Updated Information for the Old Timers Tournament

Karen Erickson

Jun 29, 2016, 6:43:52 PM6/29/16
to Hockeynet - Underwater Hockey International List

ATTENTION OLD TIMERS:

It looks like there is plenty of interest so the Old Timers Tournament is moving forward!

DETAILS:

  • When: Saturday & Sunday, September 17 & 18.  Estimated hours are 10:00-4:00 on Saturday; 10:00-3:30 on Sunday.

  • Where: Veterans Memorial Aquatics Center, 5310 E. 136th Avenue, Thornton, CO 80241 (about 20 minutes from Denver International Airport).

  • Banquet: The official banquet will be on Saturday evening. Vic Joyner, Master of Ceremonies extraordinaire, promised to emcee the banquet so be prepared for lots of revelry, laughs, fun… and maybe even a game or 2 of butt darts.

  • Sunday: A casual dinner get together will be arranged on Sunday evening for those who are staying the night.

  • Cost: $125 per player for the tournament + $25 for the banquet.

  • Donations: All proceeds from the tournament will go to benefit the 2017 Juniors Worlds team. If you would like to add on an extra $10 or $20 to your entry fee, every little bit will help get our youngsters to Tasmania to compete on the World stage.  If you would like to make a larger, separate (and yes, tax deductible) donation, please paypal it separately to fu...@usauwh.com with a notation that it is for the Juniors Worlds team.

  • Lodging: A block of rooms will be reserved at the Super 8 Hotel, 12055 Melody Drive, Westminster, CO at a tournament rate of $82 a night plus tax (includes a simple breakfast).  To reserve, call 303-451-7200 and mention Underwater Hockey Old Timers to get the rate. Deadline to book is August 16.  There are a number of other hotels in the area as well if you want something fancier.

  • Raffle:  We are putting together a raffle to benefit the Juniors teams.  If you have anything to donate to the raffle, please let Wendy (wen...@comcast.net) know!  It doesn’t HAVE to be valuable or even new – it just has to be fun!  Maybe some silly hockey memorobilia? A box of homemade cookies? How about an offer to paint someone’s toenails or buy someone a drink at the banquet? (Of course, if you have an extra brand new Ferrari lying around, please go right ahead and throw that into the pot as well.)

  • Photos!  We would love to put together a photo collage for the banquet. Dig out those old photos, scan then and upload to the shared drive below.  We can all marvel at how young we once looked.

PLEASE SEND IN YOUR PAYMENT BY JULY 10.

Yes, this is rather early but we need a good headcount to know whether to finalize everything and pull the trigger. So if you wanna go, pay up!  But don’t book your flight just yet – we will let everyone know after the 10th that it’s a definite go.

Payment can be Paypal’d to fu...@usauwh.com or checks (made payable to USOA) sent to:
USOA Underwater Hockey
Postal Annex
39270 Paseo Padre Parkway, Box #452
Fremont, CA 94538

Once your payment is in, please update the shared doc with your info and playing level for formation of potluck teams.

There is also a tab on the document with names of some Old Timers who may be lost to hockeynet. If you have their email, or can forward on information to these people, please do so and let us know that you did. And feel free to add names to the list!

Oh yes… there have been a lot of questions about the “eligibility” requirements. Apparently some younger folks think this sounds like a whole lot of fun.  Well, the Committee feels that if you are interested in hanging out with a bunch of old farts for the weekend, then you are definitely an Old Timer in spirit and you are welcome to join in.

Your Old Timers Committee:
Ben & Karen Erickson (flin...@yahoo.com)
Agnes Debrunner (agnesde...@icloud.com)
Wendy Okafuji (wen...@comcast.net)