The best way to stitch for x/y movement (no rotation in any dimension). Folder based action?

derin k

Apr 2, 2017, 4:34:00 PM4/2/17
Hello All,
What would be the best way to use hugin (open to alternatives) to stitch shots made by shifting the back of the camera? I'd be happy to share some change if someone could help me with a little script that takes all images in a folder and stitches them while limiting movement to x-y only, and with options to blend/balance or not. In a perfect world they would be alpha masked layered tiffs.

best,

Carl von Einem

Apr 3, 2017, 5:49:18 AM4/3/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derin,
can you describe your project a little bit better? Is it a long wall
with e.g. a graffiti on it (mural, mosaic)? Do you want to stitch photos
shot from a an airplane? Or is it a large view camera with a shifting
back (or a set of photos taken with a shift lens)?

Did you already have a look at the tutorials section on
<http://hugin.sf.net/>?

Carl

derin k

Apr 6, 2017, 5:39:13 PM4/6/17
to hugin and other free panoramic software, ei...@gmx.de
Hello Carl,
Sorry I just saw your email, I looked through the tutorials but got confused as to which one to start with, and am a bit short of time on a project.
These are normal photos of architecture, but since I am moving the camera back only, there will be no perspective shift or rotation in the images, I will just be moving the sensor within the image circle.

best,

Erik Krause

Apr 8, 2017, 1:31:31 PM4/8/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 06.04.2017 um 23:39 schrieb derin k:
> These are normal photos of architecture, but since I am moving the camera
> back only, there will be no perspective shift or rotation in the images, I
> will just be moving the sensor within the image circle.

Did you do that with a fixed lens and shifting the back, or did you use
a fixed camera and shifted the lens? In the second case there is a
possibility of parallax errors, since you actually moved the entrance
pupil. In the first case you should be able to stitch them perfectly
with any image editor that supports layers. If you still want to use
hugin: it's the same process as outlined here:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml

In general it is far better to use a well adjusted panoramic tripod head
and rotate the camera with a normal lens. hugin can do a perfect
geometrical simulation of a shift lens. What it can't simulate is the
depth of field, though.

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Derin Korman

Apr 8, 2017, 1:47:44 PM4/8/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I used a fixed lens, only shifted the back, as you mentioned, we can't fake depth of field, and at my print size, any transformation caused too much resolution loss. Which brings us back to the first issue, I need something that I can tell to only move images in the xy without pitch, yaw or rotation.

Photoshop blends bizarrely especially around straight verticals like poles, missing alignment completely at times if there are similar features on either side. Hugin and ptgui will try to compensate for pitch yaw and roll, and sometimes do so for miniscule amounts which again hurt resolution at 400mp (4 to 6 images).

Lastly, I was really hoping I could script it so that it just eats a folder of images and puts it in a subfolder when I double click. I can send a small donation if someone could help me with it.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Carl von Einem

Apr 9, 2017, 8:47:50 AM4/9/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Do you really need to blend the images?

So whats the problem if you just extend the canvas in Photoshop and
manually move the layers? Is it a lack of pixel accuracy or do you need
to correct vignetting?

If you want to just "shift" your images in Hugin without altering yaw,
pitch and roll you need to switch to expert mode and look into the
translation technique.

See <http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_a_photo-mosaic>

There is also a tutorial:
<http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/Mosaic-mode/en.shtml>

Does that work for you?
> <mailto:hugin-ptx%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> --
> http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CADV1Tqh%3DtCQME0-ODxrkczE%2BGV-JLsN3bgukv8nvmQVmjx-zFQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CADV1Tqh%3DtCQME0-ODxrkczE%2BGV-JLsN3bgukv8nvmQVmjx-zFQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Derin Korman

Apr 9, 2017, 8:51:49 AM4/9/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I mainly need it to be scripted and fast without a gui to fiddle with so I can shoot tethered and   drop tiffs into a folder to see the result before moving on. Also, I do need to blend because natural light changes things, there is also lens cast corrections being applied that can create miniscule differences. So original question stands, script to parse images in same folder to stich and blend while limiting to xy.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/58EA2D6B.2050202%40gmx.de.

T. Modes

Apr 9, 2017, 9:47:09 AM4/9/17

Am Sonntag, 9. April 2017 14:51:49 UTC+2 schrieb derin k:

I mainly need it to be scripted and fast without a gui to fiddle with so I can shoot tethered and

<snip>

So original question stands, script to parse images in same folder to stich and blend while limiting to xy.

Sorry, but it does not work this way. You can't expect from someone to write a script for you for a problem which is only roughly described without the necessary detail information.

I see 2 possibilities in Hugin, from what you described until now:
a) optimize only lens center shift d and e,
or
b) optimize the translation parameters x and y (maybe also z, as proposed by zarl).

So the first step is to do to manually in the GUI to develop a workflow (which steps are necessary, with which parameters, …).
When you have done it in the GUI and you are satisfied with the result, you can translate these steps into a script. (But this is the second step, not the first.)
When you describe what you do in the GUI, we can help you to translate it into a script.
Or you provide same sample images, so someone could try it self.

Derin Korman

Apr 9, 2017, 5:46:21 PM4/9/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Maybe there is a misunderstanding and we are missing each other in the dark. I'm asking for something specific and not roughly described. You put down a view/technical camera, in this case an ALPA XY with the tripod bolted to the front element. You move the back with the lens stationary to four corners within the image circle, you align the images and you blend them. The images are output from Capture One as tiff files. Naturally, there are exposure differences if you are working with natural light and they need to be blended. Is this really not pretty much standard stuff for hugin?

~d

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Carl von Einem

Apr 11, 2017, 12:10:06 PM4/11/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 09.04.17 23:45, Derin Korman wrote:
> Maybe there is a misunderstanding and we are missing each other in the
> dark. I'm asking for something specific and not roughly described. You
> put down a view/technical camera, in this case an ALPA XY with the
> tripod bolted to the front element. You move the back with the lens
> stationary to four corners within the image circle, you align the images
> and you blend them. The images are output from Capture One as tiff
> files. Naturally, there are exposure differences if you are working with
> natural light and they need to be blended. Is this really not pretty
> much standard stuff for hugin?

You miss to show examples and/or a .pto project file with a description
of the steps you already tried (and the platform you use as well as your
version of Hugin).

This is no list where you can order a service, and Hugin is no
commercial software. Did you have a look at the tutorials yet? We really
like to help people take the steps needed to get things done with Hugin
but you seem to look for a product like Microsoft ICE. BTW is that still
available or did MS already loose interest?

If Hugin's Assistant doesn't work for your project I'll take that as a
sign that this is indeed not a standard project.

Carl