semantic universe polymorphism

Michael Shulman

Apr 2, 2015, 12:25:51 AM4/2/15
to homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone studied universe polymorphism from a semantic viewpoint,
rather than as a purely syntactic device that gets "compiled away"
into explicit universe levels before being interpreted semantically?
I am imagining something like making the category of contexts into an
indexed category over a sort of "category of universe indices",
corresponding to viewing the polymorphic universe indices as an
additional "context" on the left of all judgments.

Mike

Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine

Apr 2, 2015, 7:51:22 PM4/2/15
to Michael Shulman, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
I’ve discussed it a little with Matthieu Sozeau and Nicolas Tabareau, and have been planning to work on it with a visiting student over the summer.  We haven’t got anything carefully worked out yet, though.

–p.