360° panoramas not recognised by Assistant?

Mike Cowlishaw

Apr 21, 2018, 12:56:41 PM4/21/18

I've been using Hugin for some years now, with excellent results -- and now I almost always use the Assistant; perhaps I have become lazy :-).

Recently, I have been taking panoramas with the Mavic Pro (this takes 34 images that covers a downwards hemisphere plus up to about 20° above the horizon).

To date, I have not been able to get Hugin to make sense of them -- I've tried Assistant and also some older settings that I have recorded.   I have downloaded the latest 2018 Hugin. In Assistant, the 'globe' after loading images is mostly black with flashes of white.  I suspect I have some older setting recorded that is messing things up.

Any ideas?  Link to the images I'm using (captured yesterday) is: http://speleotrove.com/misc/MFC-20180418-pan.zip.   OS is Win7-64-bit.

Mike

T. Modes

Apr 21, 2018, 1:36:40 PM4/21/18

Am Samstag, 21. April 2018 18:56:41 UTC+2 schrieb Mike Cowlishaw:
To date, I have not been able to get Hugin to make sense of them -- I've tried Assistant and also some older settings that I have recorded.

No idea whats wrong. The example images work fine with the assistant. Attached my result: only loaded images and run assistant.
Maybe your lens database is messed up. See FAQ https://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ#After_adding_an_image_the_focal_length_is_another_value_than_the_EXIF_value how to fix this (maybe simply deleting the lens database file).
The result can be further improved when you masked out the black areas which covers nearly half of same images.

  In Assistant, the 'globe' after loading images is mostly black with flashes of white.
 The causes for this are the exposure time in the images. They range from 1/13 to 1/4115 s (with the same aperture of f/2.2). Looking at the images this is not realistic. After running the assistant the exposure values range from 11.7 to 12.0.
So the exposure times in the EXIF metadata are not plausible. (But the assistant can handle this).

MFC-20180418-01-MFC-20180418-34.pto

Mike Cowlishaw

Apr 24, 2018, 10:04:33 AM4/24/18
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Very many thanks investigating this and for the reply ... yes I also have noticed that the exposure times reported in the JPGs by DJI are often implausible, and they have many bugs in that area!

Anyway, given your comments on database, etc., I uninstalled and re-installed Hugin, and this time I did get a decent panorama.

Uncropped copy attached [actually not .. gmail bounced my e-mail -- if interested let me know and I'll put it on my website for you to download].

The stitching is much worse than usual for Hugin (check out the white rails) -- but MS-ICE and DJI-MM were worse.  Maybe a good testcase!

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Gerhard Rauth

Jul 22, 2018, 12:32:33 PM7/22/18
Mike,

I started with 360° panos after I had my bought my Mavic pro. Before I stiched my panos right away in Lightroom. It took my long until I got a good result in Hugin. (Tested PTGui but I had the same issues with that app.)

After I changes my workflow I got good results. I take the images not in landscape mode and have turned the camera to portrait. Since the Mavic does the pano in a Z style, I start with the middel row to import them normal. Let find it control point and then I start to import the pictures from the upper row in reverse order (or I rearrange them in Hugin). Then I let Hugin find control points and at last I do the same (reversed order) with the lower line. At the end I add my ground pictures.

Hope this helps you.

Gerhard

Mike Cowlishaw

Jul 22, 2018, 12:40:47 PM7/22/18
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Gerhard, many thanks.  I'll give that a try.   At the moment I'm using MS ICE with good results (and have written a viewer to view the result).

Mike