generate panos ? I'm  trying to make one in version 2.7 ; actually I'm using a bash one to sort photos by timestamps (using imagemagick -identify option for exiftags) then I use PTbatcherGUI but I'd prefer to make all in python for portability ( win / linux / mac ); Have you read about the HSI (hugin scripting interface)?