regular infinity-actions

Michael Shulman

May 3, 2016, 11:12:22 AM5/3/16
to homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
In a discussion at the nForum:
https://nforum.ncatlab.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=7095
the following question arose.

Define an "oo-group" G to be a pointed connected type denoted BG.
(That is, when we regard a pointed connected type as an oo-group, we
write G for the oo-group and BG for its underlying type.) An "action"
of an oo-group G is a type family X : BG -> Type; it is said to be an
action "on" the type X(*), where *:BG is the basepoint. The action is
"regular" if \sum_{p:BG} X(p) is contractible.

Given a G-action X, define Aut_G(X) to be the oo-group with

BAut_G(X) = \sum_{P:BG->Type} || P=X ||.

and basepoint (X,refl). Then we have a BAut_G(X)-action defined by

Y : BAut_G(X) -> Type
Y(P,p) = P(*)

and because Y(X,refl) = X(*), this is an action on the same underlying type.

CONJECTURE: if the G-action X is regular, then so is the Aut_G(X)-action Y.

Any takers? This might be easy, or it might be hard; I haven't had
time to really think about it. When G is a set-group (i.e. BG is a
1-type) and X is a set, it is a classical fact; a proof is at
https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/regular%20action. In that case there is
also a partial converse that if G acts transitively and faithfully on
X and Aut_G(X) acts regularly, then G also acts regularly. It's less
obvious how to define "transitive and faithful" in the oo-setting, but
that would be a natural next question.

Mike

Egbert Rijke

May 3, 2016, 12:23:04 PM5/3/16
to Michael Shulman, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

It would be convenient if we have a point in X(*), for instance to conclude that X(p) is equivalent to p=*. Then we would also be able to construct the center of contraction of the type

\sum_{b : BAut_G(X)} Y(b),

because it is equivalent to

\sum_{P:BG -> U} \sum_{t: ||P=X||} P(*).

With a point x0 in X(*), we would take the triple (X, refl, x0) as the center of contraction. Then let P : BG -> U, let t : || P = X ||, let p0 : P(*). To show regularity, it suffices to show

\sum_{\alpha : P = X} trans(alpha)(p0) = x0

This type is equivalent to showing that there are

K : \prod_{b:BG} P(b) \equiv X(b), and
K(*,p0) = x0

Since we need this particular fiberwise equivalence, it suffices to show that

\sum_{b:BG} P(b)

is contractible. Now this is a mere proposition, so we can eliminate t : || P = X || to obtain the proof.

Can we have a point in X(*) or not?

Best,
Egbert

Michael Shulman

May 3, 2016, 1:25:31 PM5/3/16
to Egbert Rijke, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
Well, since \sum_{p:BG} X(p) is contractible, we have a p0:BG and
x:X(p0); so since ||p0=*|| we have ||X(*)||. And then as
contractibility is a proposition, to prove it we can assume X(*).
Nicely done!

Any takers for the converse?

Egbert Rijke

May 3, 2016, 2:13:23 PM5/3/16
to Michael Shulman, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
Here's an attempt for the converse, but I'll leave the fact whether this particular notion of principal bundle is a good candidate for Mikes "transitive and faithful" condition up for discussion.

Lets say that X : BG -> U is a principal homogeneous space for G if the following condition holds:

\prod_{x,y : X(*)} isContr( \sum_{g:G} trans(g,x)=y ).

If X is a principal homogeneous space for G and ||X(*)||, then X is regular.

Proof.
We may assume x0 : X(*). This gives us the center of contraction (*,x0). It remains to show that

\prod_{b:BG} \prod_{x:X(b)} \sum_{\alpha : b=*} \trans(\alpha,x) = x0.

Of course, it would suffice to prove the stronger statement

\prod_{b:BG} \prod_{x:X(b)} isContr (\sum_{\alpha : b=*} \trans(\alpha,x) = x0).

However, now we get to use that BG is connected. Therefore it suffices to show that

\prod_{x:X(*)} isContr (\sum_{\alpha : G} \trans(\alpha,x) = x0)

This holds by assumption.

Best,
Egbert

Egbert Rijke

May 3, 2016, 11:56:26 PM5/3/16
to Michael Shulman, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
There is a counter example to the claim that whenever the family Y : BAut_G(X) -> U is regular, then X must be regular.

Counter example:
Consider X the double cover of the circle. Its total space of X is the circle, so that is not contractible. However, the claim is that the type

\sum_{P:S1 -> U} ||P=X|| x P(*)

is contractible. The center of contraction is going to be (X,refl,true). Now let P : S1 -> U, such that ||P=X|| and p0 : P(*). We have to show that (P,p0) =  (X,true). To see this, note first that P is determined by A := P(*) and the equivalence e : A \equiv A given by transporting over loop. So we need to show that (A, e, p0) = (X, neg, true)

We obtain from ||P=X|| that ||A=2||. Recall that for types A such that ||A=2|| we have A \equiv (A = 2) in a canonical way. Since we have p0 : A, it follows from the previous observation that we get an equivalence f : A \equiv 2 such that f(p0) = true. Moreover, since it follows that (A \equiv A) \equiv 2, we can decide what the equivalence e : A \equiv A is. There are two provably distinct possibilities, and since ||P=X|| it follows that e has to be negation. This finishes the proof of contractibility.

Best,
Egbert

Egbert Rijke

May 4, 2016, 12:01:52 AM5/4/16
to Michael Shulman, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
typo: in the counter example, X is the *twisted* double cover, given by the type 2, and negation.

Michael Shulman

May 4, 2016, 4:38:57 PM5/4/16
to Egbert Rijke, homotopyt...@googlegroups.com
Well, in the case when G and X are sets, I don't think your definition
reduces to "transitive and faithful", since it also includes freeness.
Moreover, you didn't use the other hypothesis of the converse that the
action of Aut_G(X) is regular.

Erik Palmgren

May 6, 2016, 7:18:56 AM5/6/16
to HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com
A new preprint is available on arXiv:

Categories with families, FOLDS and logic enriched type theory

Erik Palmgren

http://arxiv.org/abs/1605.01586

Abstract. Categories with families (cwfs) is an established semantical
structure for dependent type theories, such as Martin-L\"of type theory.
Makkai's first-order logic with dependent sorts (FOLDS) is an example of
a so-called logic enriched type theory. We introduce in this article a
notion of hyperdoctrine over a cwf, and show how FOLDS and Aczel's and
Belo's dependently typed (intuitionistic) first-order logic (DFOL) fit
in this semantical framework. A soundness and completeness theorem is
proved for such a logic. The semantics is functorial in the sense of
Lawvere, and uses a dependent version of the Lindenbaum-Tarski algebra
for a DFOL theory. Agreement with standard first-order semantics is
established. Some applications of DFOL to constructive mathematics and
categorical foundations are given. A key feature is a local
propositions-as-types principle.