Upgrade to Hippo CMS 11

Riaz Tai

Oct 14, 2016, 5:00:14 AM10/14/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading to Hippo 11 and have been through the steps as mentioned in the online documentation [1]
I notice that during the build of the cms module (include-locales), it is trying to download localized versions of components and plugins such as hippo-essentials-components-l10n-3.0.2-en.jar but fails to find the jar files. Searching the https://maven.onehippo.com repository I can see there are jar files for various locales except for en.

The build completes successfully. I'm just wondering whether this is something of a concern or not?

Thanks
Riaz

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 14, 2016, 5:05:45 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Riaz Tai <riaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of upgrading to Hippo 11 and have been through the
> steps as mentioned in the online documentation [1]
> I notice that during the build of the cms module (include-locales), it is
> trying to download localized versions of components and plugins such as
> hippo-essentials-components-l10n-3.0.2-en.jar but fails to find the jar
> files. Searching the https://maven.onehippo.com repository I can see there
> are jar files for various locales except for en.
>
> The build completes successfully. I'm just wondering whether this is
> something of a concern or not?

I suspect you missed the step to remove essentials from your
dependency management, see [1]

HTH,

Regards Ard

[1] https://www.onehippo.org/library/upgrade-10-to-11/upgrade-project-files.html
> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about
> Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

> "Hippo Community" group.
> email to hippo-communi...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community.

Hippo Netherlands, Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hippo USA, Inc. 71 Summer Street, 2nd Floor Boston, MA 02110, United
states of America.

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

Oscar Scholten

Oct 14, 2016, 5:12:44 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Riaz,

Did you include "en" in the list of locales? Note that "en" need not be listed, the labels for English are included by default.

Cheers, Oscar

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Riaz Tai <riaz...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 71 Summer Street, Boston, MA 02110

Europe +31(0)20 522 4466

Riaz Tai

Riaz Tai

Oct 14, 2016, 9:45:24 AM10/14/16
to Hippo Community
So it all builds successfully now but starting up I'm getting the following error:

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 14.10.2016 14:10:13 ERROR localhost-startStop-1 [DefaultHstSiteConfigurer.initializeComponentManager:300] HstSiteConfigServlet: ComponentManager initialization failed.
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Invalid bean definition with name 'jaxrsHstConfigJacksonJsonModule' defined in class path resource [org/hippoecm/hst/pagecomposer/SpringComponentManager-pagecomposer.xml]: Could not resolve placeholder 'project.version' in string value "${project.version}"; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not resolve placeholder 'project.version' in string value "${project.version}"
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PlaceholderConfigurerSupport.doProcessProperties(PlaceholderConfigurerSupport.java:211)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer.processProperties(PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer.java:222)

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 14, 2016, 10:36:56 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Riaz,

I think this is a bug, but I don't understand why you hit it but we
don't have this problem.

Do you start with mvn locally and have this problem or do you have
this during deployment to test/acct/prod?

Also since you are a customer (I guess because you can read the
customer documentation), can you file an issue in your project in JIRA
so helpdesk can also pick it up (and I can get some formal time to
investigate your issue)

In the mean time, I am curious how you start up (since it works for
us, though I see there is a problem actually)

Regards Ard

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 14, 2016, 10:57:51 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Ps which Spring version do you use? Something else than
spring-beans-4.2.6.RELEASE?

I think for now I have a workaround for you:

In one of your spring config files in your site below
site/src/main/resources/META-INF/hst-assembly/overrides you have:

<import resource="classpath:/org/hippoecm/hst/pagecomposer/SpringComponentManager-pagecomposer.xml"
/>

Can you test whether adding below that import the following below works

<bean id="jaxrsHstConfigJacksonJsonModule"
class="com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.module.SimpleModule">
<constructor-arg value="JaxRSHstConfigJacksonJsonModule" />
<constructor-arg>
<bean class="com.fasterxml.jackson.core.util.VersionUtil"
factory-method="parseVersion">
<constructor-arg value="4.0.2"/>
<constructor-arg value="org.onehippo.cms7.hst.client-modules"/>
<constructor-arg value="hst-page-composer"/>
</bean>
</constructor-arg>
<constructor-arg>
<list>
<ref bean="annotationJsonSerializer"/>
</list>
</constructor-arg>
</bean>

I am curious if the above solves your issue. I'll also fix it in
master and backport to 11.0. Still I don't know why it fails for you
but not for us. Perhaps because you have a different Spring version
which is less lenient for unresolvable property placeholders.

Regards Ard

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 14, 2016, 11:02:43 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Ps some more info: We ship the HST with the following
PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer:

<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
<property name="ignoreUnresolvablePlaceholders" value="true" />
<property name="systemPropertiesModeName"
value="SYSTEM_PROPERTIES_MODE_FALLBACK" />
<property name="location"
value="classpath:/org/hippoecm/hst/site/container/SpringComponentManager.properties"
/>
</bean>

Did you happen to configure one yourself as well? Most notably, we
have <property name="ignoreUnresolvablePlaceholders" value="true" />

[1] might give you some more hints. Either way, as said, I see that
the build does not correctly replace ${project.version} with the
correct value, but since we use ignoreUnresolvablePlaceholders=true,
it doesn't harm that much normally (and thus we didn't notice it).

Regards Ard

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4779572/could-not-resolve-spring-property-placeholder

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Ard Schrijvers

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 14, 2016, 11:16:28 AM10/14/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
I've created [1] and [2] for it. I'll fix them Monday. In the meantime
you can try my suggested workaround or make sure you have
ignoreUnresolvablePlaceholders=true.

HTH,

Regards Ard

[1] https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-3839
[2] https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-3840

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Ard Schrijvers

Riaz Tai

Oct 14, 2016, 11:37:18 AM10/14/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Ard,

Thanks for your responses.

I can confirm that we have spring 4.2.6.RELEASE but we do have ignore-resource-not-found set to false in applicationContext.xml. (I'll change it to true and try again).

I'll also try your workaround.

Regards
Riaz

Riaz Tai

Oct 14, 2016, 12:57:04 PM10/14/16
to Hippo Community
Changing the ignore-resource-not-found to true did allow the application to start up but throws exception when trying to access a page.

The workaround however, does work. The application now starts up successfully.

Thanks
Riaz

Ard Schrijvers

Oct 17, 2016, 4:46:32 AM10/17/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Riaz Tai <riaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changing the ignore-resource-not-found to true did allow the application to

Seems to me that ' ignore-resource-not-found' is something different
than 'ignoreUnresolvablePlaceholders' isn't? The latter needs to be
set to true.

> start up but throws exception when trying to access a page.
>
> The workaround however, does work. The application now starts up
> successfully.

for now you can use the workaround. After the next release, I
recommend to remove the workaround again

Regards Ard