hacking drones and rovers for WildEarth in the bush

Graham Wallington

Oct 23, 2015, 11:55:04 AM10/23/15
to house4hack
WildEarth.tv produces 2 x 3-hour LIVE hosted HD interactive safari shows per day. We broadcast these every day and then several times per year we broadcast LIVE on Nat Geo in the US. Check it out: www.wildsafarilive.com

We are looking for a young engineer/hacker to join our team of Spartans and live in the Sabi Sands [Djuma Game Reserve] for 2 months [Nov + Dec 2015] and assist our engineers to make magic.

We will pay all accommodation, transport and living expenses as well as R15k [gross] per month. If you excel we will consider a longer term contract at a better salary.

In addition to working on our various camera units [2 x safari vehicles, 1 x bush walk and 1 x drone unit] you will also be maintaining [and expanding] our extensive [RPi based] telemetry system and various DVBT receive towers and our cutting edge High Definition LIVE control room.

We currently operate 2 x Phantom 3 quadcopters for LIVE aerial views but now want to develop an autonomous swarm of "drone repeaters", which will be based on a flying wing platform [X8 Skywalker] combined with the ardusoar fork of the awesome ardupilot open source autopilot.

We are also upgrading one of our waterhole cams and will be adding a "dung cam" which will be an HD cam on an ardurover camouflaged as a pile of elephant %$#@. It will creep right up to animals drinking and be controlled by our global team of volunteer zoomies.

Seriously we are not looking for just another young engineer. We are looking for a super smart, self-motivated courageous hacker Spartan that can work in a team in a remote location and deliver the impossible on a daily basis. Who laughs in the face of "can't do" and was born to build robots that actually do something useful.

If you are that person and if you are available for an adventure that you will never forget and have always wanted to pioneer robot cameras for National Geographic while living in the most incredible bush in Africa then send your CV and a letter of motivation to jo...@wildearth.tv [don't forget to tell us about your most interesting projects to date].

Note: Please please don't send us anything unless you know you can SMASH these problems.

Graham Wallington

Nov 2, 2015, 4:42:55 AM11/2/15
to house4hack
We have not yet found the right candidate and in the interests of attracting the right person are willing to pay someone based on their experience/skills and not limit the fee to R15k/month.