Re: 50 Nobel Laureates and Other Great Scientists Who Believe in God

James Warren

Jan 12, 2016, 9:11:59 PM1/12/16
On 2016-01-12 9:27 PM, Nobody wrote:
> [...]
> (rejected Trinitarianism, i.e., Athanasianism;
> believed in the Arianism of the Primitive Church)
> Galileo Galilei Founder of Experimental Physics Catholic
> Nicolaus Copernicus Founder of Heliocentric Cosmology Catholic
> (priest)
> Johannes Kepler Founder of Physical Astronomy and Modern Optics
> Lutheran
> Francis Bacon Founder of the Scientific Inductive Method
> Anglican
> René Descartes Founder of Analytical Geometry and Modern Philosophy
> Catholic
> Blaise Pascal Founder of Hydrostatics, Hydrodynamics,
> and the Theory of Probabilities Jansenist
> Michael Faraday Founder of Electronics and Electro-Magnetics
> Sandemanian
> James Clerk Maxwell Founder of Statistical Thermodynamics Presbyterian;
> Anglican; Baptist
> Lord Kelvin Founder of Thermodynamics and Energetics Anglican
> Robert Boyle Founder of Modern Chemistry Anglican
> William Harvey Founder of Modern Medicine Anglican
> (nominal)
> John Ray Founder of Modern Biology and Natural History Calvinist
> (denomination?)
> Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Mathematician and Philosopher,
> Founder of Infinitesimal Calculus Lutheran
> Charles Darwin Founder of the Theory of Evolution Anglican
> (nominal); Unitarian
> Ernst Haeckel German Biologist,
> the Most Influential Evolutionist in Continental Europe
> Thomas H. Huxley English Biologist and Evolutionist,
> Famous As "Darwin's Bulldog"
> Joseph J. Thomson Nobel Laureate in Physics, Discoverer of the Electron,
> Founder of Atomic Physics Anglican
> Louis Pasteur Founder of Microbiology and Immunology Catholic
> Part V. Great Philosophers (17-21 Century)
> Immanuel Kant One of the Greatest Philosophers
> in the History of Western Philosophy Lutheran
> Jean-Jacques Rousseau Founder of Modern Deism born Protestant;
> converted as a teen to Catholic
> Voltaire French Philosopher and Historian,
> One of the Most Influential Thinkers of the Enlightenment raised in
> Jansenism
> David Hume Scottish Empiricist Philosopher, Historian, and Economist,
> Founder of Modern Skepticism Church of Scotland (Presbyterian)
> Spinoza Dutch-Jewish Philosopher,
> the Chief Exponent of Modern Rationalism Judaism; later
> pantheism/deism
> Giordano Bruno Italian Philosopher, Astronomer, and Mathematician,
> Founder of the Theory of the Infinite Universe Catholic
> George Berkeley Irish Philosopher and Mathematician, Founder of Modern
> Idealism,
> Famous as "The Precursor of Mach and Einstein" Anglican
> John Stuart Mill English Philosopher and Economist,
> the Major Exponent of Utilitarianism agnostic; Utilitarian
> Richard Swinburne Oxford Professor of Philosophy,
> One of the Most Influential Theistic Philosophers

So what? Instead of listing them why not list their argument for their belief. We can
then examine them and critique them on their merit.

Do you have any arguments of your own?

--
-jw

Jack

Jan 12, 2016, 10:40:58 PM1/12/16
who knew, Jimmy is smarter than Einstein!! hahahahahahahaha what a maroon...

James Warren

Jan 13, 2016, 8:02:00 AM1/13/16
Is Einstein on that list? Einstein was pissed off that people claimed he was
religious. He wasn't.

--
-jw

resident

Jan 13, 2016, 9:27:03 AM1/13/16
Yes!

James Warren

Jan 13, 2016, 9:31:55 AM1/13/16
That is a mistake. It annoyed Einstein to be called a theist. Einstein's god
was very much like Spinoza's god - the laws of nature.

--
-jw

resident

Jan 14, 2016, 6:14:54 PM1/14/16
Finally read the post did you?

James Warren

Jan 14, 2016, 6:32:20 PM1/14/16
A long list of names proves nothing, especially when it contains errors.

--
-jw

James Warren

Jan 15, 2016, 7:53:14 AM1/15/16
On 2016-01-15 1:30 AM, Nobody wrote:
> On January 13 09:01, James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is Einstein on that list? Einstein was pissed off that people claimed he was
>> religious. He wasn't.

> wrote: “everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes
> convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a Spirit vastly
> superior to that of man.” And during a talk at Union Theological Seminary on the
> relationship between religion and science, Einstein declared: “the situation may
> be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without
> science is blind.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

Personal god and the afterlife[edit]

Einstein expressed his skepticism regarding an anthropomorphic deity, often describing it as "naïve"
and "childlike". He stated, "It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological
concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the
human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the
logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we
have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral
obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems."[8]

On 24 April 1929, Einstein cabled Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein in German: "I believe in Spinoza's God,
who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the
fate and the doings of mankind."[9] He expanded on this in written answers he gave to a Japanese
scholar on his views on science and religion, which appeared as a limited edition publication, on
the occasion of Einstein's 50th birthday:

Scientific research can reduce superstition by encouraging people to think and view things in terms
of cause and effect. Certain it is that a conviction, akin to religious feeling, of the rationality
and intelligibility of the world lies behind all scientific work of a higher order... This firm
belief, a belief bound up with a deep feeling, in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world
of experience, represents my conception of God. In common parlance this may be described as
"pantheistic" (Spinoza).[10]

In a letter to Beatrice Frohlich, 17 December 1952 Einstein stated, "The idea of a personal God is
quite alien to me and seems even naïve."[11] Eric Gutkind sent a copy of his book "Choose Life: The
Biblical Call To Revolt"[12] to Einstein in 1954. Einstein sent Gutkind a letter in response and
wrote, "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the
Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends. No interpretation no matter how
subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to
their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text."[13][14][15]

On the question of an afterlife Einstein stated to a Baptist pastor, "I do not believe in
immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no
superhuman authority behind it."[16] This sentiment was also expressed in Einstein's The World as I
See It, stating: "I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will
of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical
death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or
absurd egoism of feeble souls. Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of
the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a
portion, be it never so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature."[17]

On 22 March 1954 Einstein received a letter from Joseph Dispentiere, an Italian immigrant who had
worked as an experimental machinist in New Jersey. Dispentiere had declared himself an atheist and
was disappointed by a news report which had cast Einstein as conventionally religious. Einstein
replied on 24 March 1954:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being
systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have
expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded
admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.[18]

--
-jw

James Warren

Jan 15, 2016, 10:12:35 AM1/15/16
On 2016-01-15 11:04 AM, Nobody wrote:
> So, he believed in A god, just not a personal god. Thank you for proving my point.
> He also made it quite clear that he was NOT an atheist and did not want to be
> associated with that label in any way.

His "god" was the laws of physics. This kind of god is no god at all, at least not in
the sense claimed by any religion.

Since this point is so important to you, I trust that you are now satisfied.

BTW Is transubstantiation nonsense? What do you say?

--
-jw

James Warren

Jan 15, 2016, 10:43:59 AM1/15/16
On 2016-01-15 11:33 AM, Nobody wrote:
> His God was much more than that, according to him.
>

>> Since this point is so important to you, I trust that you are now satisfied.
>
> It's not about being satisfied. It's just about revealing the truth that you're a
> coward and a liar, and that although you profess to be a devout atheist, you
> actually know very little about atheism. You're nothing more than a puppet who
> parrots everything he reads on the Atheist fanboy sites.

You have no idea. I came out as an atheist at age 14, too many years ago, long
before the internet, and long before there were even many books on it. I present
my arguments and new ones generated by new science.

You present nothing.

James Warren

Jan 15, 2016, 11:09:10 AM1/15/16
On 2016-01-15 12:02 PM, Nobody wrote:
> On January 15 11:43, James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You present nothing.
>
> I've presented lots. You just don't like what you see so you deny it. As usual.

Like what?

--
-jw

HRM Resident

Jan 15, 2016, 11:17:27 AM1/15/16
You guys are better at this than I am! I'm waiting for the:

Is not!
Is too!

Is not!
Is too!

Is not!
Is too!

Is not!
Is too!

Is not!
Is too!

Is not!
Is too!

Is not!
Is too!

thread to begin. For the record, I'm torn between "Is not!" and
"Is too!" views. It's the agnostic in me. :-) I'm going with "Is
plausible!" :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Jan 15, 2016, 11:20:31 AM1/15/16
You have shortened this thread by 14 posts!! Well done! :)

--
-jw

resident

Jan 15, 2016, 5:54:39 PM1/15/16
You forgot to say that's just your opinion.

James Warren

Jan 15, 2016, 6:40:09 PM1/15/16
Is that your way of saying that I am wrong? If so, what does a long list
of names prove?

--
-jw

resident

Jan 15, 2016, 7:08:52 PM1/15/16
No. It's my way of saying that what you said is just an opinion.

> If so, what does a long list
> of names prove?

Read the link.

James Warren