ANN: hledger-1.13

Simon Michael

Feb 1, 2019, 9:11:03 PM2/1/19
to hledger, haskell-cafe
I'm pleased to announce the release of hledger 1.13,
the first hledger release of 2019!
Thank you release contributors Jakob Schöttl and Dmitry Astapov.

hledger is a robust, cross-platform plain text accounting tool, for
tracking money, time, stocks, cryptocurrencies or any other commodity,
using double-entry accounting, private or shared plain text files,
revision control, and command-line, curses or web UIs.
Find out more at http://hledger.org and http://plaintextaccounting.org.

Release notes (condensed, see http://hledger.org/release-notes):
-------------

project-wide changes for 1.13

- packaging: A docker image providing the main hledger tools is now
linked on the download page. This is another way to get up-to-date
hledger tools without building them yourself (and, a way to run
hledger-ui on windows ?) (Dmitry Astapov, Simon Michael)

- doc: fixed pandoc typography conversion in web manuals. Eg -- was
being rendered as en-dash. (#954).

hledger 1.13

- cli: reorganised commands list. Addons now have a + prefix.

- cli: the command line help and manual section for all hledger’s
commands are now consistent, and generated from the same source.

- cli: comprehensive bash completion support is now provided (in
shell-completion/). See how-to in the Cookbook. (Jakob Schöttl)

- balance –budget: budget amounts now aggregate hierarchically, like
account balances. Unbudgeted accounts can be shown with -E/–empty
(along with zero-balance accounts), and the –show-budgeted flag has
been dropped. (Dmitry Astapov)

- balance: new –transpose flag switches the rows and columns of
tabular balance reports (in txt and csv output formats). (Dmitry
Astapov)

- close: generated balance assertions now have exact amounts with all
decimal digits, ignoring display precision. Also, balance assertion
amounts will no longer contain prices. (#941, #824, #958)

- files: now shows up in the commands list

- import: be silent when there’s nothing to import

- roi: percentages smaller than 0.01% are displayed as zero (Dmitry
Astapov)

- stats, ui: correct file order is preserved when using –auto (#949)

- journal: account directive: the account name can now be followed by
a comment on the same line

- journal: account directive: account types for the bs/bse/cf/is
commands can now be set with a type: tag, whose value is Asset,
Liability, Equity, Revenue, Expense, A, L, E, R or X
(case-insensitive). The previous syntax (account assets A) is now
deprecated.

- journal: account directive: account sort codes like account 1000
(introduced in 1.9, deprecated in 1.11) are no longer supported.

- journal: transaction modifiers (auto postings) can affect periodic
transactions (–auto can add postings to transactions generated with
–forecast). (Dmitry Astapov)

- journal: balance assertion errors now show exact amounts with all
decimal digits. Previously it was possible, in case of a commodity
directive limiting the display precision, to have a balance
assertion error with asserted and actual amounts looking the same.
(#941)

- journal: fixed a periodic transaction parsing failure (#942) (Dmitry
Astapov)

hledger-ui 1.13

- on posix systems, control-z suspends the program

- control-l now works everywhere and redraws more reliably

- the top status info is clearer

Getting started:
----------------

All install methods are described at http://hledger.org/download :
windows binaries, system packages, docker, nix, cabal, stack, hledger
installer, etc. Some of these might take a few days to become up to
date. On systems with bash installed, the hledger installer is a
reliable way to get the latest release of hledger:

$ curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/simonmichael/hledger/master/hledger-install/hledger-install.sh > hledger-install.sh
$ less hledger-install.sh # satisfy yourself that the script is safe
$ bash hledger-install.sh

Then try:

$ hledger # list available commands
$ hledger help # list built-in manuals

Tutorials and all other docs: http://hledger.org

Chat: #hledger on Freenode or Matrix -
http://irc.hledger.org or http://riot.hledger.org .

New and old users, contributors, all feedback, always welcome!

Best,
-Simon

niels...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2019, 11:44:30 AM2/2/19
to hledger
Congratulations on the first hledger release of 2019!!! My thanks to everyone who contributed to this. I find hledger to be such a useful tool, so I am grateful for all the good work that has gone into this.

The hledger install routine seemed to go quite well, and my version is now showing as 1.13. The only thing I saw in the installation that looked a little odd was the following. Is this something that I can just ignore?

Installing hledger-api

Trying stack install --install-ghc --resolver=lts-13 hledger-api-1.13 hledger-1.13 hledger-lib-1.13 brick-0.46 text-zipper-0.10.1 config-ini-0.2.4.0 data-clist-0.1.2.2 word-wrap-0.4.1 --verbosity=info

HttpExceptionRequest Request {

  host                 = "s3.amazonaws.com"

  port                 = 443

  secure               = True

  requestHeaders       = [("Accept","application/json"),("User-Agent","The Haskell Stack")]

  path                 = "/haddock.stackage.org/snapshots.json"

  queryString          = ""

  method               = "GET"

  proxy                = Nothing

  rawBody              = False

  redirectCount        = 10

  responseTimeout      = ResponseTimeoutDefault

  requestVersion       = HTTP/1.1

}

 (ConnectionFailure Network.Socket.getAddrInfo (called with preferred socket type/protocol: AddrInfo {addrFlags = [AI_ADDRCONFIG], addrFamily = AF_UNSPEC, addrSocketType = Stream, addrProtocol = 6, addrAddress = <assumed to be undefined>, addrCanonName = <assumed to be undefined>}, host name: Just "s3.amazonaws.com", service name: Just "443"): does not exist (nodename nor servname provided, or not known))

Simon Michael

Feb 5, 2019, 3:45:16 PM2/5/19
to hledger
Sorry - yes, that looks like a transient outage that you can ignore since you're probably not using hledger-api. (The installer is doing its job here and not letting that disrupt installation of the other packages). I imagine it would work if tried again with the wind in the east.

Eli Flanagan

Feb 9, 2019, 10:24:49 AM2/9/19
to hledger
Thank you all for working on this! I am glad to use hledger freely and find it quite useful.