Voevodsky obituary in Nature

Daniel R. Grayson

Nov 7, 2017, 4:40:01 PM11/7/17
to Homotopy Type Theory

Dimitris Tsementzis

Nov 7, 2017, 4:50:24 PM11/7/17
to Daniel R. Grayson, Homotopy Type Theory
Dan,

It is an interesting idea to refer to univalence as a “mechanism” rather than an “axiom”.

Even if you did it for expository reasons, I believe that in certain contexts it is a good phrase to adopt.

Dimitris

Martín Hötzel Escardó

Nov 7, 2017, 5:49:30 PM11/7/17
to Homotopy Type Theory

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 21:50:24 UTC, Dimitris Tsementzis wrote:
Dan,

It is an interesting idea to refer to univalence as a “mechanism” rather than an “axiom”.

Even if you did it for expository reasons, I believe that in certain contexts it is a good phrase to adopt.

I very much like this way of expression, too, even though univalence became a mechanism for the first time with cubicaltt.

Nevertheless, although Vladimir certainly didn't have a mechanism for univalence, he envisioned its possibility, and even formulated a conjecture that is still unsettled, namely that if univalence implies that there is a *number* n:N with a property P(n), then we can find, metatheoretically, using an algorithm, a *numeral* n':N (a closed term of type N) and a proof that univalence implies P(n'). No mechanism for univalence can currently provide that, as far as I know.

Martin

Dimitris

Martín Hötzel Escardó

Nov 7, 2017, 6:11:58 PM11/7/17
to Homotopy Type Theory

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 22:49:30 UTC, Martín Hötzel Escardó wrote:

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 21:50:24 UTC, Dimitris Tsementzis wrote:
Dan,

It is an interesting idea to refer to univalence as a “mechanism” rather than an “axiom”.

Even if you did it for expository reasons, I believe that in certain contexts it is a good phrase to adopt.

I very much like this way of expression, too, even though univalence became a mechanism for the first time with cubicaltt.

Nevertheless, although Vladimir certainly didn't have a mechanism for univalence, he envisioned its possibility, and even formulated a conjecture that is still unsettled, namely that if univalence implies that there is a *number* n:N with a property P(n), then we can find, metatheoretically, using an algorithm, a *numeral* n':N (a closed term of type N) and a proof that univalence implies P(n').

The conjecture said that we can find a numeral n':N and a proof that univalence implies n=n' .

Here is what he actually conjectured:

"
Conjecture 1 There is a terminating algorithm which for any term nn of type nat constructed
with the use of the univalence axiom outputs a pair (nn 0 , pf ) where nn 0 is a term of type nat
constructed without the use of the univalence axiom and pf is a term of type paths nat nn nn 0 (i.e.
a proof that nn 0 = nn). The term pf may use the univalence axiom.
"

Martin