non-ssl requests on port 443

John Chesley

Dec 2, 2013, 4:18:38 PM12/2/13
to httpar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

This might seem silly but I need to be able to use HTTParty to access a non-ssl resource on port 443. HTTParty currently checks for port 443 in the URL and turns on SSL automatically, so right now it's impossible to do this, even if I specify the URL as HTTP, e.g. "http://example.org:443" (http gets changed to https in this case).

It seems reasonable to let the scheme of the URL trump the port, so even though by default port 443 is associated with SSL, if the URL specifies "http://", then it should not be changed to "https://" by HTTParty. I have a pull request implementing this change here: https://github.com/jnunemaker/httparty/pull/258

This would be a breaking change - if anyone is currently expecting SSL to always be turned on for port 443 then they might be in for a nasty surprise with this change.

Does anybody have strong opinions about this? Is anybody here depending on the current behavior? Would this be better as an option, e.g. `HTTParty.get(url, { use_ssl: false })` or similar? Would be great to get some feedback on this and hear what you all think.

Thanks,

~John