Link/Unlink Images and Parameters?

dkloi

Aug 2, 2017, 2:04:20 PM8/2/17
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find the link/unlink option in the Context (right click) Menu or the link checkboxes when editing image parameters. For example, I select an image in the Photos tab, one that shares a lens with other images, and right click to bring up the context menu. Supposedly there should be a link/unlink option as the first item on the menu but it is missing, instead it is "Edit image variables...". When editing the image variables, I cannot see any boxes for linking/unlinking lens parameters.

I'm using the Expert interface on the official 64bit Windows version of 2017.0.0 under Windows 10 and Windows 7. This has been the situation for at least the last few releases, I can only remember being able to access link/unlink options in the versions before the big UI change.

Can people confirm that the link/unlink options are supposed to exist (in the Windows version)? Or is the documentation out of date?

Thanks,
Daniel.

T. Modes

Aug 2, 2017, 2:31:19 PM8/2/17

Am Mittwoch, 2. August 2017 20:04:20 UTC+2 schrieb dkloi:
Can people confirm that the link/unlink options are supposed to exist (in the Windows version)? Or is the documentation out of date?

It is still there. But it is only in the context when the linkage can be show: also for the lens parameter when the view is grouped by lens and for positions parameters when grouped by stack.

dkloi

Aug 2, 2017, 2:59:58 PM8/2/17
I tried grouping by lens and stack as you said but still can't see the option to link/unlink parameters. I attach screenshots showing the lack of checkboxes in the Edit Image Variables dialogue.
NoLinks_Stacks.png
NoLinks_Lens.png

T. Modes

Aug 2, 2017, 3:46:54 PM8/2/17

Am Mittwoch, 2. August 2017 20:59:58 UTC+2 schrieb dkloi:
I tried grouping by lens and stack as you said but still can't see the option to link/unlink parameters. I attach screenshots showing the lack of checkboxes in the Edit Image Variables dialogue.

I haven't written something from the dialog. It is in the context menu.

dkloi

Aug 2, 2017, 4:29:58 PM8/2/17
Finally found it! I had been right clicking on the image name, that's why I wasn't seeing the unlink option. I needed to right click slightly to the left. Thanks for the help, I've been searching for the option for years.
NoLink_Context.png
Link_Context.png

mh00h

Aug 2, 2017, 4:33:37 PM8/2/17
Can someone explain what this link/unlink feature does? Is there any documentation on it yet? Happy to write it into wiki.panotools.org if someone could teach me.

dkloi

Aug 2, 2017, 4:51:14 PM8/2/17
It is documented in both Hugin help and panotools. Just search for "unlink" and you'll get hits on the relevant sections. Basically it's to determine whether certain parameters get modified the same way when optimising for a group of images either with the same lens or in the same stack. E.g. if you use a zoom lens then you may want to unlink the lens parameters so that different images taken with the same nominal lens can be optimized individually for e.g. hfov. You could just give them all different lenses, but maybe you want to keep some parameters linked, and others independent.