Which distros have Hugin preinstalled ?

Caetano Veyssières

Dec 23, 2016, 9:06:34 AM12/23/16
I just installed OpenSuse Leap 42.2 KDE and it has Hugin installed by default. I don't find Hugin in KDE's list of applications, nor do I find it in the OpenSUSE 42.2 Features list (I didn't find an extensive list of all preinstalled applications).
I'm not yet sure I'll stick with OpenSUSE (Manjaro seems quite powerful and polished too), but knowing which distros have Hugin preinstalled (or which are more adapted for this program) would help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance.

Gnome Nomad

Dec 23, 2016, 1:16:26 PM12/23/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I run Debian. Doesn't install Hugin by default, but installing it is easy.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Gnome Nomad

Dec 23, 2016, 1:20:15 PM12/23/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I think most of the Hugin development work seems to be done on Ubuntu. At least the PPAs seem to get updated more frequently than Debian Testing (my version) or Experimental do.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Dec 27, 2016, 1:25:11 PM12/27/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I think most of the Hugin development work seems to be done on Ubuntu. At least the PPAs seem to get updated more frequently than Debian Testing (my version) or Experimental do.

I also have this point of view, although hugin also doesn't come pre-installed on Ubuntu or its variants. Some specific sidtros might have it, like those intented to graphic people, like Ubuntu Studio or ArtistX. I just think this is not a very good criteria for choosing a distro. I've already used ArtistX once and I really didn't like its standard iterface. Surely I can change it, but it would probably be a harder job thatn just installing Hugin once. My point is: be carefull to don't be stuck with a distro you don't like just for the convenience of not installing a software, which is made once.

I use Xubuntu and have easily installed Hugin using a PPA.

Cheers,

Gnome Nomad

Dec 27, 2016, 3:26:52 PM12/27/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Installing Hugin has been no more problem for me than installing any other software from the repository.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Caetano Veyssières

Dec 29, 2016, 7:18:52 AM12/29/16
Thanks. I've had quite many errors and crashes while using Hugin in Linux Mint 18.0 and all of them disappeared in OpenSUSE. In Mint I installed the latest stable release from the PPA if I recall, but maybe I did something wrong. Anyway I'll try OpenSUSE as it's said to be the best distro for KDE and I use several KDE apps and like the environment.

Caetano Veyssières

Jan 3, 2017, 10:56:16 AM1/3/17
Strangely when I reinstalled OpenSUSE, Hugin wasn't pre-installed. I have no idea why it was the first time.