Should we create a subreddit?

Orgus

Oct 9, 2014, 2:13:53 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
Reddit's commenting system is more flexible, and it's more popular than a mailing list. The problem is that site's lax administration has allowed in some pretty questionable characters.

Michel Landry

Oct 9, 2014, 3:10:35 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
Your comment could have conveyed your thought without that second backhanded sentence.  Please keep it civil.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Orgus <lori...@aim.com> wrote:
Reddit's commenting system is more flexible, and it's more popular than a mailing list. The problem is that site's lax administration has allowed in some pretty questionable characters.

polerix

Oct 9, 2014, 3:49:36 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
wut?
--
Paul Eric Lagace
506-227-8941

Greetings and salutation fellow human being, of course a human being I am as well. Ha! Ha! Ha! Human humor.

Orgus

Oct 9, 2014, 4:49:12 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
That blunder aside, do you think it's a good idea?

Nick Brake

Oct 9, 2014, 4:59:01 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com

I'm not a Reddit-er, so not in the best position to argue it's merits.

How many hacker/maker-spaces have their own sub-reddits?  Given this mailing list pertains to our specific local, Hub City, and not a general interest list, of which many already exist, I'm not sure if there is any need to duplicate what's out there. If there are general hacker/maker sub-reddits, that's the answer. Participation in both a local oriented mailing list is not exclusive, you can always cross post and link for references to more general mailing lists and sub-reddits.

Popularity on a global front isn't the "raison d'etre" of this mailing list, it's a forum for hackers and makers in the local area to interact. Don't be shy in participating in all sorts of mailing lists/reddits/forums. And link reference where appropriate.

In what ways is the Reddit commenting system more flexible than a Google groups mailing list and what are the potential benefits it would bring?

Orgus

Oct 9, 2014, 5:05:32 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
I just like the fact than you can rate articles and comments, compared to here where you ca only favour them.

Nick Brake

Oct 9, 2014, 6:03:57 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com

I'm not signed up to Google+, so I don't see any "+1" up-voting that might occur. This limits me the the classic "/bump" reply and to see things only as a function of a threads popularity which can admittedly be misleading. I know I'm one of the small minority that don't participate in "social media", please forgive my ignorance! Unless you count Slashdot...

Not sure we have the traffic volume to warrant such a system. But it's an interesting thought to consider.

I view the mailing list as a means to an end, a place to continue a discussion started in person or start a conversion topic that might be physically worked on in person. That is the purpose of a hacker/maker space. Providing a low barrier to entry place for people to hack things to their needs and make things they desire. Barring any actual work on such things, it's an academic discussion which might be better off taking place in another more universal/global forum and linking that back to the mailing list to see if people in the local area are interested.

Much like the Google Cardboard that polerix had linked, thanks Paul! It's interesting and I did pick one up to satiate my curiosity, I don't have a huge interest in developing for it but certainly find it interesting. Figured the least I could do was to check it out and bring it in so that anyone else who might be interested can as well, which might encourage/make it possible for them to develop for it.

Cheers

Jean-Francois Arseneau

Nick Brake

Oct 9, 2014, 6:41:32 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link!

Nick Brake

Oct 9, 2014, 7:14:31 PM10/9/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
So the question I suppose is if we should be encouraging people to use Reddit instead of the mailing list?

Whatever people are most comfortable with is what they should use, but it's not like we can compel people to use Reddit over the mailing list. Having things split between the two could have a negative impact on participation online, but in person it shouldn't matter. Anyone attending gatherings, especially Wednesday evenings, it would be great if you'd specify where you'll be posting the continuation of a discussion, mailing-list or reddit, so people can stay in the loop on those conversations.

On my part, I'll keep an eye on the subreddit. We'll let popularity organically decide what's the prefered method of online communication. If more and more people are starting topics on reddit, the crowd will follow. Don't be shy to use reddit and link back to the mailing list though! For those that aren't redditers.

Orgus

Oct 11, 2014, 3:26:02 AM10/11/14
to hubci...@googlegroups.com
Point, that fragmentation would prove to be a headache.