polerix

Jun 17, 2015, 4:58:06 PM6/17/15
to hubci...@googlegroups.com

Don't be so hard on yourself.

On Jun 17, 2015 12:46 PM, "Nick Brake" <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:

Spent a couple hours to design, build and program a battery powered hat that describes myself pretty well.

On Jun 15, 2015 7:33 PM, "Nick Brake" <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
Did I mention I'm currently working on building a 3D scanner? I just came across this last week. Based on http://diwo.bq.com/en/documentation-ciclop-and-horus-2/  I have all the electronics, lasers and stepper motor all setup, need to build out the frame and get a bearing for the platter. It's all open source.

The 500$+ handheld and rotating table 3D scanners don't have good reviews, for 5K$+ you can get something that works very well. I'm ok with spending 100$ or so on hardware to build one even if I only get mediocre results and be limited to small-ish objects.

I expect to put in many more hours and of course some money to build this project. It would be much easier to order a kit, but I want to play so the first thing I did was to write a custom interrupt based ATMega32U4 arduino program to be used with a ULN2003 as the stepper motor driver, I'm using a small stepper motor
 with an 8 step sequence instead of 4 and is 1000steps/360degrees, approx 1millisecond per step (firmware limits interrupts but running faster will mean less steps actually processed), 6$ vs a polulu at 3-5$ which would be overkill for this stepper, but I made it myself and had fun doing it! Another arduino ATMega328P is loaded with the Horus firmware driving the two lasers and connected to the stepper driver. This is a perfect example of something a hacker-space could do, but the individuals who won't ever do things sure won't try and build of these lol. They'd be saying you need to buy the 5K$ one, anything else is shit, despite not wanting to even spend 100$.

I'm very interested in Intel's work on 3D video/photo/mesh capture using dual cameras, but the software is windows only and I don't want to drop a bunch of money into something completely proprietary even if there is an SDK, it's still windows based and I don't run windows. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/realsense-3d-camera.html

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Nick Brake <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
Someone asked me if I was alright.

Yup, I am. Pfft, so I blow off some steam in the hopes that maybe, just maybe those who are subscribed to the mailing list  and aren't actually interested in building/making/programming stuff should Get The Fuck Out, and not impede others who do want to. Think about for two minutes, you can hope/want/etc to actually do something, ask yourself am I willing to put money into my project if it requires hardware, am I willing to put in at least a few hours for even small projects assuming most projects will be a learning experience. If after thinking long and hard about it, and be honest with yourself, if you say no to the above don't come. I get that the original people that started the hacker-space really wanted to be inclusive no matter what. I've said it before, it was not a good plan. Do they let people hang out down at the pool buggin the instructor while people are taking swimming lessons? Do they let people hang out and be disruptive at $PLACE where people are doing $STUFF ?  No, no they do not.

It's terrible that the people that are doing the above that have driven a number of other interested people away. Allowing that crap means it's only being filled with the socially inept that think it's a club for doing nothing but talking about inane/inappropriate stuff and doing nothing.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Nick Brake <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
I actually have 4 laptops, two I actively use, two that could be replaced by a couple of RaspberryPi(s), so technically there are two that I could setup and donate, they are quite recent and way better than the laptops that Tamer donated and the Ubuntu desktop computer. Definitely not going to donate anything else.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Nick Brake <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
I now have a full setup which I would have let people use if need be. SMT reflow oven (can use to help salvage parts or soldering boards with paste), ABS 3D-printing, CNC milling machine, 4watt Laser Cutter (can make solder paste stencils and 4 watts is about the highest you can get before getting into the thousand dollar high wattage). Table saw with a variety of blades for cutting wood/carbon fiber/fiberglass/plexiglass/polycarbonate, full sized drill press, and the standard hand power tools; drill, circular saw, jigsaw, etc.

I'm sure all that would be exciting for some people, but for sure no one would actually make something. Sad but true.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Nick Brake <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes I tried my best to fix the one remaining laptop that someone ripped apart. It's not like they took anything from it for the other laptop, they were both working, why rip out the the heat pipe...

I got it into the bios but as soon as you try load an operating system and the kernel tries to initialize the hardware it reboots. No clue what the hell was done to it, it's got all it's parts, but does not work anymore.

Well done!

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Nick Brake <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
Well I'm a sad panda.

Tamer donated two laptops so people could do stuff, I spent many hours making sure they were on a private wifi with internet access, setting up all kinds of software, programming, hardware programming, all kinds of stuff. There were sticky notes detailing setup.

I unsubscribed from the mailing list, I won't get standard replies, and I don't want a reply.

Not sure what the point of breaking a working laptop was. Have fun setting up the linux desktop for software programming and hardware programming, ST-Micro, MicroChip Pic, Atmel (Arduino), Texas Instruments, RaspberryPi, etc.

Feel pretty stupid for donating almost a thousand dollars worth of stuff for hardware hacking, the real kind where you make stuff. No one does anything, no one seems interested in anything actually hacker/maker-space related, just crap talk about stupid shit. If you want to make a club that does nothing but talk about the most inane shit, make one, don't hijack the Hacker/Maker-space, jerks.

And yeah, I'm being a jerk. Because I've put so much into it, time and money, and it's all for not.

Fscking
Useless
Children
Killed me.

I tried and tried to get people onboard with making a hackerspace, I tried and tried and tried over the past few years. I stopped going because I honestly could not tolerate the useless people who only distracted from doing anything and talking shit. Lets talk about hardcore porn! Lets talk about launching a 100 thousand dollar micro-sat! Lets talk about doing stuff that's clearly illegal and honestly a real dick move as the point was to fuck over other people for kicks.

I talked to Andrew and he suggested that next Wednesday we could have people build the Arduino on a breadboard, of which I donated the stuff for 10 kits, but there's nothing to program them and while I could bring in two of my laptops I do not want anyone touching my laptops. At least the only thing you'll need is the Arduino IDE for the breadboard Arduinos, note: if you try to setup the Arduino IDE on the ubuntu desktop and it's not programming the chip, add the udev rule and restart the service. That's all the help I got, not that anyone would.

Nick, the jerk, the free-speech suppressor (so it was claimed, but that guy was crazy/dumb, I'm not the government and I can't make it illegal, post whatever crap you want elsewhere, NO YOU DO NOT HAVE SOME GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO POST WHATEVER YOU WANT. Even reddit is censoring now, so suck on it.)

Wanna learn something? Want help with a project? Sorry, not gonna be me even though I have a wealth of knowledge and even more parts at home that I would give away if someone wanted to do something and needed parts. I feel like setting fire to the cabinet with all the donated stuff since no one is going to use it. Obviously I wouldn't do that.

What a fucking joke.