Eastlink email question

Al Smith

May 16, 2009, 3:07:04 PM5/16/09
If I want to set up a second e-mail account with Eastlink for my
wife, do I just use the same e-mail password that I'm using for my
own account? Do I just enter her e-mail address and other
information in the newsreader part of my browser, along with this
password? Or do I need to contact Eastlink?

-Al-

Cape Breton Barbarian

May 16, 2009, 2:18:28 PM5/16/09

"Al Smith" <inv...@address.com> wrote in message

contact Eastlink to set up the email address (it may already be in use by
another subscriber)

Haggis

May 16, 2009, 4:21:37 PM5/16/09

"Cape Breton Barbarian" <capebretonbarbarian@g*mail.com> wrote in message

you provide them with 'preferred' email and password ...and if lucky its not
in use..

I believe you can have up to 5 seperate emails

hth

Rick Walker

May 16, 2009, 4:25:32 PM5/16/09

"Haggis" wrote:

> you provide them with 'preferred' email and password ...and if lucky its
> not in use..
>
> I believe you can have up to 5 seperate emails

Aliant has a "Main User" account, and 4 other accounts are available as
well. That's standard.

- Rick

Picasso

May 16, 2009, 5:19:56 PM5/16/09

should be able to login to the eastlink site an do it yourself

use your internet logon and password and you can make 4 additional with
unique passwords.

Al Smith

May 16, 2009, 6:34:01 PM5/16/09

Do you know if it would work were I just to use my existing
password, and set up a user ID in her e-mail client -- that is, all
the same info except for the address itself. She has her own
computer but it's on the same cable modem as mine. Or do I need to
go on the Eastlink website, or phone Eastlink to do it?

-Al-

Rick Walker

May 16, 2009, 6:09:33 PM5/16/09

"Al Smith" wrote:

> Do you know if it would work were I just to use my existing password, and
> set up a user ID in her e-mail client -- that is, all the same info except
> for the address itself. She has her own computer but it's on the same
> cable modem as mine. Or do I need to go on the Eastlink website, or phone
> Eastlink to do it?

Al, although we're with Aliant my wife has her own e-mail and she called
Aliant to help her out with setting it up.

But we do share the same modem, and she now has her own e-mail address.

- Rick

Picasso

May 16, 2009, 6:14:07 PM5/16/09

You can't setup a user id in the client.

You have to set it up with eastlink on the website first, then she can
go through and use the id that you setup, and the password you create
for her.

shouldn't have to phone them at all. i just set up another one. we
have the main acct.

Modem use isn't an issue, they can all use separate modems...

Any problems i'm sure eastlink will help ya over the phone

Al Smith

May 16, 2009, 10:07:28 PM5/16/09

OK, thanks. I'll try getting on my user page (if there is such a
thing), and see what's there to play with.

-Al-

Al Smith

May 16, 2009, 10:08:33 PM5/16/09

Seems as if I'll have to do something extra, either over the phone
or on my accounts page.

-Al-

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 8:21:53 AM5/17/09

"Al Smith" wrote:

> Seems as if I'll have to do something extra, either over the phone
> or on my accounts page.

Aliant helped her greatly over the phone - that's what I'd do, Al.

- Rick

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 9:30:32 AM5/17/09

"Donna Whitman" wrote:

> "Rick Walker" wrote:

>> Aliant helped her greatly over the phone - that's what I'd do, Al.

> That doesn't give the second party on your account any privacy if you
> know their password. I'd recommend they immediately change the
> password the first time they log on to their e-mail account. Only if
> it's a minor does the account holder need to have that kind of access.

The first thing she did was change the password. It keeps her stuff
private (not that she's trying to be secretive, but lots of the stuff she
does in her job isn't any of my business.) Real estate info contains a lot
of personal information, so it's best kept private.

- Rick

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 9:32:36 AM5/17/09

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> Lol - his wife needs a yahoo/hotmail/gmail addy, then she can have
> private emails without Al's supervision.

At the moment she has 6 different e-mail adresses.

> Back in the Dark Ages I remember when yahoo first came along a lot of
> men complaining about that aspect :(

I trust my wife - no fears there, Sheena.

> However, sometimes one wants more than one address on the ISP. I send
> out a mailing but I like to do that on my second addy so that if any
> spam is generated, it won't be on my 'real' addy. The only time I
> particularly think about it is when Eastlink emails about something,
> then for a second I wonder why they sent it to me twice.

I have 2 - one I use for friends and the like, and the other I use when
I sign up for something that might generate spam. It's very handy to have a
couple, I must say.

- Rick

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 12:50:02 PM5/17/09

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> I wasn't talking about you! I was talking about Al - there are other
> people around here you know !

Oh, "bog off", you snotty old Scot. I was merely making a comment on
multiple e-mails.

- Rick

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 12:51:18 PM5/17/09

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> A friend...

I'm surprised you have any.

- Rick

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 1:29:53 PM5/17/09

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> You are tiresome, always insults when you are incorrect.

It doesn't stop you from entering any post you feel suited for - I was
only trying to help, something you might not understand.

You're just a pain in the ass. Period.

- Rick

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 1:30:47 PM5/17/09

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

> Well if I had to brown nose like you, I would not want any !

You're not too bad at insults either, wine breath.

- Rick

Message has been deleted

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 1:34:53 PM5/17/09

"Donna Whitman" wrote:

> I'm not speaking of anyone in particular but, if anyone doesn't like
> me as I am, then they're not meant to be my friend. That's not to say
> that they may not be a nice person ....just not someone I would want
> to "bond" with. People generally base friendships on common interests,
> passions, etc. No one should have to persuade anyone to be their
> friend.

Good point - I know who my friends are (you're one of them, Donna), and
I know who (no names) my friends aren't.

- Rick

Message has been deleted

oldtrout

May 17, 2009, 2:03:10 PM5/17/09
Donna Whitman wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:25:35 -0300, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>> Well if I had to brown nose like you, I would not want any !
>

> I'm not speaking of anyone in particular but, if anyone doesn't like
> me as I am, then they're not meant to be my friend. That's not to say
> that they may not be a nice person ....just not someone I would want
> to "bond" with. People generally base friendships on common interests,
> passions, etc. No one should have to persuade anyone to be their
> friend.

What's with this "bond with", "passions", ETC.? :-{)>

--
oldtrout - �rsaidh-breac
Gum bi si\th leat

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 2:04:53 PM5/17/09

"oldtrout" wrote:

> What's with this "bond with", "passions", ETC.? :-{)>

One's a reference to Crazy Glue, and the other's a soap opera. :-)

- Rick

Al Smith

May 17, 2009, 6:03:52 PM5/17/09
On 5/17/2009 8:27 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> Al go here
>
> http://www.eastlink.ca/internet/webmail/Setup.asp
>
> and it's a no brainer, set it up yourself. When she downloads her
> mail, that's where it comes from; I intercept mine when I am not here
> on the webmail, but in the normal way it just downloads to Outlook
> when I am here.

Thanks for the link. Web mail might be better for her, if there
aren't too many annoying advertisements on it. I haven't bothered to
set up a Web mail account since I haven't needed it.

In general, though, I find locating and changing stuff in Eastlink
much more awkward than it was with Aliant Sympatico. I still don't
have an Eastlink Web page because I just couldn't figure out how to
set one up.

-Al-

Al Smith

May 17, 2009, 6:14:27 PM5/17/09
On 5/17/2009 8:41 AM, Donna Whitman wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:21:53 -0300, "Rick Walker" <R...@WR.com> wrote:
>
> That doesn't give the second party on your account any privacy if you
> know their password. I'd recommend they immediately change the
> password the first time they log on to their e-mail account. Only if
> it's a minor does the account holder need to have that kind of access.

It's not really a problem. I'm not going to snoop.

-Al-

Al Smith

May 17, 2009, 6:19:10 PM5/17/09

I was just looking at the Web mail page. It's not at all obvious
what must be done. I suppose it is if you already know, but I don't
know, and it isn't obvious.

Web mail doesn't seem like the right thing for me, since it is
associated with the regular e-mail address, so I'm going to set up
an entirely separate e-mail account. The pages say just insert your
e-mail address and password, but they don't say if you need a second
password for a second e-mail account, and if so, how you are to get
it. I believe (I'm guessing) that I need a separate password for a
second, separate e-mail account. I'm going to try mucking around on
my accounts page and see if I can find something that will allow me
to set up a second e-mail account, before I call Eastlink on the phone.

-Al-

Rick Walker

May 17, 2009, 5:25:35 PM5/17/09

"Al Smith" wrote:

> I was just looking at the Web mail page. It's not at all obvious what must
> be done. I suppose it is if you already know, but I don't know, and it
> isn't obvious.
>
> Web mail doesn't seem like the right thing for me, since it is associated
> with the regular e-mail address, so I'm going to set up an entirely
> separate e-mail account. The pages say just insert your e-mail address and
> password, but they don't say if you need a second password for a second
> e-mail account, and if so, how you are to get it. I believe (I'm guessing)
> that I need a separate password for a second, separate e-mail account. I'm
> going to try mucking around on my accounts page and see if I can find
> something that will allow me to set up a second e-mail account, before I
> call Eastlink on the phone.

Good plan. When my wife set up her e-mail account, she wanted her own
password too - I said it wasn't necessary because first of all I don't
snoop... second of all she runs Vista - I don't go near that thing, just out
of choice. :)

- Rick

Brian Smith

May 18, 2009, 4:08:38 PM5/18/09
Rick Walker wrote:

> Al, although we're with Aliant my wife has her own e-mail and she
> called Aliant to help her out with setting it up.

Actually I called Aliant and set her e-mail account up for her years ago.

> But we do share the same modem, and she now has her own e-mail address.

The modem has nothing to do with an e-mail account.

Brian Smith

May 18, 2009, 4:11:33 PM5/18/09
Rick Walker wrote:

> Good plan. When my wife set up her e-mail account, she wanted her
> own password too - I said it wasn't necessary because first of all I
> don't snoop... second of all she runs Vista - I don't go near that
> thing, just out of choice. :)

A good story, but not what she said when she asked me to set her
account up for her.