A question regarding certain rules

Dimitris Tsementzis

Oct 9, 2017, 1:41:14 PM10/9/17
to Homotopy Type Theory
Dear all,

Is there a type theory that has been considered in the literature which includes *both* the following rules

Γ |- t : T
———————— (R1)
Γ |- t : C(T)

Γ |- t : T
———————— (R2)
Γ |- p(t) : C(T)

where C(T) is a type expression, p(t) is a term expression, t is a term expression that must appear in p(t), and T is a type expression that may or may not appear in C(T).

An example of (R1) is (U-CUMUL) as in the HoTT book, i.e. cumulativity of universes.

An example of (R2) is (Nat-intro-2) as in the HoTT book, i.e. the successor for Nat (with C(T) == Nat).

Best,

Dimitris

Gaëtan Gilbert

Oct 9, 2017, 1:54:23 PM10/9/17
to HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com
Does T:=Type0, C(T):=Type1, t:=nat and p(t):=nat->nat count? If so HoTT
has this. If not why not?

Gaëtan Gilbert

Dimitris Tsementzis

Oct 9, 2017, 11:06:18 PM10/9/17
to Gaëtan Gilbert, Homotopy Type Theory
Thanks. Yes, this is of course entirely compatible with my description, yet I am not sure it captures what I was after.

I will have to think more about whether your example suffices for my purposes.

Dimitris