USOA REPORT: Worlds in Hobart Last day of practice and Opening ceremonies

Carol Rose

Jul 13, 2017, 1:13:49 PM7/13/17
to hock...@googlegroups.com
fyi  from U19 Men team coach - Holland Ja, San Francisco CA

Carol Rose
President USOA
CenCal Treasurer
World UW Hockey Commission

347 El Castillo Vista, Sonoma CA 95476  USA
707 343 7132 land line

Sent: Thu, Jul 13, 2017 9:55 am
Subject: Day Four: Last day of practice and Opening ceremonies

We warm up for our 10:40 am scrimmage with the French U23 women. It's the last day of practice and the pool is feeling intense. Teams are stretching and warming up in the water with purpose. The referees are looking sharp and moving with vigor.

The buzzer goes off and we're not ready. A full second before our forwards realize it's a go and the French women come streaming in for a quick goal. We reset and face off again. The women play perfect position and they're swarming around our boys backpicking as we curl. I'm almost mesmerized by their play until I snap out of it, watch our boys and tell them to swing off the wall. Raymond does a wide run and scores to tie it up. Later, the refs award us a penalty shot. Quantum and Zakk handle the shot and score. We score again in the second half. Final score USA 3 France 1. After the game, we give the French girls pins and take pictures together. (pix to be sent in a separate post).

After lunch, we hike for a half hour to get to the opening ceremonies. An indoor venue where the teams march in across a stage while their national anthem is played, and then file into the seats. It's a beautiful venue. Spectacular ceilings, perfect lighting. USA flag bearers Omar Mendoza (U23M) and Molly Banks(U19W) remain on stage and Justin Lee our USA U19 athlete gives the player oath in English. Two other athletes recite it in French and Spanish.

The MC introduces a native Aussie in a loincloth and body paint who performs a traditional dance and blows into a six foot wooden trumpet. The sound effects have a moving and primal effect. The entire body of athletes and spectators burst into a prolonged ovation of appreciation for this show of respect to early Aussie culture.

Several dignitaries speak but it's the Lord Mayor who steals the show. Funny, to the point and poignant words about our sport and appreciation of the 500 athletes and staff who have come to Hobart for these world games. Her speech brings tears to my eyes when she talks about the hard work and hours expended necessary to bring these teams to the games. After the ceremonies are over, everyone stands and as I turn around, Coach Kendall Banks is there and his eyes are glistening. He puts his hand on my shoulder and I pat his chest. We both understand.

The kids have fun interacting before and after the ceremonies. Mixing with all the teams, these games are about the kids and the experience they are having here down under. This opening ceremony was special. The games begin tomorrow.

Holland Ja
Coach, Team USA U19M

Tom Brown

Jul 15, 2017, 2:34:33 AM7/15/17
to Hockeynet
I've been posting the reports from worlds, so far written by Agnes and Holland, to http://usauwh.org/tags/junior-team-usa

Please follow along, watch some games and support our junior worlds teams. Encourage kids to play hockey, maybe even start a youth team. We built one from almost nothing in SF and look at how far the kids have gone!