Old Timers Underwater Hockey Tournament

Karen Erickson

Jun 4, 2016, 1:32:56 PM6/4/16
to Hockeynet - Underwater Hockey International List
Old Timers:

At a recent UWH tounament some of us older players were hanging out complaining about aches and pains, how tired we were, how getting into the pool for so many games a day just wasn’t very easy any more.  And just who ARE all these youngsters we don’t know??

And so an idea was born… an OLD TIMERS tournament. A laid back, fun tournament where we can bring some Old Timers out of the woodwork and hang out with friends that we haven’t seen in years or maybe even decades. So dust off your fins, get the cobwebs out of your mask, and come have some fun!

Details:
  • When:  Saturday & Sunday, September 17 & 18 with a banquet on Sunday.
  • Where:  Denver, CO, VMAC pool (where Nationals will be held this year for those of you who even remember Nationals)

Eligiblity:  You qualify as an Old Timer if you are at least 42 as of 7/1/16 OR you can answer YES to at least 5 of the following:
  • You have played hockey at least once in the last 20 years
  • You own a hockey t-shirt from a tournament prior to the millennium
  • You have ever had a demarcation line on your hockey stick
  • You remember when duct tape only came in gray
  • You were once a member of Club Fred
  • You’ve played UWH with a shuffleboard-style stick
  • You’ve been stitched up by Dr. Ken
  • You have attended a hockey banquet where a Woody was awarded
  • You have witnessed or participated in naked butterfly races
  • You can name the Party Coach
  • You own a real, hard copy photo given to you by Wayne Parsons
  • Your kids can kick your ass in the pool
  • You won the party

Proposed Ground Rules:
  • Potluck format: equal teams based on self-assessment (i.e. how well you remember you played)
  • 12 people are allowed on a team; 12 in the water is acceptable
  • First game doesn’t start until 10 am
  • Last game will end by Happy Hour
  • There will be a scheduled nap time in the afternoon
  • 15 minute games (yes, that’s TOTAL game time, not per half time)
  • Wedgies are allowed and in fact encouraged
  • Refs are nice to haves but not mandatory

All profits will go to help fund the Juniors Worlds Teams for 2017

ARE YOU IN?  We need to gauge interest and see if we can really pull this thing off!  Fill in your info in the shared Google doc below as soon as possible - that means NOT on hockey time.  If you don’t know how a shared Google doc works just email one of us back or maybe you can ask your kids for help.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON TO OTHER OLD TIMERS WHO MAY HAVE DROPPED OFF HOCKEYNET!

INTERNATIONAL OLD TIMERS ARE WELCOMED!!

Your Old Timers Committee:
Ben & Karen Erickson (flin...@yahoo.com)
Agnes Debrunner (agnesde...@icloud.com)
Wendy Okafuji (wen...@comcast.net)

Thanks Denver for finding us a pool!!

The older we get, the better we thought we were.
--Masters UWH T-shirt

jason

Jun 5, 2016, 5:03:38 AM6/5/16
to Karen Erickson, Hockeynet - Underwater Hockey International List

OMFG.... I qualify. 😦

~~~jz~~~

Brigit Grimm

Jun 5, 2016, 2:53:15 PM6/5/16
to hock...@googlegroups.com
Jason, you should be excited!  A dinosaur who's still playing!  We rock!
Brigit

jason

Jun 5, 2016, 2:56:26 PM6/5/16
to Brigit Grimm, hock...@googlegroups.com