Problems with stitching a GigaPano ...

jojaeger...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2017, 2:40:07 PM11/2/17
I'm trying to build a GigaPano 360°.

I have a perfect project file and can generate a Panorama out of it with small width (~6000*3000 pixels)
But i want to build it with full size 36092*18046pixels. (72 pictures with 16Bit Tiff)

I have to activate the "--fine-mask" option, so enblend will finish the work, otherwise i get the following error:
Enblend error: Mask is entirely black, but white image was not identified as redundant

But with this option, after 8 hours enblend stop working with a "out of memory" error

So now my question, is it possible to activate the image-cache option for enblend?

I also had another problem with the "--fine-mask":
Überblendung der Bilder…
enblend: warning: option "--fine-mask" combined with option "--primary-seam-generator=graphcut"
enblend: warning: incompatible with mask optimization,
enblend: note: defaulting to no optimization

My System:
Windows 10
RAM: 8GB
i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz
Nvidia GTX960M

Gunter Königsmann

Nov 2, 2017, 2:56:25 PM11/2/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
According to my Maxima On Android your output picture will already use up nearly 5 Gigabytes before compression. And I don't know if for stitching the image one "before" and one "after" version has to be kept and how much temporary data is needed for this process. Also I don't know if internally hugin uses more than 16 bits of depth in order to reduce rounding errors so I expect your stitching job to require at least double your RAM. But my guess might be entirely wrong.

Kind regards,

  Gunter

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

jojaeger...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2017, 3:20:52 PM11/2/17
Hi Gunter,
I also see, that the RAM could be to less.
But for this thing, it would be perfect, when i could activate image-cache option.

Best Regards,
Johannes
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hugin-ptx+...@googlegroups.com.

Sean Greenslade

Nov 2, 2017, 3:39:24 PM11/2/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 12:20:51PM -0700, jojaeger...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Gunter,
> I also see, that the RAM could be to less.
> But for this thing, it would be perfect, when i could activate image-cache
> option.
>
> Best Regards,
> Johannes

The image-cache feature was deprecated in 4.1 and removed in 4.2. But I
believe it was just a cache on the input images, so it wouldn't have
really helped in your scenario.

I think you have two options. One, add more RAM / switch to a machine
with more RAM. Or two, stitch smaller portions of the pano separately
and then merge them. You could try stitching a cubemap (6x rectilinear
cube faces) instead of a full equirect pano.

--Sean

jojaeger...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2017, 3:42:37 PM11/2/17
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I've readed just in the moment, that it is deprecated.

Exsample from Enblend:

Here the machine just have 2GB RAM and it works for a bigger solution.

Or is this a different version of enblend?

Gunter Königsmann

Nov 2, 2017, 4:45:21 PM11/2/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Image cache sounds like something that keeps entire images in memory so they can be accessed faster. What I am not sure is if enblend has a tile cache like the gimp that splits the image into tiles and acts only on as many tiles at a time as fit into the RAM.

In case that enblend wants to access the whole image all the time that doesn't help much. But... ... providing more swap memory either might slow down everything so much that it doesn't make sense to wait for stitching to end or it could cause stitching to be successful. No idea which of these is true for enblend, though.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Sean Greenslade

Nov 2, 2017, 7:20:10 PM11/2/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 12:42:36PM -0700, jojaeger...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> Yeah I've readed just in the moment, that it is deprecated.
>
> Exsample from Enblend:
> http://enblend.sourceforge.net/gigapixel.htm
>
> Here the machine just have 2GB RAM and it works for a bigger solution.
>
> Or is this a different version of enblend?

That article is apparently from 2004 and references version 2.0. I would
imagine there have been significant changes since then. Also, it uses
only 2 source images that contain solid rectangles of color. The seam
finder isn't gonna do much with those.

--Sean

David W. Jones

Nov 2, 2017, 8:09:25 PM11/2/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Many years ago, I produced a simple strip pano that covered about 10 miles of coastline with 6MP images. It resulted in a 768MB 16-bit TIFF. I stitched it on a Linux system with 2GB RAM and lots of swap space. It completed successfully but IIRC took 16 hours.

Nothing like the pano you're talking about here, but maybe an indication that it could be successful with enough swap space and time?

David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.

jojaeger...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2017, 3:39:06 AM11/3/17
This night hugin success the build process with no error.

One with a width of 20000
One with a width of 36336

But here you can see yourself, something went wrong:

Erik Krause

Nov 3, 2017, 6:14:23 AM11/3/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 02.11.2017 um 20:39 schrieb Sean Greenslade:
> Or two, stitch smaller portions of the pano separately
> and then merge them.

Try slicer: http://dativ.at/slicer/index.html

No idea whether this still works with current hugin...

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

David W. Jones

Nov 4, 2017, 1:12:01 AM11/4/17
to hugin-ptx
Wow, that's a major abstract/psychedlic blowup in middle of the 2nd
(larger) image.

I have no idea where it might come from. Anyone else?

Just out of curiousity ... was that 36336 pixel width set by Hugin
(using the Stitcher tab's "Calculate Optimal Width" button), or a width
you specified?

dkloi

Nov 4, 2017, 10:13:05 AM11/4/17
Try specifying nft as the seam generator instead of graph cut in the enblend options. I ran into problems where the default seam generation method was coming up with really bizarre seams, hence leading to weird results in the final stitch.

jojaeger...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2017, 5:01:45 AM11/5/17
Yeah this really looks like modern art :D
The size was calculated by hugin.

I have player around with the options:
For me the best setting is:

--pre-assemble --primary-seam-generator=nearest-feature-transform

No black holes & full size panorama

David W. Jones

Nov 5, 2017, 10:18:56 PM11/5/17
to hugin-ptx
Which version of enblend was that? I have enblend 4.2 on this laptop and
have never used either of those settings.

On 11/05/2017 12:01 AM, jojaeger...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah this really looks like modern art :D
> The size was calculated by hugin.
>
> I have player around with the options:
> For me the best setting is:
>
> --pre-assemble --primary-seam-generator=nearest-feature-transform
>
> No black holes & full size panorama
>
> Am Samstag, 4. November 2017 06:12:01 UTC+1 schrieb GnomeNomad:
>
> Wow, that's a major abstract/psychedlic blowup in middle of the 2nd
> (larger) image.
>
> I have no idea where it might come from. Anyone else?
>
> Just out of curiousity ... was that 36336 pixel width set by Hugin
> (using the Stitcher tab's "Calculate Optimal Width" button), or a width
> you specified?
>
> On 11/02/2017 09:39 PM, jojaeger...@gmail.com wrote:
> > This night hugin success the build process with no error.
> >
> > One with a width of 20000
> > One with a width of 36336
> >
> > But here you can see yourself, something went wrong:
> > www.dropbox.com/s/bjswqcl2s4nurg2/20k_36k.png?dl=0

jojaeger...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2017, 1:47:30 AM11/6/17
I use also version 4.2

This night I will try again a run without parameters

Emad ud din Bhatt

Nov 28, 2017, 11:51:23 PM11/28/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Following this thread. I have raised this issue many times that hugin cant stitch high res and gigapixel images. Lets c if you people can help me out as well :)

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 11:47 AM, <jojaeger...@gmail.com> wrote:
I use also version 4.2

This night I will try again a run without parameters
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Terry Duell

Nov 29, 2017, 12:23:52 AM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Emaad,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 15:51:17 +1100, Emad ud din Bhatt <xyz...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Following this thread. I have raised this issue many times that hugin
> cant stitch high res and gigapixel images. Lets c if you people can help
> me out as well :)

I assume you mean a gigapixel pano, rather than 'stitch gigapixel images'.

A couple of questions...
Just what sort of problems have you been encountering?
What do you mean by high res images? i.e. what size?

One approach to stitch very large projects is to split your project up
into sub-projects, stitch each, then stitch the sub-panos.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Emad ud din Bhatt

Nov 29, 2017, 1:03:54 AM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

Yes i am referring to gigapixel pano and gigapixel images. For example 68000x18000
I had same enblend issues. Enblend kept working working and nothing happened at the end memory errors. I checked it with better RAM but no success.

"One approach to stitch very large projects is to split your project up into sub-projects, stitch each, then stitch the sub-panos."

interested to know how to do it. If i output partial images than how can i link these in one piece...questions like lens parameters, crop factor etc etc.

Thanks

Emaad

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Terry Duell

Nov 29, 2017, 3:42:02 AM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:03:49 +1100, Emad ud din Bhatt <xyz...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> *"One approach to stitch very large projects is to split your project up
> into sub-projects, stitch each, then stitch the sub-panos.*"
>
> interested to know how to do it. If i output partial images than how can
> i link these in one piece...questions like lens parameters, crop factor
> etc
> etc.

When you stitch each part of your project the stitcher will report the
field of view, which you should be able to use when you reload these
images to be stitched.
How about having a try and seeing how you go.

Terry Duell

Nov 29, 2017, 3:45:43 AM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Emad,

wrote:

> I had same enblend issues. Enblend kept working working and nothing
> happened at the end memory errors. I checked it with better RAM but no
> success.

OK, which version of Enblend and which OS?

David W. Jones

Nov 29, 2017, 4:13:53 AM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On November 28, 2017 10:41:18 PM HST, Terry Duell <tdu...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:03:49 +1100, Emad ud din Bhatt
><xyz...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> *"One approach to stitch very large projects is to split your project
>up
>> into sub-projects, stitch each, then stitch the sub-panos.*"
>>
>> interested to know how to do it. If i output partial images than how
>can
>> i link these in one piece...questions like lens parameters, crop
>factor
>> etc
>> etc.
>
>When you stitch each part of your project the stitcher will report the
>field of view, which you should be able to use when you reload these
>images to be stitched.

I've been using Hugin for many years, maybe it's me, but how do you stitch *part* of a project?

Only way I've figured out is to create the main project and save it, then copy that PTO file as many times as needed for new separate subprojects. Then edit each subproject, remove the images that don't belong in it, then save and stitch each subproject. Then create a new "main" project to stitch together the results of the sub projects. Is that what you mean?

Sorry if I'm just dense, but maybe it will help Emad, too.

David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/OSS K-9 Mail.

dkloi

Nov 29, 2017, 8:33:04 AM11/29/17
In a preview window, only selected images get stitched into the final pano.

David W. Jones

Nov 29, 2017, 1:10:31 PM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Ah, thanks. Never tried that.

On November 29, 2017 3:33:04 AM HST, 'dkloi' via hugin and other free panoramic software <hugi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>In a preview window, only selected images get stitched into the final
>pano.
>
>On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 09:13:53 UTC, GnomeNomad wrote:
>>
>> On November 28, 2017 10:41:18 PM HST, Terry Duell
><tdu...@iinet.net.au
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>> >On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:03:49 +1100, Emad ud din Bhatt
>> ><xyz...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.

Terry Duell

Nov 29, 2017, 5:24:02 PM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 20:13:46 +1100, David W. Jones <gnome...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been using Hugin for many years, maybe it's me, but how do you
> stitch *part* of a project?

Deselect the images not wanted for that part, stitch and save, then select
the images for the next part, and so on.

> Only way I've figured out is to create the main project and save it,
> then copy that PTO file as many times as needed for new separate
> subprojects. Then edit each subproject, remove the images that don't
> belong in it, then save and stitch each subproject. Then create a new
> "main" project to stitch together the results of the sub projects. Is
> that what you mean?

To stitch all the sub-panos, I just load them all as a new project and
proceed as one normally would.
It may not be the smartest way to do it, but it is an approach that has
worked for me in the past. I've not done any of these recently.

Paul Elliott

Nov 29, 2017, 5:50:06 PM11/29/17
I've been following this thread as I'm having similar problems stitching a 312 image pano to a final size of over 600Mpx. Using some of the options above in the thread I've got it to work with JPGs and I'm now stitching Tiffs for the final output. In the process I tried breaking it down into several strips all 360 HFV but Hugin failed to load them, it just crashed every time I loaded an image. I'm using the current download on win10 running on an I7 8700K / GTX1060 and 16GB Ram.
Should Hugin be able to load wide strips or would I be better breaking it into squares?
Thanks for all the input above its helped be a lot, I'm fairly new to Hugin.
Paul

Terry Duell

Nov 29, 2017, 6:26:06 PM11/29/17
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:39:47 +1100, Paul Elliott
<paulcel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been following this thread as I'm having similar problems stitching
> 312 image pano to a final size of over 600Mpx. Using some of the options
> above in the thread I've got it to work with JPGs and I'm now stitching
> Tiffs for the final output. In the process I tried breaking it down into
> several strips all 360 HFV but Hugin failed to load them, it just crashed
> every time I loaded an image. I'm using the current download on win10
> running on an I7 8700K / GTX1060 and 16GB Ram.
> Should Hugin be able to load wide strips or would I be better breaking it
> into squares?

I'm not sure what the limits are but I would try with strips of reduced
hfov until I had success.

David W. Jones

Nov 30, 2017, 1:39:57 AM11/30/17
to hugin-ptx
On 11/29/2017 12:23 PM, Terry Duell wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 20:13:46 +1100, David W. Jones
> <gnome...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been using Hugin for many years, maybe it's me, but how do you
>> stitch *part* of a project?
>
> Deselect the images not wanted for that part, stitch and save, then
> select the images for the next part, and so on.

Thanks!

>> Only way I've figured out is to create the main project and save it,
>> then copy that PTO file as many times as needed for new separate
>> subprojects. Then edit each subproject, remove the images that don't
>> belong in it, then save and stitch each subproject. Then create a new
>> "main" project to stitch together the results of the sub projects. Is
>> that what you mean?
>>

> To stitch all the sub-panos, I just load them all as a new project and
> proceed as one normally would.
> It may not be the smartest way to do it, but it is an approach that has
> worked for me in the past. I've not done any of these recently.

I haven't had to, either. But a few days ago I stitched a 31-frame strip
pano (in one pass) using my present camera's 6MP images. I monitored the
memory usage, and it hit 12GB (out of the present 16GB).

I'm hoping to replace the present camera with a 24-36MPX camera, so I
expect memory consumption will REALLY climb working with those images.