Reading pictures from 360° cameras

Hadmut

Sep 18, 2017, 5:54:38 AM9/18/17

I've used hugin to stitch panoramic pictures from my regular camera so far.

Now I just got a 360° camera (Xiaomi Mi Sphere) and found that if taking pictures it does not stitch them but stores them as 6912x3456 JPEGs , consisting of two quadratic 3456x3456 circular fisheye pictures from the front and the back camera.

I guess it's easy to cut them into two separate files with a script and feed them to hugin, but is there a way that hugin would take them directly without intermediate processing?

If not: Wouldn't it make sense to add a new lens type for that? In the web I have seen similar side-by-side pictures from other cameras.

regards
Hadmut

Bruno Postle

Sep 18, 2017, 9:46:34 AM9/18/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can stitch these files in Hugin using existing features.

The trick is to load the file twice into the project (yes this works)
and use the crop tool in the Mask tab to exclude the data you don't
want from each. You will also need to optimise the d,e parameters
separately as the optical centres will be a long distance from the
centre of the image.

There is an example here (but with four fisheyes):
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/hugin-ptx/sSTJ4PTOloQ/discussion

--
Bruno

On 18 September 2017 at 10:54, 'Hadmut' via hugin and other free

Hadmut

Sep 18, 2017, 11:00:02 AM9/18/17

Am Montag, 18. September 2017 15:46:34 UTC+2 schrieb Bruno Postle:
Yes, you can stitch these files in Hugin using existing features.

The trick is to

There's always tricks, and workarounds, and manual interaction. But then it's easier to have a script that splits the image instead of mousework.

I would prefer to just read it straight on and have the software do this work.

Sean Greenslade

Sep 18, 2017, 1:27:14 PM9/18/17
The nice thing is that once you have a working .pto, you can reuse it for every photo you take with that camera. You only need to do that work once.

--Sean

Bruno Postle

Sep 18, 2017, 3:21:22 PM9/18/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I think maybe you misread something here? Hugin deals with this
situation perfectly, however you do have to be aware that Hugin can
use the same input file multiple times in a single project, once you
know this the procedure is straightforward.

--
Bruno