Panorama preview after aligning doesn't look right

Josh Meisels

Sep 5, 2016, 1:24:46 PM9/5/16
I've been using the 2015 version of Hugin for a while and I love it. Thank you so much for making a great free and open source GUI for building panoramas. I'm an amateur outdoor photographer and I recently took a series of outdoor panoramas using a Micro 4/3 camera (Olympus E-M10). All photos are shot on manual mode to ensure the same aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, but they are all handheld. Photos are overlapped in two dimensions (i.e. I have 2-3 rows of several photos each to get a larger field of view). I edit the photos in Lightroom and use the same settings for each one. I am using the simple interface in Hugin.

Yesterday, after stitching one of several panoramas from a recent trip I updated from the 2015 release to the newer 2016.0.0 release. Now when I try to stitch a panorama, even with the exact same photos I used hours before, the preview is completely warped. I found a similar issue was posted here, and the suggestion was to use the move/drag tab to straighten out the image. This works, but I'm confused why this wasn't done automatically as it was in the 2015 release. I'd love to see that optimization done for future releases, or provide a setting to turn that on.

Thanks!
Josh