Looking for tutorial on making a 3-D image of an object.

Mark Phillips

Apr 22, 2015, 11:41:04 AM4/22/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for a tutorial on how to make a 3-D image of an object from 2-D photos. I have searched the Interent and I only find references to Hugin and panoramas.

I don't think this is the same as a panorama, as a panorama is a 360 degree view with the camera rotating on the vertical axis. Instead, I want the object to be stationary, and to be able to "walk around" the object to see all the sides.

Can Hugin do this, or is there another piece of software that can accomplish this task? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark

Monkey

Apr 22, 2015, 12:07:38 PM4/22/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You could look into Photosynth:

http://photosynth.net/

It doesn't actually build 3D models but it may be of interest.

Jim Watters

Apr 22, 2015, 12:27:32 PM4/22/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-04-22 12:40 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I am looking for a tutorial on how to make a 3-D image of an object from 2-D
> photos.
> Mark
Have a look at Object2VR. It provides tools to shoot the ObjectVR and publish
the results.
https://ggnome.com/object2vr

Full disclosure; I work for GardenGnomeSoftware.

--
Jim Watters
http://photocreations.ca

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 22, 2015, 3:30:03 PM4/22/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Another option is krpano (http://krpano.com/examples/objects/), that is also capable of publishing the final pictures, that could, indeed, be aligned with Hugin, but much probably using manual control points and generating remapped images as frames - a non usual workflow.

Bests,

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Terry Duell

Apr 22, 2015, 6:11:00 PM4/22/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 01:40:39 +1000, Mark Phillips <ma...@phillipsoasis.com>
wrote:
Hugin can't do this. The best I have seen is the 'structure from motion'
stuff, one of the implementaions being 'vsfm'.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

David Haberthür

Apr 23, 2015, 3:57:04 AM4/23/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Mark.

> I am looking for a tutorial on how to make a 3-D image of an object from 2-D photos. I have searched the Interent and I only find references to Hugin and panoramas.
>
> I don't think this is the same as a panorama, as a panorama is a 360 degree view with the camera rotating on the vertical axis. Instead, I want the object to be stationary, and to be able to "walk around" the object to see all the sides.

You might get some quick results with http://www.123dapp.com/catch

David

signature.asc

John Muccigrosso

Apr 24, 2015, 10:44:24 AM4/24/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Agisoft's Panoscan is probably the leading product for this. http://agisoft.com/

Cartola

May 18, 2015, 7:04:56 PM5/18/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
For an opensource alternative: http://insight3d.sourceforge.net/

Someone have posted this recently on this list :)