new image stitching software

Forex Valdes

Jul 27, 2016, 12:01:09 PM7/27/16

Hi all

I am launching a new image stitching software. You can get it here http://molanisvr.com/78-molanis-vr/85-360-vr-image-stitching-download This version does not have any watermarks. It is fully functional.

I really appreciate any feedback that can help me make the software better.

Pls keep in mind It only works on windows 64 bits with NVidia cards (2-3 year old cards) and it only produces full 360 images in equirectrangular.

Thanks a lot for the help

Caro

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 27, 2016, 7:23:26 PM7/27/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 9:01:09 -0700, Forex Valdes wrote:

> I am launching a new image stitching software. You can get it here
> http://molanisvr.com/78-molanis-vr/85-360-vr-image-stitching-download This
> version does not have any watermarks. It is fully functional.
>
> I really appreciate any feedback that can help me make the software
> better.

Documentation? Before going to the trouble of finding a Microsoft
machine and installing the software, it would be nice to know how to
know what advantages it has over Hugin.

> Pls keep in mind It only works on windows 64 bits with NVidia cards
> (2-3 year old cards) and it only produces full 360 images in
> equirectrangular.

These are basically all restrictions compared to Hugin. But in
itself, these restrictions point to areas for future improvement.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger gr...@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

bugbear

Jul 28, 2016, 4:20:24 AM7/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Forex Valdes wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am launching a new image stitching software. You can get it here http://molanisvr.com/78-molanis-vr/85-360-vr-image-stitching-download This version does not have any watermarks. It is fully functional.

What problem, that Hugin does *not* solve, does your software solve?

BugBear

Harry van der Wolf

Jul 28, 2016, 5:05:34 AM7/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
As such I don't care that someone ceates another tool to do these kind of things.

What bothers me more is this: http://molanisvr.com/78-molanis-vr/76-360-vr-image-stitching-software

To me his now promoted software looks exactly like hugin. I assume (?) that mr. Valdes will act according all license obligations he has to prevent legal issues. The problem is that I can't find any reference to it.
Based on that screenshot(s) his software must contains parts of hugins code base.

Harry

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Erik Krause

Jul 28, 2016, 8:43:35 AM7/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 28.07.2016 um 11:05 schrieb Harry van der Wolf:
> What bothers me more is this:
> http://molanisvr.com/78-molanis-vr/76-360-vr-image-stitching-software
>
> To me his now promoted software looks exactly like hugin. I assume (?) that
> mr. Valdes will act according all license obligations he has to prevent
> legal issues. The problem is that I can't find any reference to it.

... and hugin (established in 2003) looks exactly like PTGui
(established in 2000)...

-> http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/3658#msg3658
-> http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/13499#msg13499

--
Erik Krause

Yuval Levy

Jul 28, 2016, 9:15:21 AM7/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 16-07-28 05:05 AM, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
> What bothers me more is this:
> http://molanisvr.com/78-molanis-vr/76-360-vr-image-stitching-software
>
> To me his now promoted software looks exactly like hugin. I assume (?) that
> mr. Valdes will act according all license obligations he has to prevent
> legal issues. The problem is that I can't find any reference to it.
> Based on that screenshot(s) his software must contains parts of hugins code
> base.

Mr. Molano is a resident of Ontario, Canada. As an Ontario lawyer and
as a former contributor to the Hugin code base I can assist with GPL
compliance issues in Canada.

DISCLAIMER: the following is not legal advice. it does not create a
solicitor-client relationship. it is not based on the specific
circumstances of anyone. for legal advice and assistance, contact a lawyer.

"Looks exactly like" is not enough ground for a copyright violation
finding. Copyright protects the expression of ideas, not the ideas
themselves. If the software has been written completely from scratch,
it is not in violation.

If the software is found to be derived from Hugin, the GPL is triggered.
The GPL is generally permissive of commerce, so promoting and selling
the derivate would not be a violation either, *if* the source code is
distributed with the derivate. With the derivate does not mean to the
public. A person must receive the software to have the right to receive
the source code.

Anybody who receives software without source code and thinks it is
subject to the GPL can ask the distributor for the source code. If the
distributor provides the source code, GPL compliance is achieved.

If the distributor does not provide the source code, the next step is to
negotiate an opportunity to find if the software is derived from Hugin
or not. It is a facts based analysis, usually done under a
non-disclosure agreement preventing the analyst who gets access to the
distributor's source code from using what has been learned during the
analysis for any other purpose but compliance verification. Some
software vendors put their software in escrow with the analyst. A
software escrow agreement provides them with additional benefits beyond
a one-off compliance verification. Both non-disclosure agreements and
software escrow agreements are complex legal matters. Seek the advice
and assistance of a lawyer before signing one.

If negotiation does not solve the issue, the ultimate escalation is a
copyright infringement action. It has to be brought by the copyright
holder, not the recipient of the alleged derivate. The recipient can
report the allegation to the copyright holder, and the copyright holder
can decide to take action. In Canada, the case would be heard in
Federal Court. A Canadian lawyer can represent any person in Federal Court.

Yuv

Matthew Petroff

Jul 28, 2016, 7:51:32 PM7/28/16
A quick look at the executable shows that the UI is built with Qt and the backend uses OpenCV, so it probably isn't using code from Hugin.

-Matthew