panorama of a moving train ...

s n

May 17, 2017, 1:51:25 AM5/17/17
Hi

How do I create a panorama of a collection of images of a moving train taken from a stationary camera  ?
As far as I understand this would be different than taking an images with a moving camera and stitching them together since in this case the camera automatically applies different types of distortions to attempt to make the image look right.
When the object moves and the camera is stationary, that may or may not be the case.

Could someone point me to some hugin examples of some thing like this ? My eventual goal is to automate this panoramization on a raspberry pi based system.

When I tried this on my own on my laptop, the align fails with errors like this
       Warning 2 unconnected image groups found:[0-1, 3-6], [2]

      Please create control points between unconnected images using the Control Points tab in the panorama editor.

      After adding the points, press the "Align" button again

I tried adding some control points between 0 and 1, 3 and 6. But I get the same error. I am not sure how to  create control points between the 2 groups 0-1, 3-6 and 2.

Even if I can resolve this issue of control points and manage to stitch the images, many problems are encountered. The stitching is bad. The seams don't align properly and so the final image looks like the images set next to each other and not actually stitched and blended properly. The seams are visible. An object that spans all the images is crooked from image to image and so on. Also some times, when I try to align, the images warp in a weird way that it is all totally messed up.

I am looking for examples where some one has stitched the images of a moving object into a single panoramic image and has the individual images downloadable so that one can download them and try it out following their instructions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Shyam

Bruno Postle

May 17, 2017, 1:57:35 AM5/17/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You could do this in Hugin, but have you tried TrainScanner?

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1610349@N20/

http://github.com/vitroid/TrainScanner

--
Bruno

Gunter Königsmann

May 17, 2017, 2:42:05 AM5/17/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
That should be nearly the same as stitching a mural. There are several tutorials about that. Basically you make sure that all control points are on the train and tell hugin that every picture has been taken with a different lens with​ the same parameters, but with a different position.

Kind regards,

  Gunter.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ