Can HAR files be generated programatically for web applications running on localhost using any API/library/tool??

Giriraj Sharma

Jun 22, 2014, 3:03:52 AM6/22/14
to http-archive-...@googlegroups.com

I am working upon designing an automatic client side performance tracking tool. I saw browsermob proxy alongwith selenium can be used for writing such tests. But, i am wondering if :-

1) Can BMP+Selenium be used for capturing network traffic for applications running on localhost and generate HAR files ? if not, can PhantomJS be used for it ?

2) To compare HAR files generated by subsequent test run on same webpage, what can be the best tool/storage ? Can HAR Storage(built using mongoDB and pylon) be used for comparing two HAR files to see improvements or degarde in performance ?*

3) What can be the best Java/Javascript API for reading/writing HAR JSON data ? Is HARlib the best API?

4) Is there any API available which can help in generating Page Speed Report in any format (JSON/XML etc.) from any HAR file.

5) Is PhantomJS a more suitable tool/API to meet my requirements ?

I have googled and discovered tools for performing these operations, like, HAR can be generated using BMP+Selenium/Firebug+NetExport/Chrome dev tools but I am more interested if any APIs are available for these operations ?

Overall, I want my clients can test their webapps during development phase on localhost by writing tests , generating HAR files, comparing two/some/all HAR files generated so far for the same webpage. Clients would be writing tests using my own defined API. This API may internally use selenium/BMP.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24333922/does-browser-mob-proxy-supports-capturing-network-traffic-for-applications-runni

Overall, my question boils down to the query that can HAR files be generated for web applications running on localhost using any API??