Hugin crash for large input image

John Eklund

Jul 20, 2017, 6:30:25 PM7/20/17
I'm trying to stitch two large input images (27333 * 29633 and 27071 * 17489 pixels, respectively), and Hugin 2015.0 as well as 2017.0 crashes when I try to interact with the larger image, for example when going to the control points tab and selecting the image. Any ideas? (Stitching an old and new map).

hugin.xml
hugin.dmp

T. Modes

Jul 21, 2017, 12:57:31 PM7/21/17

Am Freitag, 21. Juli 2017 00:30:25 UTC+2 schrieb John Eklund:
I'm trying to stitch two large input images (27333 * 29633 and 27071 * 17489 pixels, respectively), and Hugin 2015.0 as well as 2017.0 crashes when I try to interact with the larger image, for example when going to the control points tab and selecting the image. Any ideas?

Probably set the zoom factor to >100 %?
The controls in the GUI can only display images up to 32767x32767 - inclusive the zoom factor. (The command line tools should also work with bigger images, but the window controls are limited to this size.)

John Eklund

Jul 29, 2017, 8:04:51 PM7/29/17
No, it crashes even with zoom factor 100% or below.

The 32767x32767 limit you mention should manifest itself with images of 16384 pixels in either direction, when using a zoom fator of 200% - and it does, displaying a blank image. So that seems not to be the issue here.

mh00h

Aug 1, 2017, 7:45:37 PM8/1/17
You could try using command line tools directly?

Feel free to PM me if you need help with this.

John Eklund

Aug 1, 2017, 8:31:06 PM8/1/17
I already solved it by cutting the images in two. I was just meaning to report a bug, hoping the developers read. And the bug remains.
I'm on Windows 7 by the way.

I regularly use some of the command line tools. In this case I was stitching an old map with a new map and had to create control points manually.

T. Modes

Aug 2, 2017, 11:09:27 AM8/2/17

Am Mittwoch, 2. August 2017 02:31:06 UTC+2 schrieb John Eklund:
I already solved it by cutting the images in two. I was just meaning to report a bug, hoping the developers read. And the bug remains.

I have read it. But I can't reproduce it.
And the stack trace indicates that it crashes in wxImage::ResampleNearest + wxImage::Scale. But this does not match your statement that it crashes at 100 % scale, because at 100 % scale wxImage::Scale is not called. So with this conflicting statement I can't do more at the moment.

John Eklund

Aug 3, 2017, 4:37:11 PM8/3/17
It seems a bit unpredictable. Sometimes it does not crash immediately. I tried a couple of scenarios (both starting from a fresh started empty Hugin project)

Use case 1:

1. Added problematic large image (27333 * 29633).
2. Went to Control Point tab. (Zoom pre-set to "Fit to window"). Crash! Dump included.

Use case 2:

1. Added smaller image (22287 * 16000).
2. Went to Control Point tab. Set zoom 50%.
3. Added problematic large image (27333 * 29633).
4. Went to Control Point tab. Changed zoom to 75%. Still works but the bottom ~ 1/7 of the image is garbled (see image).
5. Changed to 100%. Crash! In this case the crash handler doesn't catch it so I got no dump. (Repeated this twice with the same result).
hugin_27333x29633_image_garbled.jpg
hugin.dmp
hugin.xml

John Eklund

Aug 3, 2017, 4:39:52 PM8/3/17
Use case 3: (started fresh with empty project)

1. Added smaller image (22287 * 16000).
2. Went to Control Point tab. Set zoom 50%.
3. File --> New project (just to get zoom to remain at 50%).
4. Added problematic large image (27333 * 29633).
5. Went to Control Point tab (Zoom still at 50%). No image visible, only grey / white background.
6. Change zoom to 75%. Crash! Dump included.
hugin.dmp
hugin.xml

T. Modes

Aug 4, 2017, 1:25:11 PM8/4/17

Am Donnerstag, 3. August 2017 22:39:52 UTC+2 schrieb John Eklund:
Use case 3: (started fresh with empty project)

1. Added smaller image (22287 * 16000).
2. Went to Control Point tab. Set zoom 50%.
3. File --> New project (just to get zoom to remain at 50%).
4. Added problematic large image (27333 * 29633).
5. Went to Control Point tab (Zoom still at 50%). No image visible, only grey / white background.
6. Change zoom to 75%. Crash! Dump included.

All stack traces show the crash in a wxWidgets function (wxImage::ResampleNearest called from wxImage::Scale).
I will investigate this further (but it will take some time and in the next days I have no spare time.)