Hugin mosaic georeferencing with UAV GPS positions

Sara Venturi

Feb 14, 2015, 6:32:11 PM2/14/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I am using Hugin to create a mosaic of photos shot by a UAV. I have 60 photos organized in regular strips. The UAV flew at a constant height (70 m) on an area mostly flat. I have the necessity to georeference the mosaic obtained so I have to track the location of the shooting center in the mosaic. Hugin records these coordinates but I do not understand in which measurement unit ... how can I go back to the coordinates of the shooting centers in terms of pixels? I don't have control points so I have to georeference the mosaic using the UAV positions.

Thank you for any reply

Terry Duell

Feb 14, 2015, 11:13:54 PM2/14/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sara,
I don't know all of what is necessary to answer your question, but suspect
that the command line tool pano_trafo may be of assistance to you.
pano_trafo transforms image coordinates. You can provide a pair of image
coordinates (x,y) as input and it emits the corresponding panorama/mosaic
coordinates. Reverse transformation is also available.
If you know know the gps coordinates of the image centres, pano_trafo will
provide the corresponding coordinates in the mosaic, which should allow
you to georeference the mosaic, but there may be more to this than is
immediately obvious.
pano_trafo -h shows help.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Sara Venturi

Feb 15, 2015, 9:20:13 AM2/15/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your help, this function is just the one I need!

Alex Mandel

Feb 15, 2015, 2:41:45 PM2/15/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Great tip, I hadn't looked into that before but need it to.

Also you may want to check out this newish project
http://opendronemap.github.io/odm/

Which is specifically for this type of data processing.

Thanks,
Alex