Can Hugin change the projection of a video?

Robert Giordano

Jul 10, 2016, 5:39:32 AM7/10/16
I want to change the projection of all frames in a video from Fisheye to Equirectangular Panini. I'm not trying to stitch any images. I'm not doing a 360 video. I'm just trying to do a lens correction. I've exported a single frame from my video and Hugin changes the image perfectly. Is it possible to use Hugin to change all of the frames in the video?

thanks,

Robert

Robert Giordano

Jul 10, 2016, 7:37:02 PM7/10/16
FOLLOWUP...

Here is what I want to do...

But I want to do that to every frame of a video. If I need to, I could export the video to a series of images in a folder. Is there a command line script that would change the projection on every image in a folder? If so, then I could import all of the frames back into my video editor.

It would be nice if there was a way to do it without exporting the video to tens of thousands of individual images (1 minute of footage at 60fps = 3,600 images) but if I have to start there I will.

thanks

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Zoilo ABAD

Jul 10, 2016, 7:52:24 PM7/10/16

the best solution I have found for the moment is to
 - slice the video on picture (I use premiere but you can have a lot of method to do that)
 - create one template .pto with all the modification you want to do
 - copy the template the time you have of picture (3600 times for you...)
 - change the name of the picture inside the pto
 - use the batch tool on hugin to import all the pto and process them

I have made a little tool with processing to copy the pto and change the picture name inside
you can take a look and modify the code to make what you want

If you don't know how to play with processing let me know and if I have time I do a special version for you
https://fablabwgtn.github.io/Mobile-360/post/tutorial-stitch.html

Zoilo

Robert Giordano

Jul 10, 2016, 8:14:30 PM7/10/16
Hi Zoilo,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I use Premiere CS6 and I can export the video to folder of pictures. But if I have a 5 minute video (some are even longer) that's 18,000 images!

I can create a single .pto file but surely there must be a better way than having to make 18,000 .pto files??

What about making a dynamic .pto file using PHP or something? When I make thumbnails on a website, I use PHP to make a list of all the images in a folder, then create a thumbnail for each image in the list. Does your script create 18,000 .pto files because Hugin needs all of them?

thanks,

Robert

Zoilo ABAD

Jul 10, 2016, 8:35:18 PM7/10/16
is exactly that, hugin need a pto for each picture so we need to make a pto template and use it for all the picture
my script copy this pto for each picture and I use hugin batch to process them
but if you want something more dynamic you can modify the pto for the picture, send to hugin via command line and do the next picture till the end with php

you may have a better solution directly with hugin but I never found for the moment (maybe with the advanced interface?)

Sean Greenslade

Jul 10, 2016, 9:13:45 PM7/10/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 05:14:30PM -0700, Robert Giordano wrote:
> Hi Zoilo,
>
> Thanks for the reply! Yes, I use Premiere CS6 and I can export the video to
> folder of pictures. But if I have a 5 minute video (some are even longer)
> that's 18,000 images!
>
> I can create a single .pto file but surely there must be a better way than
> having to make 18,000 .pto files??
>
> What about making a dynamic .pto file using PHP or something? When I make
> thumbnails on a website, I use PHP to make a list of all the images in a
> folder, then create a thumbnail for each image in the list. Does your
> script create 18,000 .pto files because Hugin needs all of them?
>
> thanks,
>
> Robert

Sure, you can generate a .pto file using any scripting language, even
PHP (though I would imagine python or even bash might be a bit simpler).

Basically, you need a script that loops over every frame file, generates
the pto, processes it, and saves the output file with the proper name.
If you get clever with the script, it could scan a directory and process
all files in it. That way, you just explode the video into a directory,
then fire off the script.

--Sean

Robert Giordano

Jul 10, 2016, 9:29:43 PM7/10/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sean and Zoilo

I'm doing video editing on several Mac computers, OSX 10.9.5. I won't be able to install PHP on them so I'm guessing I will need a bash script?

I'm not an expert at command line scripting. Is there a place where I can read about command line options for Hugin? For example, is there a direct command to change the projection of an image, given the lens and HFOV parameters? Or do I have to create a .pto file just for this single operation?

I could probably look up how to get a list of files in a folder but then I might need some help after that.

thanks,

Robert

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Design215 Inc.
Commercial Photography, Advertising and Media
www.Design215.com

Robert Giordano, President
+1 954 461 7340 mobile
+1 954 630 3695 office
+1 954 566 6155 fax

Terry Duell

Jul 10, 2016, 9:37:38 PM7/10/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Robert,

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:29:41 +1000, Robert Giordano <rob...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not an expert at command line scripting. Is there a place where I can
> read about command line options for Hugin? For example, is there a direct
> command to change the projection of an image, given the lens and HFOV
> parameters? Or do I have to create a .pto file just for this single
> operation?

Have a look at pano_modify, it might help...but it does its work on a .pto
file.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Sean Greenslade

Jul 10, 2016, 10:37:57 PM7/10/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:29:41PM -0400, Robert Giordano wrote:
> Thanks Sean and Zoilo
>
> I'm doing video editing on several Mac computers, OSX 10.9.5. I won't be
> able to install PHP on them so I'm guessing I will need a bash script?

PHP is not typically used for this sort of thing, so don't worry about
it.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with OSX. I do believe it has bash,
so pretty much any bash tutorial should help you. I like this one:

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

> I'm not an expert at command line scripting. Is there a place where I can
> read about command line options for Hugin? For example, is there a direct
> command to change the projection of an image, given the lens and HFOV
> parameters? Or do I have to create a .pto file just for this single
> operation?

My best advice here is to make a project with Hugin that does what you
want, then save the .pto file and inspect it. Then either turn that file
into a template or model your pto generation code after it.

> I could probably look up how to get a list of files in a folder but then I
> might need some help after that.

Best way to tackle something like this is to draw out the overview of
what you want to happen. e.g.:

loop over files:
generate pto with current file name
run nona / hugin_executor / whatever
move file to destination folder
delete pto file

Once you have that, then start implementing a bit at a time. Breaking
the problem up makes exploring unfamiliar territory easier.

--Sean

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 2:33:04 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Sean,

The methods you suggest are logical. That's pretty much how I attack problems anyway. I was hoping there was a direct command to transform the projection of an image. That would be a lot simpler (and probably faster as far as CPU cycles go) than using the entire Hugin program.

I will try making a .pto and inspect it. It might give me some clues.

I also want to mention that I found a way to do what I want in Photoshop CS6 but its also a bit inefficient. I could not find a way to do the equirectangular panini directly in PS so I used several filters to achieve a similar result. Since the images are all the same size and shape (they're all video frames) my sequence of adjustments can be repeated across all of them.
- I open the video file in PS and make it a "smart layer"
- I apply my sequence of filters to it (they are not applied immediately)
- I select "render video" and choose my video output options
- Then I wait just over 2 hours for PS to process 2 minutes of footage (7200 frames) but then I have a complete .mov file.

So, the drawbacks of using PS are
1) its close but not exactly what I want, while Hugin does exactly what I want in a single step, and
2) it takes forever and I have a fairly fast Mac.

I haven't timed how long it will take to export a video to 7200 separate images from Premiere but that will play a factor.

I've also wondered how hard it is to make a plugin for Premiere. With all of the thousands of things you can do in Premiere (or After Effects) I was surprised I couldn't find a plugin that would let me change the projection of a video. Maybe there is but I wasn't able to find it after 2 solid days of searching.

I'll post what I find as I experiment with the .pto file in case it can help others in the future.

Robert

--Sean

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Zoilo ABAD

Jul 11, 2016, 3:14:15 AM7/11/16
You may can do on blender
http://blendersushi.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/blender-x-iphone-with-gopano-kogeto.html

If you make the shape of your lens and "glue" the video to it and unwrap after??

Bruno Postle

Jul 11, 2016, 4:01:23 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 11 July 2016 01:14:30 BST, Robert Giordano wrote:

>Thanks for the reply! Yes, I use Premiere CS6 and I can export the
>video to folder of pictures. But if I have a 5 minute video (some are even
>longer) that's 18,000 images!
>
>I can create a single .pto file but surely there must be a better way
>than having to make 18,000 .pto files??

You can do all this with a single PTO template. No need to rewrite the filename inside because nona allows you to specify the input filename on the command line:

nona -o output1234 template.pto input1234.jpg

--
Bruno
Message has been deleted

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 4:59:32 AM7/11/16
Thanks Bruno,

Here's my .pto file:

# hugin project file
#hugin_ptoversion 2
p f16 w2250 h1288 v111  E0 R0 n"TIFF_m c:LZW r:CROP"
m g1 i0 f0 m2 p0.00784314

# image lines
#-hugin  cropFactor=1
i w1920 h1080 f2 v102.887186666987 Ra0 Rb0 Rc0 Rd0 Re0 Eev0 Er1 Eb1 r0 p0 y0 TrX0 TrY0 TrZ0 Tpy0 Tpp0 j0 a0 b0 c0 d0 e0 g0 t0 Va1 Vb0 Vc0 Vd0 Vx0 Vy0  Vm5 n"test.00.35.54.png"

# specify variables that should be optimized
v Ra0
v Rb0
v Rc0
v Rd0
v Re0
v Vb0
v Vc0
v Vd0

# control points

#hugin_optimizeReferenceImage 0
#hugin_blender enblend
#hugin_remapper nona
#hugin_enblendOptions
#hugin_enfuseOptions
#hugin_hdrmergeOptions -m avg -c
#hugin_outputLDRBlended true
#hugin_outputLDRLayers false
#hugin_outputLDRExposureRemapped false
#hugin_outputLDRExposureLayers false
#hugin_outputLDRExposureBlended false
#hugin_outputLDRStacks false
#hugin_outputLDRExposureLayersFused false
#hugin_outputHDRBlended false
#hugin_outputHDRLayers false
#hugin_outputHDRStacks false
#hugin_outputLayersCompression LZW
#hugin_outputImageType jpg
#hugin_outputImageTypeCompression LZW
#hugin_outputJPEGQuality 94
#hugin_outputImageTypeHDR exr
#hugin_outputImageTypeHDRCompression LZW
#hugin_outputStacksMinOverlap 0.7
#hugin_outputLayersExposureDiff 0.5
#hugin_optimizerMasterSwitch 1
#hugin_optimizerPhotoMasterSwitch 21

that took the image, "test.00.35.54.png":

and produced this:

Now I have to figure out how to call nona from the command line on my Mac

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 5:35:45 AM7/11/16
Okay this worked:

/Applications/hugin.2014.0.0/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS/nona -o output test.0000.pto test.0000.png

and it produced output0000.tif

I'll have to figure out why it created a .tif instead of a .jpg

Terry Duell

Jul 11, 2016, 5:37:13 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 18:52:04 +1000, Robert Giordano <rob...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Okay, here's my .pto file:

...and a 4.6MB file and a 6.4MB in your next post.
This is not good etiquette.
If you need to provide large files please do it via Dropbox or similar so
that only those that need to access the files can do so.

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 5:54:33 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about that

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 5:55:41 AM7/11/16
Sorry about that!!

Markku Kolkka

Jul 11, 2016, 6:25:21 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Your .pto file has the line:

p f16 w2250 h1288 v111 E0 R0 n"TIFF_m c:LZW r:CROP"

The n option controls the output file format, use n"JPEG_m" for JPEG
output. The c: and r: options aren't available with JPEG and the
compression factor may be defined by adding a q: option.

There should be a nona.txt file inside the "doc" directory of your Hugin
installation which explains the options in a .pto file.

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 6:44:33 AM7/11/16
Thanks!! That works!! I was playing with the "Write PTStitcher Script" option in the Hugin File menu and now I have this:

# PTStitcher script, written by hugin

p f16 w2250 h1362 v111  n"JPEG q94"

m g1 i0 f0 m2 p0.00784314

# output image lines
o w1920 h1080 f2 Tpp0 Tpy0 TrX0 TrY0 TrZ0 a0 b0 c0 d0 e0 g0 p0 r0 t0 v102.887186666987 y0  n""

I changed to the JPEG option and added q. Now I just have to figure out how to make a batch script.

Thanks everyone, this has been very interesting so far!!

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 6:49:25 AM7/11/16
Unfortunately, there is no "doc" directory in my installation (maybe because I'm on a Mac?)

Erik Krause

Jul 11, 2016, 7:41:16 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 10.07.2016 um 11:22 schrieb Robert Giordano:
> I want to change the projection of all frames in a video from Fisheye to
> Equirectangular Panini.

It's a pity that mpremap wasn't developed any further. The new
projections would be very nice:
http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

--
Erik Krause

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 11, 2016, 7:44:17 AM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
There are many documentation on the Internet on how to make a bash script. Here is one example.

I guess here you will need basically a loop:

-------------------
#!/bin/bash

for number in $(seq -w 1 18000); do
  /Applications/hugin.2014.0.0/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS/nona -o output test.$number.pto test.$number.png
done
-------------------

And if you install ffmpeg you can automate all the job

-------------------
#!/bin/bash

# split the video in frames using 5 digits
ffmpeg -i yourVideo.mp4 -qscale:v 2 frame-%05d.jpg

# count the frames
total=$(ls frame-*.jpg | wc -l)

# loop on the frames
for number in $(seq -w 1 $total); do
  /Applications/hugin.2014.0.0/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS/nona -o output test.$number.pto frame-$number.jpg
done

ffmpeg -i output%05d.jpg final_output.mp4

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 3:15:55 PM7/11/16
Carlos, that is excellent!!

Since I'm passing each filename to nona in the loop, can I just use a single test.pto instead of test.$number.pto ??

Thanks again!!

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 11, 2016, 5:48:47 PM7/11/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Carlos, that is excellent!!

Since I'm passing each filename to nona in the loop, can I just use a single test.pto instead of test.$number.pto ??

Thanks again!!

Surely! You got it!

Monkey

Jul 11, 2016, 6:55:10 PM7/11/16
I have to say I really think Hugin is the wrong tool for this job!

If someone can help me out with the maths behind converting Fisheye to Equirectangular, there is an Avisynth pluging called xyremap (written by me!) which will do this in near realtime.

(I seem to remember there is an .exe in the distribution which will give individual transform coordinates on request, from a PTO - but I don't recall finding out a way to give a full map of coordinates in one call. If that could be done I could modify my plugin to read the map and apply it to the video)

-Monkey

Robert Giordano

Jul 11, 2016, 8:57:53 PM7/11/16
Hi Monkey,

Avisynth looks very interesting. I'm on a Mac but I have access to Windows machines. I do my editing in Adobe Premiere/After Effects CS6. The only reason I'm using Hugin is because it does exactly what I need, but only to single frames, one at a time. It would be nice to convert an 8 minute video shot at 60fps without having to convert it to 28,800 JPEGS and then convert it back to video.

I really appreciate all the help given here so far and I'm currently experimenting with FFMPEG as suggested above by Cartola

Also, I'd like to point out that I want a PANINI equirectangular projection (or an adjustable Panini), not a plain Equirectangular projection. It just so happens that in the Hugin drop-down menu of projections, there is "Equirectangular Panini" and it does exactly what I want, given the lens horizontal field of view (HFOV) that I input.

Here is a link with TONS of stuff about the panini projection: http://tksharpless.net/vedutismo/Pannini/

At one point he seems to have built a video converter but it hasn't been supported for years and I couldn't get it to work on two different Windows machines.

I'm REALLY surprised I couldn't find a plugin for Premiere that does this.

thanks,

Robert

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 12, 2016, 7:47:57 AM7/12/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I'm REALLY surprised I couldn't find a plugin for Premiere that does this.

There is a "defish" effect on Kdenlive, but I really don't know if it can do what you need. You can test Kdenlive runnint linux on a pendrive if you can't install it on your Mac.

Monkey

Jul 12, 2016, 4:35:12 PM7/12/16
Avisynth will run under WINE (and an AviSynth script can fed as input to ffmpeg), but there is also VapourSynth which was inspired by AviSynth and is cross-platform (but using a more complicated syntax). I don't really know anything about VapourSynth though.

I did see that you said Equirectangular Panini, but I forgot to type the second word.

Robert Giordano

Jul 12, 2016, 7:01:06 PM7/12/16
First, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips!! I'm going to describe my procedure and test results in detail for the benefit of people reading this post in the future.

Here's my current setup:

Computer:
Macbook PRO 2.3 GHz i7
OS X 10.9.5

Test Video:
clip0076.mov
- 1080p 59.94fps
- movie is approx. 1 min 52 sec, 6,711 total frames
- file size is 419.9 MB

I'm using Hugin 2014.0.0 installed in /Applications/Hugin

I created a file named "hugin" in my paths.d folder with these paths:
/Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS
/Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/Resources
/Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/Resources/HuginStitchProject.app/Contents/MacOS

This lets me run nona from the command line without having to type the full path

I installed FFmpeg using Homebrew:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MacOSX

TEST RESULTS:

1. Use FFmpeg to split the movie into a folder of numbered images:

METHOD 1 - lossless PNG

ffmpeg -i clip0076.mov frame-%05d.png

- 21 minutes to create 6,711 PNG files totaling 29.81 GB (70X the original file size!)

METHOD 2 - high quality JPG

ffmpeg -i GOPR0076clip.mov -qscale:v 2 frame-%05d.jpg

- LESS THAN 2 minutes to create 6,711 JPG files totaling 3.88 GB (more reasonable)

2. Use Hugin to convert all of the images to Equirectangular Panini:

Here's the bash script (slightly modified from Carlos Cartola's suggestion):

# loop on the frames
for number in $(seq 1 $total); do
  n=$(printf %05d $number)
  echo $n
  nona -o out-$n /Users/design215/Video/_hugin/test.0001.pto frame-$n.jpg
done

test.0001.pto is a Hugin .pto file that I edited. I'm using this single .pto file to modify all of my images because the loop feeds each filename to the .pto file.

- 1 HOUR, 4 minutes to create 6,711 corrected JPG images
- Images are all 2250x1362. I prefer to crop in Premiere, not Hugin

3. Use FFmpeg to combine the corrected images back into a movie:

ffmpeg -framerate 59.94 -i out-%05d.jpg -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 16 output.mp4

- 8 minutes to create output.mp4
- These settings give me the original framerate, and high quality output

output.mp4:
- 2250x1362p 59.94fps
- file size is 703.6 MB
- quality looks good!

CONCLUSION:

The total time to do the conversion with my 2 minute clip = 1 hour, 33 minutes using PNG images, or 1 hour, 14 minutes using JPG images.

Hugin gives me complete control over the projection and I can do exactly what I want.

The downsides to method are:
- My test clip was less than 2 minutes. Imagine the space you need for a 10 minute clip.
- The images are re-compressed multiple times. Even if you start with PNG images, they are compressed once by Hugin, and again by FFmpeg when merging the images back to video. I know I could have Hugin output PNGs but then I would need at least 60 GB just to process 2 minutes of footage!

Don't get me wrong, the final video quality is VERY GOOD!

But, I can do almost the same thing in Photoshop CS6 with fewer steps and no folders with thousands of files.

The downsides to using Photoshop are:
- It takes just over 2 hours to process the same 2 minute clip.
- I have much less control than I have with Hugin. I can get close but not exactly what I want.

My feeling is- There HAS to be a better, more efficient way to do this.

David W. Jones

Jul 13, 2016, 1:38:51 AM7/13/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 07/12/2016 01:01 PM, Robert Giordano wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips!! I'm going to
> describe my procedure and test results in detail for the benefit of
> people reading this post in the future.
>
> Here's my current setup:
>
> _*Computer: *_
> Macbook PRO 2.3 GHz i7
> OS X 10.9.5

How much memory and disk space?

> _*Test Video:*_
> clip0076.mov
> - 1080p 59.94fps
> - movie is approx. 1 min 52 sec, 6,711 total frames
> - file size is 419.9 MB
>

> I'm using Hugin 2014.0.0 installed in /Applications/Hugin
>
> I created a file named "hugin" in my paths.d folder with these paths:
> /Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS
> /Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/Resources
> /Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/Resources/HuginStitchProject.app/Contents/MacOS
>
> This lets me run nona from the command line without having to type the
> full path
>
> I installed FFmpeg using Homebrew:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MacOSX
>

> _*TEST RESULTS:*_
> _*CONCLUSION:
>
> *_The total time to do the conversion with my 2 minute clip = 1 hour, 33
> minutes using PNG images, or 1 hour, 14 minutes using JPG images.
>
> Hugin gives me complete control over the projection and I can do exactly
> what I want.
>
> The downsides to method are:
> - My test clip was less than 2 minutes. Imagine the space you need for a
> 10 minute clip.
> - The images are re-compressed multiple times. Even if you start with
> PNG images, they are compressed once by Hugin, and again by FFmpeg when
> merging the images back to video. I know I could have Hugin output PNGs
> but then I would need at least 60 GB just to process 2 minutes of footage!
>
> Don't get me wrong, the final video quality is VERY GOOD!
>
> But, I can do almost the same thing in Photoshop CS6 with fewer steps
> and no folders with thousands of files.

Only cuz PS is doing essentially the same thing in memory.

> The downsides to using Photoshop are:
> - It takes just over 2 hours to process the same 2 minute clip.
> - I have much less control than I have with Hugin. I can get close but
> not exactly what I want.
>
> My feeling is- There HAS to be a better, more efficient way to do this.

Thanks for the info, interesting steps and process. Not being a fan of
Adobe products in general but being a fan of quality, I'd prefer the PNG
> Hugin > PNG > ffmpeg.

Only 60GB for 2 minutes? Hate to tell you this, but video takes a lot of
space. My budget laptop here has a 750GB hard drive. Most laptops now
come with 1TB. So 60GB doesn't seem like much. Backups of my current
home folder (I run Linux) are about 60GB ... without any videos or MP3s
in it. But maybe I'm just weird.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

bugbear

Jul 13, 2016, 3:57:53 AM7/13/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Robert Giordano wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips!! I'm going to describe my procedure and test results in detail for the benefit of people reading this post in the future.

Excellent write up. Thank you. May the Karma be returned.

BugBear

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 13, 2016, 10:07:45 AM7/13/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com