Paid Hugin Help / Simple Job

Paul Greene

Jul 25, 2016, 6:56:44 PM7/25/16
Hello!

Hugin looks amazing but we've had a lot of trouble getting it to run / use it properly.

We have a simple 2 image warp we need done (one image to match the other) so we can composite them together manually in Photoshop.

Is there anyone here rocking Hugin up for what I believe to be a 15 min task?  Please email in...@flightav.com if so with your project rate.

Thank you very much!

~Paul Christopher Greene

Stefan Peter

Jul 26, 2016, 9:28:21 AM7/26/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul

On 25.07.2016 23:44, Paul Greene wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Hugin looks amazing but we've had a lot of trouble getting it to run /
> use it properly.

Have you tried the latest 2016.02 release candidate? What issues have
you run into? You may be aware that opensource projects depend on user
feedback in order to fix bugs and that reporting problems is not
perceived as criticism but as actually helpful.

> We have a simple 2 image warp we need done (one image to match the
> other) so we can composite them together manually in Photoshop.

There is no need to take out the big Hugin gun for such low hanging
fruits if you are willing to delve into the wonderful world of the
command line. Hugin does provide a command named align_image_stack that
does exactly what you want:

align_image_stack -p aligned_ name_of_your_input_files_here

You should be able to find out more by issuing the command
man align_image_stack

(Caveat: I'm not a Mac user and calling conventions and scope of
packaging may differ from the Linux environment I'm used to in the Mac
port. Other more savy Mac users will want to comment on this.)

> Is there anyone here rocking Hugin up for what I believe to be a 15 min
> task? Please email in...@flightav.com if so with your project rate.

I'm sure almost everyone on this mailing list is able to help you here,
but probably all of us would prefer to help you help yourself.

If you are in a pinch though, just drop a link to the images you need to
have aligned and someone surely will provide you with the aligned images.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 26, 2016, 1:47:41 PM7/26/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

If you are in a pinch though, just drop a link to the images you need to
have aligned and someone surely will provide you with the aligned images.

If you had done that at first time you would probably be with your result in hands by now :)

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360

Stefan Peter

Jul 26, 2016, 2:17:51 PM7/26/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

On 26.07.2016 19:47, Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola) wrote:

> <mailto:s_p...@swissonline.ch>>:
>
> If you are in a pinch though, just drop a link to the images you need to
> have aligned and someone surely will provide you with the aligned
> images.
>

> If you had done that at first time you would probably be with your
> result in hands by now :)

Please remember that this degree of helpfulness is not found normally in
non open sources environments. Judging from the fact that the OP offered
to pay money for a (probably) simple task, led me to believe that he is
not used to the spirit of open source projects. However, introducing
people used to closed source software to the open and sharing/caring
community of open source enthusiasts has to be done carefully in order
to prevent a cultural shock 8) Additionally, there may be copyright
issues with the images that prevent to OP to share them freely on a
public mailing list.

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 26, 2016, 8:38:29 PM7/26/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 at 15:28:14 +0200, Stefan Peter wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> On 25.07.2016 23:44, Paul Greene wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Hugin looks amazing but we've had a lot of trouble getting it to run /
>> use it properly.
>
> Have you tried the latest 2016.02 release candidate? What issues have
> you run into? You may be aware that opensource projects depend on user
> feedback in order to fix bugs and that reporting problems is not
> perceived as criticism but as actually helpful.
>
>> We have a simple 2 image warp we need done (one image to match the
>> other) so we can composite them together manually in Photoshop.
>
> There is no need to take out the big Hugin gun for such low hanging
> fruits if you are willing to delve into the wonderful world of the
> command line. Hugin does provide a command named align_image_stack that
> does exactly what you want:
>
> align_image_stack -p aligned_ name_of_your_input_files_here

I've corresponded privately with Christopher, and he sent me the
images. align_image_stack only works with almost perfectly aligned
images. These are anything but. They're taken from (marginally)
different perspectives and with different focal lengths.

I've managed to align them, sort of, using the method described in
http://www.lemis.com/grog/photography/aligning-with-Hugin.php , but
clearly only part of the image can align completely, and I'm still
waiting to hear which one that should be.

One issue I've run in to: cropping. If I crop the images to the size
of the smaller one, things work fine. Understandably, he wants
uncropped images, and somehow that doesn't work: I can't find a way to
produce an output image larger than the input. Does anybody have an
idea?

And sorry that I'm not pointing at the images; I'm not sure that
Christopher would want that.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger gr...@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

Terry Duell

Jul 26, 2016, 8:54:12 PM7/26/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Greg,

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:38:24 +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
<groo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One issue I've run in to: cropping. If I crop the images to the size
> of the smaller one, things work fine. Understandably, he wants
> uncropped images, and somehow that doesn't work: I can't find a way to
> produce an output image larger than the input. Does anybody have an
> idea?

A bit hard without the images.

> And sorry that I'm not pointing at the images; I'm not sure that
> Christopher would want that.

Who's Christopher?
I responded to Paul, but I guess they got your reponse first.
Hope you can sort it for them.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 26, 2016, 9:40:05 PM7/26/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 10:54:03 +1000, Terry Duell wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:38:24 +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
> <groo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> One issue I've run in to: cropping. If I crop the images to the size
>> of the smaller one, things work fine. Understandably, he wants
>> uncropped images, and somehow that doesn't work: I can't find a way to
>> produce an output image larger than the input. Does anybody have an
>> idea?
>
> A bit hard without the images.

Understood.

>> And sorry that I'm not pointing at the images; I'm not sure that
>> Christopher would want that.
>
> Who's Christopher?

The original poster. His email address says Paul Christopher, but he
signs himself Christopher.

> I responded to Paul, but I guess they got your reponse first. Hope
> you can sort it for them.

It seems that somebody else helped. A pity he didn't say how.
signature.asc

Terry Duell

Jul 27, 2016, 12:42:36 AM7/27/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Greg,

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:40:00 +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
<groo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 10:54:03 +1000, Terry Duell wrote:
>> Hello Greg,
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:38:24 +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
>> <groo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One issue I've run in to: cropping. If I crop the images to the size
>>> of the smaller one, things work fine. Understandably, he wants
>>> uncropped images, and somehow that doesn't work: I can't find a way to
>>> produce an output image larger than the input. Does anybody have an
>>> idea?
>>
>> A bit hard without the images.
>
> Understood.
>
>>> And sorry that I'm not pointing at the images; I'm not sure that
>>> Christopher would want that.
>>
>> Who's Christopher?
>
> The original poster. His email address says Paul Christopher, but he
> signs himself Christopher.

OK, I missed that.

>> I responded to Paul, but I guess they got your response first. Hope
>> you can sort it for them.
>
> It seems that somebody else helped. A pity he didn't say how.

Yes. It would be good etiquette to al least reply to those that did
respond to the initial call for help, and close the loop, so to speak, as
to how the problem was solved so it adds to the collective knowledge.

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jul 27, 2016, 12:56:59 AM7/27/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Agreed on all points. I've asked him, but received no reply. If he
does reply, I'll certainly share what information I'm allowed to.
signature.asc