how to configure RTCP QOS feature with Homer and Freeswitch?

martin.tom...@googlemail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37:37 AM2/25/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to setup the real time qos feature. But I cannot find any documentation to setup a freeswitch box logging these details into Homer.
Created the DB's but of course nothing is logged since I haven't configured anything yet. What to set on frreswitch box which is usign the latest freeswitch build 1.5.15b?
And what to set on homer that is also running latest git?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Alexandr Dubovikov

Feb 26, 2015, 3:14:23 AM2/26/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

currently only asterisk and captagent can collect RTCP information and send it to Homer, but for Freeswitch you can use hepipe and send logs, including some Voice Quality.

http://www.github.org/sipcapture/hepipe

Wbr,
Alexandr

martin.tom...@googlemail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 6:22:20 AM2/26/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com

thanks. I will give it a try...
my first compile attempts creates an error:
cc -o hepipe hepipe.c -lpcap
hepipe.c: In function âdump_proto_packetâ:
hepipe.c:400: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
hepipe.c:401: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

Alexandr Dubovikov

Feb 26, 2015, 6:39:17 AM2/26/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com

if(strncmp("warning", "error", strlen("warning")))
{
         printf("Warning is not error!\n");

martin.tom...@googlemail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 6:52:30 AM2/26/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
thanks. allright...i will ignore it ;)

martin.tom...@googlemail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 7:03:52 AM2/26/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
after compilation I get a heppie binary of course. this has these options:
./hepipe -h
usage: hepipe <-vhc> <-d dev> <-s host> <-p port>
            <-t type> <-f filter file> <-i id> <-H 1|2|3>
   -h  is help/usage
   -v  is version information
   -s  is the capture server
   -p  is use specified port of capture server. i.e. 9060
   -c  is checkout
   -i  is capture identifity. Must be a 16-bit number. I.e: 101
   -H  is HEP protocol version [1|2|3]. By default we use HEP version 3

That is totally different to the readme that states the captagent to be used. So please can you give me a short 3 sentence asnwer that explains the conjunction of freeswitch, the included hep agent in freeswitch, homer and hepipe with qos monitoring.
thanks

martin.tom...@googlemail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 3:40:31 AM2/27/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
since the documentation is poor and unclear.....do you expect the people not to ask questions?
freeswitch has a homer agent "build in". so how does this work together with hepipe ?
thanks

Alexandr Dubovikov

Feb 27, 2015, 5:12:51 AM2/27/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

did Google ban you ? Or this is just a way to annoying people ?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/homer-discuss/b-4t66KwdMI/-_xWitGoiLMJ

Antony Stone

Feb 27, 2015, 5:29:29 AM2/27/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 27 February 2015 at 11:12:47 (EU time), Alexandr Dubovikov wrote:

> Martin,
>
> did Google ban you ? Or this is just a way to annoying people ?
>
> On 2015-02-27 09:40, martin.tom...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > since the documentation is poor and unclear.....do you expect the
> > people not to ask questions?
> > freeswitch has a homer agent "build in". so how does this work
> > together with hepipe ?
> > thanks

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/homer-discuss/b-4t66KwdMI/-_xWitGoiLMJ

I personally find that expecting someone to use Google to search for the answer
to a question which is quite different from the user's own situation (Martin is
trying to get RTCP QoS data from Freeswitch; the question you linked to is
about getting CDR information through a GUI interface or API), simply because
you (the person who answered the previous question) happen to know that the
answer to both questions is the same, is a good way of annoying people.

It may not be deliberate, but technical experts who belittle less
knowledgeable people for asking questions, especially when the documentation
for the tool they're asking about does not explain how to do what they need
(even though it's a claimed feature), is a good way of putting people off your
software, because then both they and other people finding responses like this
is the mailing lists will think "if that's the way they answer questions when
we run into problems, we'd rather use something else".

So please, just put yourself in the place of the other person before insulting
them, and ask whether you're being fair.

Just out of interest, what keywords from Martin's problem / situation did you
need to search Google for in order to find the above topic?

I tried various combinations of "homer", "hepipe", "rtcp", "qos" and only
found https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/homer-discuss/6_rdLT7N4us which
doesn't provide a solution in this case.

Thanks,

Antony.

--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

- C A R Hoare

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Alexandr Dubovikov

Feb 27, 2015, 6:16:15 AM2/27/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
ok, I am so sorry about it.

again, as I wrote before, currently only asterisk and the captagent can
handle and send RTCP information to Homer. Freeswitch can only send SIP
via HEP. (1|2)

my proposal was to use hepipe with bash/perl/php, to extract some voice
QOS information from freeswitch's CDR and send it to Homer via HEP,
including correlation_id (callid)

as good example, here we have a good Lorenzo's script which does similar
job:

https://github.com/lmangani/ngcp-scripts/blob/master/HEP/ngcp-hep-logger.sh

and this topic explain how to use hepipe:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/homer-discuss/b-4t66KwdMI/-_xWitGoiLMJ

I hope now is almost clear.

again, sorry for the previous email. I was impatient.

With best regards,
Alexandr

Kim

Feb 27, 2015, 6:33:40 AM2/27/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

YanChong Wang

Mar 2, 2015, 4:54:33 AM3/2/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Alexandr:

Can I assume that I can got CDR information from homer GUI once the captagent is sending information into rtcp_capture table in homer_db?

I will read this thread again and again and really hope you can clarify.

Best Regards
Yanchong

Martin

Mar 4, 2015, 9:41:00 AM3/4/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
HI Alexandr,

thanks for the additional information and your apology. I was really suprised by your first response. If I have upset you somehow...I apologize as well.
Thanks Anthony for campaigning for me.
I will follow the mentioned thread and example script.
As I can see this example script is sysloging into a file.
What is the approach in your current integrated asterisk solution?
Is your prefered way on homer to create a pipe, setup syslog-ng and store data that way from file into db? Or does the asterisk agent insert it directly into DB?
I might be putting one of our developers on the project to "clone" your asterisk integration and create an implementation for freeswitch the same way.
Are there any documentation, code bundles that covers only this qos integration that you have running in asterisk in the Integrated Capture Agent?
How much does it differ from HEPIPE?
If I'm missing something I apologize..but I cannot find much in that direction. Do you have contributed a patch or branch at Asterisk?
I found this: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/New+in+13#Newin13-res_hep
stating that the hep agent was added. Is res_hep containing all that is needed to work with Asterisk the way you presented? Or are there any other modules or core enhancement involved?

Thanks a lot.
Martin

Alexandr Dubovikov

Mar 4, 2015, 5:12:55 PM3/4/15
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

On 03/04/2015 03:41 PM, Martin wrote:
HI Alexandr,

thanks for the additional information and your apology. I was really suprised by your first response. If I have upset you somehow...I apologize as well.

nobody's perfect :-)

Thanks Anthony for campaigning for me.
I will follow the mentioned thread and example script.
As I can see this example script is sysloging into a file.
What is the approach in your current integrated asterisk solution?
Is your prefered way on homer to create a pipe, setup syslog-ng and store data that way from file into db? Or does the asterisk agent insert it directly into DB?

asterisk just duplicate SIP and RTCP (in json) packets via HEP to kamailio (sipcapture). Kamailio parse HEP packets and depending on HEP protocol id does insert or to the sip_capture table (sip) or to the rtcp_capture. Nothing more.

HEPIPE is an external tools which give you possibility send a custom HEP packet to kamailio(sipcapture) and insert the packet to the log_capture table. This is good for some scenarios like:

1. extract additional information from auth logs of Radius, Diameter, Tacacs, LDAP
2. extract some QOS information from Acme's logs, Freeswitch's logs etc
3. put some notices about this calls.

I might be putting one of our developers on the project to "clone" your asterisk integration and create an implementation for freeswitch the same way.

this can be a very good way, you can contact me private or we can meet in Dusseldorf during this month.

there should be added HEPv3 and RTCP duplication.

Are there any documentation, code bundles that covers only this qos integration that you have running in asterisk in the Integrated Capture Agent?

there is only RTCP duplication. The final QOS information webHomer generate on demand. Unfortunately there is no documentation about this, only patches and open sources.

How much does it differ from HEPIPE?
If I'm missing something I apologize..but I cannot find much in that direction. Do you have contributed a patch or branch at Asterisk?

sure, you can check the patches here as well:

https://github.com/sipcapture/homer/tree/master/asterisk_rtcp_patch

I found this: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/New+in+13#Newin13-res_hep
stating that the hep agent was added. Is res_hep containing all that is needed to work with Asterisk the way you presented? Or are there any other modules or core enhancement involved?

only res_hep and res_rtcp.

Thanks a lot.
Martin

Wbr,
Alexandr

Te Matau

Feb 17, 2016, 9:29:41 PM2/17/16
to Homer Capture Server. sipcapture.org
Has there been any update to this? Is there an easier/better way to get Freeswitch to send RTCP data to Homer?

Kirill Sysoev

Apr 14, 2016, 5:49:57 AM4/14/16
to Homer Capture Server. sipcapture.org
+1

Alexandr Dubovikov

Apr 19, 2016, 8:51:09 AM4/19/16
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
+100500

it was long way, but unfortunately nobody contributed back to make HEPv3 support for Freeswitch.

anyway.... we have pushed a patch that give freeswitch possibility send SIP traffic over HEPv2 and HEPv3. The patch was accepted yesterday and merged to the master git.

About QOS and Freeswitch: we will do Cluecon Weekly on the April 20. Join and you will know how to do it :-)

Wbr,
Alexandr

Alexandr Dubovikov

Apr 19, 2016, 3:53:13 PM4/19/16
to homer-...@googlegroups.com

apologize, but on this week we will not do Cluecon Weekly conference. Updates are coming.....

Wbr,
Alexandr

Alexandr Dubovikov

Apr 26, 2016, 3:12:54 AM4/26/16
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Update:

we speak tomorrow at 19.00 CET or 12 PM / CST (USA);

if you would like to know how bring QOS from Freeswitch to Homer, join and listen :-)

as a gateway you can use:

or

Enjoy!

Wbr,
Alexandr

Brandon Bazemore

Apr 27, 2016, 4:28:24 PM4/27/16
to Homer Capture Server. sipcapture.org
Hey Alexandr - i caught some of the call today, but when i refreshed the youtube page to go back and watch the configuration stuff...no more page. Any plans or location to watch the cast again?

Alexandr Dubovikov

Apr 27, 2016, 4:32:49 PM4/27/16
to homer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Brandon,

it will be availble here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0i2xbniNHJQNfPPs_v4T0Q

lets hope it will come in next days... :-)

Wbr,
Alexandr