Hugin 2015.0.0 crashes in Windows 10.

Henk Tijdink

Aug 9, 2015, 6:34:25 AM8/9/15
I upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit.
Now I found that Hugin 2015.0.0 crashes when clicking in the help menu on the following items.

1 Help  F1
2 Keyboard shortcuts
3 Frequent asked questions.

Hugin closes and I get a message if they found a solution.

Tested it with Hugin 2014. The same happens.
Tested it with Hugin 2013. Everything is OK.

Creating pano's works as far as I've tested.
On windows 7 64 bits everything worked OK.

Seems a compatibility problem from Hugin with Windows 10.
Found further that Hugin 2013 hardly has no *.dll files in the binary folder, but since version 2014 a lot.
Could that be the cause or a clue for the problem?
Have other people with Windows 10 that problem too?

Kind regards,
Henk Tijdink

Harry van der Wolf

Aug 9, 2015, 6:56:07 AM8/9/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I'm still on windows 7 as I wanted to build Hugin in an "old, stable, trusted" environment.

If you used the installer (or the 7zip) you will find inside your hugin folder the share folder. Go down to "share\hugin\xrc\data". In there you will find the "hugin_help_en_EN.chm" help file. That's the help file in windows help format. If you double-click that file from the file manager, does it open or do you get an error as well?

Secondly: Is your hugin set to English or Dutch (or some other language)? If it is not set to English, can you do that from the preferences, restart hugin, and try one more time to open the help from the menu?

The Hugin 2014 and 2015 on windows are built in shared mode. The 2013 and older are built as static versions.

Harry

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Henk Tijdink

Aug 9, 2015, 1:28:57 PM8/9/15
Hello Harry

Opened the folder that you mentioned and started  "hugin_help_en_EN.chm" help file.
Then I've access to the help file and can read it and have access to all functions of the help file in WINDOWS 10.

I've set the languages to Dutch and English, but opening the help file from the Hugin menu crashes Hugin in both languages.
I'm wondering if other people who upgraded to WINDOWS 10 have the same problem, or is it something with my system?

Kind regards,
Henk

Maarten Labeeuw

Oct 16, 2015, 2:02:09 PM10/16/15
Hi all,

I can confirm this issue on a Windows10 64-bit system.

Roger Broadie

Oct 17, 2015, 2:28:19 PM10/17/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - it might have been more helpful to have reported the following
earlier.

I'm running under 64-bit Windows 8.1 and get the problem of Hugin's
crashing when I try to invoke the Help function in both the 2014 and the
2015 versions of Hugin.

I can't remember how I installed the 2014 version - probably with the
exe installer. I installed the 2015 version from the 7zip file.

For both, the Help file hugin_help_en_EN.chm is exactly where Harry
explained, i.e. in the folder ...\share\hugin\xrc\data. Both help files
open satisfactorily from File Explorer. I have not changed the language
from its default of English.

Roge Broadie
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/9d245a8c-f73e-45d4-bb4d-17628986d2ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

T. Modes

Oct 18, 2015, 4:03:56 AM10/18/15
This is a bug in the underlying library wxWidgets.

I committed at least a workaround for the normal Help (Help>Keyboard shortcuts and FAQ are still crashing.)
Hopefully this is fixed upstreams soon.

Otherwise, when it takes so long before someone reported the bug, it can't be so critical.

T. Modes

Oct 27, 2015, 4:37:03 PM10/27/15

Am Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 10:03:56 UTC+2 schrieb T. Modes:
This is a bug in the underlying library wxWidgets.

I committed at least a workaround for the normal Help (Help>Keyboard shortcuts and FAQ are still crashing.)
Hopefully this is fixed upstreams soon.

it seems it takes longer to fix upstreams. So I implemented a workaround. All help commands should now work again on Win8/10 64 bit.

Tom Sharpless

Nov 1, 2015, 6:00:08 PM11/1/15
I did not experience the help bug as such, but on my Win10 system Hugin 2015.0.0 (the distro build, by Harry) has completely stopped working, under suspicious circumstances.  I have been debugging a helper app for stitching stereo pairs, which generates new project files, and of course some of them are unusual.  After trying for a while to align one of those, I closed Hugin, and now whenever I open it I am immediately asked to forward an xml error report to the developers -- which I have done once.

Jan Kijlstra

Mar 22, 2016, 5:55:21 AM3/22/16
I too encountered this problem.