2016 Battle at Altitude announcement

Philip Hickey

Oct 15, 2015, 3:24:55 PM10/15/15
to Hockeynet - Underwater Hockey International List
Hello fellow hockey enthusiasts,

The Denver Area Underwater Hockey Club (DAUHC) is pleased to announce the 11th annual Battle-At-Altitude tournament.

This year's edition of our tournament will be held on January 16th and 17th, 2016, at the Carmody pool (same pool as usual).

*REGISTRATION:*
DO NOT PAY YET!  Payments made before registration opens, or to the wrong PayPal address, will be considered donations to Colorado Underwater Hockey and will NOT secure your spot. There is a new registration/payment procedure this year!  In an attempt to make the entry process fair and reasonable for everybody who wishes to attend, we will be selling registration spots through the Eventbrite website.  As usual, we can accommodate a total of 8 teams (including 2 Colorado teams). There will be a two-team wait list after the available spots are taken. Only one registration spot may be purchased per team, and spots are non-transferable and not to be re-sold. Please note the following very important details:

Registration Opens at: Thursday, October 22nd at Noon Mountain Daylight time (that's 11am Pacific, 1pm Central, 2pm Eastern).  One week from today - mark your calendars!
Registration Closes:  Thursday, November 5th or when all spots are purchased
Registration website: https://baa2016.eventbrite.com
Registration payment methods accepted: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover
Registration Payment Amount: $100.  This non-refundable deposit secures your team's spot and will count toward your team's entry fee, provided payment in full is made by the team-payment deadline (failure to pay in full may result in your team's spot being offered to a team on the waiting list). Once your deposit is paid and your team's spot is secured, we will send you a roster form and you may pay the remainder of your entry fee, along with banquet fees, T-shirt purchases, Battle's-Eve entry fees, etc. via check or PayPal:

Check:  Make payable to DAUHC and mail to:
Philip Hickey
528 Welch Ave
Berthoud, CO 80513.
PayPal: Make a personal money transfer to our NEW Tournament PayPal Address - ColoradoUWH...@gmail.com.  As always, if you incur PayPal fees (by paying with a credit card, choosing the wrong type of payment, etc), we will ask you to cover them.  Also, please indicate in your PayPal memo who/what the payment is for to ensure that you receive credit for the payment.

Total Entry Fee cost: $800 per team. This includes all development fees.  Your $100 registration fee counts towards this total.  Late fees may be added - see below

Team-payment deadline: Thursday, November 19th at Noon, Mountain Standard time.

Any registered teams that have not paid in full by the above deadline will be moved to the end of the wait-list (and their entry fees will increase by $50).  We will then start offering spots to teams at the front of the wait list for the original entry fee ($800 total).  Wait-listed teams will always have 14 days to pay in full or be moved to the back of the wait list (and have their entry fees increased by $50).  We will continue in this manner until Monday, January 4th, 2016 or until all spots are paid for or no more teams are interested.

Team Rosters may contain up to 12 players.  If your team is bringing additional people (for the pot-luck Friday tournament, the banquet, etc.) please list them under 'Additional People'.

*BATTLE'S-EVE POT-LUCK TOURNAMENT:*
As usual, we will be hosting a separate, pot-luck style tournament on the Friday before BaA.  Come join us for a great day of hockey, whether you're planning to play Sat-Sun or not.  Entry fee is $20/person and can be paid along with a team BaA entry fee or separately (via check or PayPal - make sure you tell us in the memo whom the payment is for or it becomes a donation to Colorado UWH).  We will be using a slightly different pot-lucking team style this year, that we're sure you'll like (it's been wildly popular at our local mini-tournaments), but you'll have to come see it for yourself!

*POOL LOCATION AND TIMES:*
The pool is Carmody Recreation Center at 2200 S. Kipling St, Lakewood, CO (same as usual)
Friday (Pot-Luck): 10:00am to 9:30pm (might start later and/or end earlier, depending on attendance)
Saturday: 11:00am to 9:30pm and we have to clear the pool deck by 10pm
Sunday: 8am to 5pm and we have to clear the pool deck by 6pm.

*LODGING:*
The official tournament hotel will be the Lakewood Holiday Inn (same hotel as last year). Group rate is $75/night plus tax and includes a continental breakfast. King rooms and double-queen rooms are both available, with occupancy up to 5 people/room. The hotel will provide shuttles to the pool, as they have done for us in the past. To make your reservation at the group rate, mention ‘Denver Underwater Hockey Tournament’

Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood
7390 West Hampden at Wadsworth
Lakewood, CO 80227

Hotel Reservations: 888.737.5253
Front Desk: 303.980.9200

*BANQUET:*
Banquet will be the same place as last year (Abe's Bar and Grill).  Cost will most likely be $25/person

*SHIRTS:*
TBD, but you know they'll be comfy and look amazing, as always!

*SKI-O-RAMA:*
The most important part of the tournament!  Enjoy the Colorado High Country while you're here!
We ski the Monday after the tournament - and since it's Martin Luther King Day, we hope it will be easy for you to take the day off and join us on the powder. Let us know your interest - whether you want to ski, snowboard, snowshoe, hike, sled, or just hang out.  We will make every attempt to keep costs down so you too can see what Colorado is really about. Email Agnes (agnesde...@icloud.com) for more ski-o-rama information.

*ADDITIONAL DETAILS:*
The Carmody pool is 6.5-7.5 feet deep, surfaced with Oyster Quartz (a fine-grained aggregate finish). The lane-lines, center spot, penalty shot, and 5-and-2 markings are done in 2-inch tiles, and the interfaces between the tile and the Oyster Quartz are flush and smooth. A brand new brass puck is positively lively on this bottom.
All standard USOA-sanctioned tournament rules will apply (ear/mouth-guards, Minnesota rule, etc.). All 2016 USOA dues and waivers should be taken care of through USOA *prior* to your arrival in Denver. There will be a $10 late fee for paying or signing at the tournament. The 2016 USOA waiver will be available for download from the USA UWH website
For USOA payment questions, please contact Wendy Okafuji at Wendy_...@usauwh.com

*WEBSITE:*
For regularly-updated tournament information, visit our webpage.
Questions, comments, etc, please email us ColoradoUnde...@gmail.com or phone 720.352.4008

We hope to see you in Denver!
Best Regards,
-the Denver Area Underwater Hockey Club