hugin on El Capitan and older versions

Darwin Alonso

Jun 11, 2017, 2:56:07 PM6/11/17

Hugin 2016.2.0 seems to behaving inconsistently for me on a MacBook El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6). Some panoramas just work. Others with apparently  similar overlap refuse to align. They give the can't find control points error.  I can't get it to use control points that I add manually. It has an easier time with photos taken with my Lumix than those taken with a Motorola Android.   I admit to being confused by the two modes (separate windows) it launches.

(1) I was going to down load 2015 and try that, but I can't find it. Please, is/here is that dmg file?   Hugin 2017 will not run under 10.11.16, but I'll see if I can dig up a Sierra machine to try that.

(2) Any pointers for getting it align manually?

Thanks to the developers for the software.
Darwin

Darwin Alonso

Jun 11, 2017, 6:42:32 PM6/11/17

I was able to make it do what I wanted using Mac OS Sierra and Hugin-2017.0.

I'm still confused as heck about:
 * does the order that I list the image files for import matter, i.e. does it assume ordered L->R or R->L
 * can I move the images around if align doesn't pick up the correct left to right order
 * with 2016, I could never get align to work with certain sets of images, even if they aligned with 2017.
 * Is there a simple howto for the Panorama Editor? My strategy was: (I pick pair of control points with cross hairs, add) repeat.  Then I tried the stitch command. But I wasn't successful with 2016.

Thanks
Darwin

Carl von Einem

Jun 12, 2017, 4:20:21 AM6/12/17
to hugin-ptx group
Hugin has a really nice help available from the menu. There you will find lots of information about the user interface etc.

Image file order is not important but try to sort images in a way so that you have some overlap between two following images.

With the Control Points tab as frontmost window show the help file that explains how to manually add CPs.

In the preview window you can move
/drag the whole panorama or even single images to the desired place. There is also a center button which works for partial panoramas.

If your project fails at one point describe the steps you did and also send the .pto and the log file so we can have a look at it.

Cheers,
Carl

Am 12.06.17 um 00:42 schrieb Darwin Alonso
> --
>
> A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
>
> ---

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/70969340-c8ae-4a07-9c47-022a4d909f47%40googlegroups.com.

Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz

Jun 12, 2017, 8:24:35 AM6/12/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

   I would also add the fact that simply adding control points, whether manually whether automatically, is not enough for stitching: it is required a geometric optimization in order to position each photo where due.
   Also, check what is the user interface you are using. If it is "expert" or "advanced" you have to optimize; if it is "simple" (perhaps "automatic", the first option in the list) but you had to add control points yourself, the automatic optimization that would happen will not start, you will start it - after creating enough control points.

   So, see the help as Carl told you, the tutorials at http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/index.shtml, and you will know what is happening and how to use Hugin successfully in all situations.

   So... good panoramas!

   regards,

   Luís Henrique

A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Niklas Mischkulnig

Jun 12, 2017, 10:42:32 AM6/12/17
(1) I was going to down load 2015 and try that, but I can't find it. Please, is/here is that dmg file?   Hugin 2017 will not run under 10.11.16, but I'll see if I can dig up a Sierra machine to try that.

There was no Hugin 2015 for Mac, as there was no one to build it (https://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/ lists all Hugin versions with the corresponding files).

I'm currently rebuilding Hugin 2017, something went wrong with the current build, 10.9+ is "officially" supported. In a few minutes there will be a link in the main thread Hugin 2017.0 rc1 released .

Niklas

Darwin Alonso

Jun 14, 2017, 7:37:01 PM6/14/17

With his one image, it's still failing.
Is there anything obvious in the log file to explain it?

(I shrunk the images to save space)

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 11:56:07 AM UTC-7, Darwin Alonso wrote:
IMG_20170530_152753997 - IMG_20170530_152757770.log
IMG_20170530_152757770s.jpg
IMG_20170530_152753997s.jpg
IMG_20170530_152753997-IMG_20170530_152757770s.jpg

T. Modes

Jun 15, 2017, 12:39:34 PM6/15/17

Am Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017 01:37:01 UTC+2 schrieb Darwin Alonso:

With his one image, it's still failing.
Is there anything obvious in the log file to explain it?

Yes. The hfov is way too big:
First input image
Number: 0
Filename: /Users/ME/Pictures/2017-05-21-Adak/full/IMG_20170530_152753997.jpg
Size: 2560x1440
Projection: Normal (rectilinear)
Response type: custom (EMoR)
HFOV: 165

Also I don't know if all control points are ok. This is not visible from the tiny images. This can be visible in the pto file.
But I would recommend to set a reasonable HFOV and try again. I assume then also cpfind will work again.

Niklas Mischkulnig

Jun 16, 2017, 4:56:45 AM6/16/17
Just as a sidenote: if you have two Hugin versions somewhere on your computer, i.e. 2016 and 2017,
then it is quite likely that Hugin 2017 will use PTBatcher 2016 if you ran the old PTBatcher before.

Niklas